Have you been able to quit smoking successfuly, how? Thanks!? -

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Have you been able to quit smoking successfuly, how? Thanks!? -


I-ve been smoking about 30 cigs a day now for about 30 years. I-ve quit before for short periods, up to 6 months once. I need all the help I can get!
Its not just the nicotine. Its also the other 50+ chemicals they out in cigarettes. Also the main problem is habit.
We have been used to having body sensations which we translate as -my body needs something, which we have attempted to satisfy by having a cigarette.
When we try to stop smoking, we still get these -my body needs something- sensations, and we still feel that we want a cigarette. We have to train our body to be more selective. When we feel we need something, we have to work out what it is that we actually need.
A glass of water is an excellent substitute if nothing else comes to mind, as it helps with the clearance of the toxic substances in our body. Another good substitute is a bag of salted peanuts, used in combination with the water.
Another thing to do is to find an activity which occupies the mind or body. Go swimming - nobody wants to smoke while they are swimming. Slowly, as our body adjusts and translates the -want something- feelings into something other than cigarettes, then the feelings begin to go away. We know its not a cigarette that the body really needs, because as soon as we-ve had one we still have the feeling, and want another!
I smoked for 35 years, and wanted to quit. I told my doctor, who was more than happy to help. He gave me Wellbutrin, which helped with the cravings. I went to a county sponsored support group once a week, because you get 50% off coupons there for Nicorette etc. products. I drank alot of water to flush my system. Haven-t smoked in 9 month.
sure i did it,it wasn-t easy i did have to take xanax from my doc for about 6 months then winged off that,now i-m totally free from any addictions,you can do it it-s a nansty habit that needs to be broke and it-s definatly not worth your life.good luck
Ohhh, I so remember how it felt when I was in your shoes. I got so mad at myself - I smoked 1 or more packs a day for over 20 years and I really loved it. And I loved the people I smoked with - it felt like a special group of -us against the world- and we all bonded.
I got that patch over the counter. I slapped it on the first night just before I went to bed and didn-t smoke in the A.M. The urges I had were mainly psychological and I tried to stay as busy as I could. I had a stack of cards of all the reasons I wanted to quit - lungs, smell, wrinkles, etc. and I would pull them out when i was having a big urge and remind myself why I was doing it.
Take it one day at a time - say to yourself, I can go this day without smoking. If you put the patch on at night, it lasts until the next night so you are basically covered physically of having withdrawals. Psychologically is another story. I didn-t tell anyone unless they point blank asked me and no one did for about 2 weeks. :) I felt so strong! :) I did grieve for the cigarettes. I thought they were my friend and helped me get thru life. NOT true. Had to tell myself how my friend was hurting me. I decided not to wait until... like wait until the divorce is over, or until teens stop fighting, etc. I did that for 20 years! So I decided no matter what happened this is IT.
Other people thought I was crazy but it made me feel good to know I had a pack of cigarettes - unopened with a lighter next to them - right in my purse. I wanted them near me. I might be crazy but that helped me. That pack had to remain unopened. If you keep up with the patch you won-t have the phsycial withdrawals that get you.
I threw out that old package of cigs about 5 years ago. That was cool. I feel secure that I won-t need them no matter what happens and that if the world came to an end I could always run to 7/11 and get some more! :)
But when I turn 90!!!!....I-m gonna have a ball!
Good luck to you! It-s hard but you can do it!!
there is a new medicine called Chantix...it looks promising
I quit about 9 years ago.
The most important is to start trying to quit...Here is what I did:
First don-t tell anyone that you are quiting because when you have set backs it is easier to try again if you only failed yourself.
Then set goals like:
I-m only going to smoke 15 a day...then keep reducing it. If you don-t succeeded at first don-t beat yourself down just try again tomorrow.
Then keep your packs in inconvenient places...like I worked in retail and I would keep them in the truck. So I-d have to walk out and get one.
Make it a game...and don-t give up and don-t beat yourself down when you fail...because you will at first...but you-ll quit just keep trying!
I smoked for 50 years and quit using the patch.Start by putting the patch on at night before bed.Take lots of walks and drink plenty of water.It is very hard BUT you CAN do it.Just percerver/Good luck
Try Alan Carr-s book, Easy ways to stop smoking. No need to buy the more expensive books: just buy the first one he wrote. It really makes you see cigarettes from another perspective.

PS: the first pages seem to be a big advert for his clinics and his other books. But it only lasts for about 4-5 pages, so it-s ok, it-s not too annoying.
These are the ingredients, maybe it will help, I still cant stop smoking either though.

Acetone: – nail polish remover
Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Hydrazine: – rocket fuel
Hydrogen Cyanide: – rat poison
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Nicotine: – a poison used to kill cockroaches
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element
Hello i have Quit and it-s been 7 1/2 yrs i am 55 yrs and i did it with the Patch system , my wife quit at the same time also .
and i decided that i hated cigs anymore .i started to pull off the filters on them, i needed the nicotine so bad .
that-s when i hated them first( It needs to be that you Hate them)
smoking is mostly ,i think a mental thing you get a mind set and you are on your way, IT helps to have some one to call to and yell
BUG that means i am thinking about a cig, BUT just for a fleeting moment then you continue on with what you were doing
ask your Dr. about wellbutrin. it is a drug commonly given for depression, but it has the tremendous side effect of taking away nicotine cravings. I smoked over a pack of day for 20 years. Would turn into the worst monster imaginable when trying to quit. went on the wellbutrin and had totally stopped smoking within 2 weeks without ANY cravings. I remained on the wellbutrin for about 4 months, long enough to get the nicotine out of my system. worked wonderfully well for me.
After 25 years of smoking I was able to quit. That was just under 30 years ago.

No tricks or gimmicks, just make up your mind and quit -cold-turkey-.

I still consider myself addicted, and I-m sure that If I smoked one time, I-d be hooked again in very short order.
I mentally convinced myself over a period of time that I didn-t want to smoke anymore. I used 4 pieces of nicorette gum and was done. That was 7 yrs ago. Kind of like -I think I can, I think I can- until it just stuck. Only down side for me was gaining weight. Good Luck!
No I been smoking since 1966 when drs tell me to stop I tell them, -many people who quit got cancer, or discovered it, after they quit! So I figure if it ain-t broke why try to fix it?- Good luck w/e ya do!


http://www.willyblues.com/
Have you been able to quit smoking successfuly, how? Thanks!? -