Do i have to quit smoking for a week after i get my teeth pulled dentist said ill get dry socket? -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Do i have to quit smoking for a week after i get my teeth pulled dentist said ill get dry socket? -


Probably not for a week, but you should stop for at least 4 days. Some sources say 3 days, some even say 14 days. This can depend on how complicated your extraction was and how well you heal.

Any kind of suction (smoking, using a straw) can cause dry socket. Dry sockets are quite painful and will delay the healing of your wounds. Smoking causes capillary spasms, which can prevent blood from getting to the healing area, so it can further delay healing.

I had four dry sockets after my wisdom teeth extraction. Mine were caused by not being able to close my mouth because the oral surgeon fractured my jaw.

You do not want to experience the pain of dry sockets. I would rate it up there with childbirth and migraines. I would follow your dentist-s advice.
I never listened to that recommendation and I was OK.
A former coworker ignored the dentist and he got dry socket.
He must have been hitting on the cigarettes hard because it-s the sucking that can pull the clot out of the socket.
Don-t even go to Wendy-s and try to drink a Frosty with a straw.
Do yourself a favour and just quit smoking.

Think how much money you-ll save, how healthier you-ll be and how you won-t stink of stale smoke all the time.

Not just that, you won-t constantly have to have a fag end stuck in your mouth making you look stupid.
I smoked after I got my wisdom teeth pulled out

my gums got all swollen, but I rinsed with salt water like a madman and it was all okay...

I think you should listen to your dentist. Not only will you get dry socket you will risk sucking out the blood clot that formed when he pulled your teeth!
Do i have to quit smoking for a week after i get my teeth pulled dentist said ill get dry socket? -