How soon after quitting smoking does the shortness of breath go away? -

Sunday, January 8, 2012

How soon after quitting smoking does the shortness of breath go away? -


This question is for former smokers. If a person stops smoking, how soon afterward will the shortness of breath go away if that person is otherwise healthy and fit? Also, how soon will taste return?
First of all, if you just quit smoking, CONGRATULATIONS. You did yourself a big favor.

You should start expecting your taste and smell to start improving after 48 hours. This process will be gradual but after 9-14 days your sense of taste will return to normal. Your smelling ability will wait till your cough clears up. This could take up to 4 weeks, depending on how much do your lungs exercise.

Shortness of breath will start getting better 72 hours after your quit but it depends on your activity level. If you do yoga ( kapalbhati -
http://www.how-to-quit-cigarettes.com/yo…
) you could see great results in less than 10 days. Alternatively vigorous running, jogging, and cardio will help your lungs clear up soon and your breathing will become -better- between 5-7 days). It might take up to a month for a fit person who exercises regularly to get back his/her breathing to normal.

The above values may vary based on your weight, the number of cigarettes you smoked every day before quitting and the number of years you smoked before you quit.

Just remember, once you start feeling better, use that as your motivation to stay smoke free.

( I smoked for 18 years and quit when I was 30 which means I smoked for more than half my age. After quitting I realized that I never had a reason to smoke, it only did bad to me and all the good things like increasing concentration, releasing stress,etc was only BS and lies that I told myself. My concentration is way more than it ever was, I am a lot happier, more energetic and stress free, ever since I quit smoking. So once you quit, there actually is no reason for you to go back to smoking. THINK AGAIN.)
Can-t really say, as I started exercising and stuff at the same time, and I wasn-t exactly measuring my shortness of breath every day. I wouldn-t recommend quitting with the expectation of feeling better soon -- a watched kettle never boils, as they say, and you-ll probably get frustrated and go back to smoking.

All I can tell you is that I felt better sooner than I expected, and that I-ve always been glad I quit.
That will depend on whether or not there is permanent damage to your lungs. If you have smoked long enough to have emphysema, you might always have some shortness of breath. Otherwise, you should start seeing improvements in just a month or two. Taste can take longer but it should be back within a year.
You-re going to be short of breath if you are just starting a workout program anyway. Dunno how long it takes to come back. But I-m a smoker, and I run 3 miles a day, no problems. Just do what you gotta do, don-t blame the cigarettes. Quit if you want to (you should), but shortness of breath isn-t from the cigarettes, it-s from you working past your ability.
I am on day 7 of quitting. I have noticed that my smell is super sensitive and that food does seem to have more flavor but it does not seem to be that much of a difference.

I have read that it takes different amount of time for different people. Exercise helps and breathing exercises


http://www.stayquit.co.uk/uk/myquit/inde…


I am also using a support group that I love.
depends on the person, how much they smoked...
it took my hair dresser almost 2 yrs. (she smoked for 20 yrs...) it took my boss 18 mnths. (she died from lung cancer) it took my mother-in-law about 2 yrs (then she got cancer and COPD..she-s still alive though, but stuck in the house on oxygen 24/7)
My parents both died before THEY stopped. (my dad was 48 yrs old by 10 days, my mother 54.)
I smoked 2 packs a day for over 20 years before I quite 5 years ago...

I am still out of breath... you see, I waited to long.... I now have COPD and have to use oxygen 24/7, but I-m hanging in there....

But to answer your question... about six weeks before you notice any real difference in breathing.... and my taste has, for the most part, stayed the same.

GOOD LUCK !!!
in about a year all the effects should be minimal or unnoticeable. it depends on how much you smoked and for how long.
God bless and congrats on stopping.
It takes months for me to get better for shortness of breath, but it-s getting better. Stop smoking will stop further damages to your body, it-s TRUE. Good luck!
Took me about two three weeks. I can ride my bike for hours now and not feel like I am going to die cause I can-t get enough air. I still need to train my lungs better after 5 years of killing my lungs!
about a year
How soon after quitting smoking does the shortness of breath go away? -