Has anyone had their cholesterol level increase as a result of quitting smoking? -

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Has anyone had their cholesterol level increase as a result of quitting smoking? -


My VLDL cholesterol and triglycerides (up 151 points) increased dramatically after I quit smoking. Now I-m on Zocor to reduce the levels. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also gained 25 lbs. Now working to lose it and finding it harder to get rid of than before I quit.
Hi there,
Congratulations on quitting smoking, I can-t tell you how happy that makes someone in the medical field feel to hear.
It-s not unusual for people to gain weight after quitting smoking, for various reasons. I-ve found that many patients increase snacking and overall calorie intake while they-re in the quitting process to appease the oral fixation that used to be satisfied with a cigarette. If this is what has happened in your case, it follows that your cholesterol levels may have increased too.
Try and make sure your diet now is not too different from what it was when you were a smoker, and make sure you-re cutting back on red meat, fatty foods, and high-salt foods - all of these push up your weight and cholesterol.
Good luck!
You should smoke again, joke:D you should do more exercise to keep every thing in balance:)
Has anyone had their cholesterol level increase as a result of quitting smoking? -