Today, I quit smoking. Any words of advice and encouragement? -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Today, I quit smoking. Any words of advice and encouragement? -


My boyfriend was hospitalized earlier this week and it scared the hell out of me. I told him that we both need to quit smoking. He hasn-t stop. Hopefully, I can quit and set an example for him. What else should I do when I -need- a cigarette? At what point will I know I have overcome this 10 year addiction?
First of all, congrats. I smoked for 9 years, quit for 4 months, started back up and finally quit for good again. The first time I -quit- was rough. I was mad all the time and thought about smoking every day. It took about 3 full weeks to not feel the cravings anymore. I highly suggest not drinking liquor for awhile either, because every time I drank, I-d smoke. I eventually had to use Wellbutrin which was the best thing in the world to help me quit. Just be patient, let your friends and family know that you-re not purposely being a jerk (if you are), and if you wanna smoke.. DON-T. Take a walk, eat some carrots, chew gum, do anything you can. it-s not easy but I know you can do it. Good luck and stay strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I quit on New Year-s, simply because it was a good landmark occasion. I think the easiest way to quit is to wean yourself off. Not only do you physiologically need cigarettes right now, but you have habits and behaviors associated with smoking (smoking after certain meals, the method you light up and flick your ash, certain friends you smoke with, etc). The best method (other than pharmacological approaches) is to find a replacement. I found exotic teas I like, and now cure and blend tea. Rather than light up, I make a cup of tea. It-s amazing. You will not hear one wheeze when you walk up a flight of stairs.
I don-t think you ever overcome addiction, you just learn to live with it.
Good for you on your decision to quit though. Please know that this will boost your immune system and make you smell better. If your boyfriend persists in his smoking habits, it might be a good time to separate yourself from him.
My dear, smoking has no addiction. It-s all in your head. I am now 65 years old. I have smoked for 30+ years and I quited 10 years ago. It was so easy. I often joked with my friends that I can testify for the cigarette companies that smoking is not addictive.
CONGRATULATIONS! =]

just try to stick with it.. it will most likely be hard. i have faith in you :)
encouragement you do deserve. i hope your b/f is okay? cigs the cause? you will know when your done as you will never crave them anymore. TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!!and reward yourself after every week of non-smoking.when you need a cigarette remember your b/f hosp event. and try walking to take your mind off smoking. remember if you slip?? start over the very next day. sometimes in most cases it takes 4-5 tries. also hospitals have cigarette group. you can call non-smokers anonymous. or nicerette has a toll free number. advantages- better lungs, heart, taste buds,good smells. i have FAITH IN YOU!! let me know if you ever need to talk. e-mail and i will give you my phone # or i can call you and be your support person. i am a nurse. this is a new beginning for you. set that example you will benefit in more ways than one. plus you will have additional money for things you want or savings. - good health to you. now a nonsmoker. REMEMBER, if you would relapse dont torture yourself it took me several trys everyone is different. maybe, your last cig WAS your last. i pray. and i will say alittle prayer for you tonight as well. thanks for listening and reading. dont forget me!! i will be their only an e-mail away.
My dad smoked for 60 plus years. When he died in 2001, my mom didn-t realize how much he spent on his addiction. So, if you stay away from them, you-ll have lots more money :)
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!
Quitting smoking, or any other addictive, in my opinion is one of the hardest mental challenges!
You-re halfway there!!

Try looking for patches etc. (like gum or something too) that can slowly ease you off when you feel like you -need- one. I-m sure you-ll start to feel great as it wears off!! My uncle, a 20 year addict, finally decided to quit a few years ago and now, he says, he feels great -- more energy, more enthusiasm, and everything tastes like it has more flavour.
In my opinion, not that i-ve ever quit (because i never started), you-ll feel it when you feel positive, full of energy when you wake up -- ready to face the world without cigarettes

Hope this helps
take up bubblegum until the cravings fully wear off
I quit several times, for almost a year each time. It seemed like I proved I could do it, so it was OK to go back. This time it has been 2 years at the end of this month, and I won-t go back. The thing that keeps me from doing it is the thought of having to quit all over again, from the beginning. It almost hurts..it-s so hard. I think I have replaced nicotine with caffeine, because when I get a craving I get a cup of coffee. Also, just take it one craving at a time, they pass pretty quick. Good Luck! If at first you don-t succeed, try, try again!!!!
I always tell my patients that every cigarette they smoke is a ticket to the hospital. It isn-t a question of if, it-s a question of when.
be strong and commit to your goal to quit
Stick something else long in your mouth and suck on it,and blow.Already did and will tonight too.
Just don-t buy any and don-t smoke any. That is a disgusting habit. I will not even consider dating a woman who is a smoker, ewwww...
only Today??? but you deciding is good but after i didn-t smoked for 26 days i started all over again
my one and only word for you is -GOOD-JoB!! :] You should be proud for your self and keep up the work and then you just need to keep your goal up and then by the point you might not even know that you have stop smoking already!!
When you have a few drinks and do not want one, or you move to CA or NY where they do not allow smoking indoors. Just do not do it, no matter what . Make an agreement with yourself not to do it. FOrm a bad opion of it, or just look at the bags under your 64 year-old uncle-s eyes (after 50 years of smokin). That shoud do it.
You asked for advice. Here it is. Look at pics of autopsy photos of Smokers- lungs.

http://www.presmark.com/htmlfile/picture…


It-s ok to cry- You-ve been a victim of a multiBillion $$ marketing machine for some time now.
Good Luck- Your brain is even working against you as it feels the only solution for your withdrawal is more nicotine.
I have broken my 37 year, 1 pack a day habit, now for 2 years. I pray to God I never go back. I have quit a hundred times and hated myself each time I took that first hit again because I might as well go by a carton. I tried cold turkey, patches, self hypnosis, gum, and whatever else I could try. Its like it had control of me, I finally got the commit lozenges and that worked for me. I started at the 4 mg, then went to the 2 mg. I keep some nicotine gum around in case of emergencies. I can empathize with drug addicts to a degree, because it has been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I still dream of smoking........but I-m not going back. So start out with a group of friends that will pray for you, and stick to it. Don-t let it take you as long as it did for me. You can do it now and be free from the constant worry of....(wheres my cigarettes, my lighter, do I have enough cigarettes on and on) Quit Now and Live!!! Go to The Intercessors.com and post a prayer request, so people can be praying for you 24/7. You will need God-s help. The very best to you.
Yeaaaaa,keep up the good work!
Come up with a list of things to do. Everything you feel like you need a cigarette, do something on the list. Also keep lots of gum and hard candy on hand so that you can pop something in your mouth when you want a cigarette. The first two weeks is the hardest, so try your best to get through it. Have a support partner you can call if the craving gets too bad, and talk through the craving. And if you accidently slip up once, don-t give up, just keep going. Don-t let one or two mistakes bring you all the way down again.
good for you ! it gonna be tough.

after everyday of not smoking, give yourself a reward like .................(i dont know) .............a cigarette !
You could switch to chewing tobacco.
chew on celery, and depending on how long you have been with him if he doesn-t care about his health then why should you? Leave him for like a week to send a message that smoking is not ok. Drink a lot of water, and keep yourself busy, swimming and hiking. As long as you are busy then you won-t crave a cigarette.
F***ing niiice! You rock. Seriously, I-ve heard its really hard to quit, so much respect :)
get prescription meds.
you have to really hate it , most of it is mind over matter , get some sugar free hard candies and pop one when you get the urge , find things to occupy your mind . I-ve been smoke free for a long time and it is hard but if you put your mind to it you can beat it , good luck
just say I DONT NEED TO FU,KING DO IT KUZ ITS GONNA KILL ME...u know it will.........so please.....dont smoke u can do it........U CAN.....thank you
Its tough but you can do it. Do not have even one. 2 months and you will think less and less about it
How bad do you want it? (Isn-t that the real question?)
I quit smoking about 20 years ago after smoking for about 12 years (1-1/2 packs per day)I tried everything, patches, gum, nicotine filters you name it and I still smoked, it finally happened when I realised that I had to really want to give up deep down or it wasnt gonna happen, end of story. so I just made up my mind and stopped period, cold turkey, no aids or anything. There is an old saying -when the going gets tough................you know the rest! Its time to decide whether you are gonna spend the rest of your life as a victorious winner or a cowering cringing wimp.Only you know the answer to that.
Today, I quit smoking. Any words of advice and encouragement? -