Whats a sure fire way to quit smoking..understand, I have to, dont want to.? -

Monday, January 15, 2007

Whats a sure fire way to quit smoking..understand, I have to, dont want to.? -


Joanna, I understand. I had to, I didn-t want to. Someone asked me the other day if I won the lottery would I go back to smoking? I said, Yes, because then I could afford the iron lung. Get rid of all smokes except a few and put them way up top in a cabinet. Write down all the reasons you have to quit. Write down your triggers. Where and when you liked to smoke the most, on the phone, after dinner - and plan for a substitute. I sucked on those little straws you get with your coffee? I had them by the phone. I got candy canes, they work really well. And I planned to be busy for a week. It is so very hard but if you have to, you have to. YOu have my thoughts of support heading your way.
3 simple steps

1 don-t buy fags

2 don-t put one in you mouth

3 DO NOT LIGHT IT
Start by making a face when you see them or think about them. Seriously. Make a face like you just smelt or looked at poo. Besides, people who smoke cigarettes smell awful. I used to smoke a pack of Marlboro Reds a day. Just start focusing on the negatives of smoking.

The most addicting element of smoking is the ritual of deep inhaling and exhaling. The cigarette does not truly calm down the user, it elevates the heartrate actually physically exciting the user. The user identifies -relaxing- with having a cigarette, and is actually doing a focused relaxation exercise when they take the time to smoke. Unfortunately it-s with carcinogenic smoke and not clean fresh air.

Kudos on quitting, even though you don-t want to.

Good luck
i know exactly how you feel, at least in part, because i-m supposed to quit drinking Pepsi and i flat out do not want to! it-s as simple as that. i have dental issues without the Pepsi, so i know the sugar sure isn-t helping me any... but i LOVE Pepsi! it-s SO good! i want one all the time! i want one right now, and it-s not even 9am! sheesh, i-m addicted! i even dream about drinking Pepsi, it-s really gotten out of hand! ; )

i-m not comparing drinking Pepsi to smoking cigarettes. cigarettes are obviously much worse for you. i know Pepsi will never kill me, at least not directly. i guess there-s always a chance i could get health issues based on all the sugar i get from drinking it, but Pepsi isn-t my only sugar intake, so something else could just as easily cause a sugar-related illness as the 12-24 oz. of Pepsi i drink a day. but i also know it-d make me and especially my teeth much healthier not to drink it.

i agree, you pretty much have to want to quit in order to succeed at it, i would think. i-ve never tried to quit smoking -cause i never started. my Mom-s been smoking for 30 years. she-s tried to quit a couple of times, but it never stuck. luckily, she only smokes outside. if you don-t already do so, only allow yourself to smoke outside. and if you live where it-s really cold, that might make you go out less. if you smoke a pack a day, try to only smoke 10-12 cigarettes for a few days and then try to get down from there. try simple things like that rather than just trying to go cold turkey. it would be better to just STOP, but if you really don-t want to, you-ll probably pick it back up again. at least if you cut down, that-ll show you that you CAN do it, know what i mean?

i definitely wish you luck in quitting! let us know when you do! : )

edit: wow i didn-t realized i typed that much... ; )
mark twain said: Its easy to quit smoking i have done it a 1000 times.

Control your will. Once quit - dont go back ever. Thats the key.

I had been smoking since the age of 12. I quit at the age of 25 and never went back ever since. Its been 3 years. I dont even get the urge anymore , nor was it difficult to quit.
I can tell you how i did it:

december 31st 23.50H last cigarette

january 1st no more cigarettes

10 years ago...
As with any addiction, their is no sure fire way.

I have heard the most successful way is the -patch- combined with Wellbutrin.

But, from what I know, personally, it mostly depends on your desire to quit outweighing your desire to smoke. Plain and simple but hard.
Obviously there is no sure fire way to quit smoking but if you think you can i am sure you can. Make up your mind and never look back again i am 100% sure you will succeed.
Were you told by your doctor you had to? Need more details buddy. But don-t know, never have smoked, but have tried a puff and just not a smoker user, just coughed from it. Hate it. I think it takes a huge amount of wanting to quit and telling yourself you want to quit, then your mind starts believing it. But your body craves the nicotine, just remember, your mind is 90% stronger than your body always. It takes discipline.
There is no sure fire way to quit smoking. There is no magic pill, patch, hypnosis, or any of that. Quitting smoking will be a full time job for the first month. I smoked for 35 years and one day I just decided to quit. I went on the patches for 10 weeks and struggled the whole time. it-s been 10 months and I won-t go back to smoking but the urge NEVER goes away.

Not being cruel, but until you make up your mind to quit, then you-re pretty much doomed before you start.
Alan carrs Book - how to give up smoking the easy way (I think that is the name of it)
Whatever its called it worked for my ex hubby. he was a serious seriously heavy smoker (up to 70 ciggies a day) and when he decided he was going to quit he read the book, which he WOULDNT previously, but once he made up his mind he was going to put the cigs down, he really did it. He has NEVER relapsed, much to his credit.
It-s f***ing hard...
I used to have a plastic cigarette that worked wonders for me. It got me through the serious cravings, after dinner, first thing in the morning, when I was in the car.
It-s all about breaking habits.
However, if you don-t want to give up, you-re going to have trouble... Yiou-ve got to want to give up to succeed.
i gave up, sold my old car bnought a new one and said I-d never smoke in it. With my trusty plastic cigarette I did fine.
Sadly, I lost it and am back on them again! And I can-t find another plastic cigarette...
Will power plus every thing else you can find .....Good luck - Shine on............!
Whats a sure fire way to quit smoking..understand, I have to, dont want to.? -