How hard is it to quit smoking? -

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

How hard is it to quit smoking? -


Just wondering. And if you DID successfully stop, how did you do it?
I smoked for about ten years and stopped cold-turkey one day many years ago. At the time of quitting I was up to two packs a day and I just got fed up of it and threw away the balance of cigarettes. I never have cravings even when around smokers and have not smoked for many years. I know it is almost impossible for some people to quit but that is how I did it.
quiting smoking is mostly in your mind. All of those stop smoking aids to help you quit do not work and are produced by the tobacco companies to gain extra money from people who are going to potentially start smoking again anyway. There are steps you need to take to actually quit.

1. You need to actually want to quit, if its not in your mind you will not accomplish anything
2. Take 5 cigarettes and smoke 2 the first day, 1 the second, 1 the third, save the last one as a reminder that you have the power not to smoke this cigarette. the reason for the 2nd step is to help you through the physical withdraw that goes along with smoking.
3. if the craving becomes overwhelming do not smoke that last cigarette either chew some gum or brush your teeth. most people when they have a craving just want that oral fixation so chewing gum and brushing your teeth help.
4 If you see someone smoking walk away, looking at them is just going to make you think that you need a cigarette, so walk away and throw a piece of gum in your mouth.

When you think of smoking just try to do something active to take you mind off of it.

follow these steps and in a few weeks you will start feeling better, breathing better, be more alert and you will wish you have never started smoking in the first place
I stopped smoking from one day to another. Im going to the gym and I really want to gain weight, if I continued smoking it would have taken me longer to gain weight, so I just stopped and I havent smoked for 2 months. Whenever I feel like smoking I just ask myself if I will get anything good from smoking a cigarrette, obviously the answer is that I will get nothing good so I just dont smoke it. Its not hard at all if you have a little control over yourself
It-s really hard, definitely. I quit after several years, cold turkey. I had really bad headaches for a while, but I-d have to say that the worst part about quitting is finding a new routine without cigarettes.
I quit in August, successfully, and I did it with DumDums... you know, the small lollipops you can get in huge bags at Walgreens and such? Suck on one whenever you get a craving or a headache. Low calorie, too, so you don-t have to worry about packing on a few extra pounds!
Also, someone to help support you is always great. I tell my friends who quit that they can always call me when they want a smoke and we-ll go out to a movie or something to take their mind off of it :)
Not too hard if you-re an occasional smoker. Don-t let your friends smoke next to you because that makes it harder. After a couple of weeks, the cravings go away except when you-re drinking. After about two months I no longer had any desire to smoke. Not only that, if you DO break down and have a cigarette, you wont feel good afterword.

You can also try smoking a longer cigarette because you may feel nausea when you finish it and then you won-t have any desire anymore for one. That-s what happened to me. Helped a lot.
It-s really freakin hard to quit smokin I been smoking for 6 years now and I got a really bad sickness cause of it but I still can-t stop it..

But I got a few solution for my self I dont know if it-ll work for you as well... The nicotine patches won-t work on me but it might work for you-ll...

Here it is...
I got a few inspiration of my own for I to quit.. Like my dad who was smoking all his life quit so I could quit with him cause his afraid of losing me cause of the sickness that I got... My girlfriend who I can-t aford to loose and of course my friend who I always with stop smoking for a new year resolution so I force my self to stop smoking...

Goodluck

Inspiration and self dicipline... At is all it take for me to quit
They say it-s as hard or harder than quitting other addictions ie. alcohol, heroine, etc... I quit twice cold turkey and started again years later both times. It was hard but not unobtainable through pure willpower. This time I quit over a year and half ago using the prescribed drug Chantix, for me it was easy especially in comparison to will power. I have no desire to smoke again, I have finally quit for life.
I have heard of people trying hypnotizism. My neighbor did it with a doctor or something and she hasnt even thought of smoking since, and it-s been more than 5 years. But if you dont do that, its going to be really hard because your body is addicted to niciteen.(sorry i dont know how to spell it...) When you take the niciteen (sorry again), your body is just going to want more. I would suggest getting hynatized or talk to your doctor about it.
It-s harder than anyone could imagine. For example, take any usual habit YOU have, per say. Like nail biting, or any compulsive behavior. It gets to you as an addiction, and it-s nearly impossible to stop. Sorry for the hyperbole, but that-s almost it. If you are thinking of getting into smoking, and that-s why you asked this question, I suggest you don-t. If you have any questions, email me.
well im not a smoker but my husband hasnt smoked for 4 days but i dont know how itll go from there he usually keeps smoking after that and gives in but he got a scare and thats why he wants to quit he had been short of breathe lately and his back side was hurting him alot and i guess that gave him a little wake up call to try and quit smoking its five days today but hes trying very hard to stop
Very hard.
I had bronchitis and the flu for 12 days in 2004, and I physically couldn-t smoke.

After I was better, it was a pure mind game. I convinced myself that if I could quit for 12 days, then I could quit for that day.
After about 3 months, I no longer had any urges.

An important part of quitting is making sure you do not surround yourself with other people that smoke.
simple, i just stopped one day and really it is not that freakin hard to quit. i have been smoking for what 7or 8 years and it is really simple to do so.
find a goal or a reason to quit, i use my girlfriend as a reason to quit. i mean even though she has no problem with me smoking but still i don-t want the guilt on my mind every time a take a drag.
ohw lord i tried to quit so many times. The first time i did it was when i got pregnant with my son. And then after giving birth and another 2 months later my sister came and visit and i started again just because she smoked so much and it smelled so good (i quit for 10 months) now i am pregnant again and i quit again, apparently that is the only reason for me i can quit because i am not just doing it for me.

If you do start you need to get past the first 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system after that its just trying to break a habbit
Not as hard as you think! Honest!

I gave up twice - first time I read a motivational book -Alan Carr-s easy way to give up smoking- He promised that the withdrawal would be no more than the symptoms of a cold - he was right - and it wasn-t difficult. (BTW - other people I know who have read the book, or watched the video gave up easily, too).

Gave up for about 8 months and I then made the stupid mistake of envying friends who were social smokers and could just have one or two cigarettes, every now and again.

Big mistake - I was immediately hooked again for another 6 years or so. (I-ve heard it said that nicotine is more addictive than heroin).

Second time I had seen the effects of nicotine on a rabbit, in an old black and white USA Navy film, on TV, and realised that I had to give up for my health. This time it was with the help of nicotine chewing gum and willpower.

I got there - and have been smoke-free for over 8 years. It-s so good not to have to worry if I have enough cigarettes to last me until I can get to the store - or needing to get out of meetings, theatre, etc., to have a cigarette - they ruled my life - now I have control.

Good Luck - it-s honestly worth the effort.
I thought to myself. If the Dr told me today that if i smoke another cigarette i would die, would i smoke one. Of course not. So just think every morning when you wake up, if i smoke another one, i will die. Then you will quit. I smoked for 12 years by the way, and quit overnight.

I also have a father that smoked his entire life and has lung disease, so that is something else that made me quit. Just Do it, think of the money you will save, and what better health you will be in.

If you had a brand new car you would look after it, put all the correct fluids in, get oil changes. How much more your own body.
i have never smoked in my life
but

how to stop
think about who you are doing it for

yourself
you want to live
you dont want to die of cancer
think about all the disgusting items they put in it
(if your not married or if you are think about how it can cause ur family problems)

My teachers husband smoked she never smoked but she was the one who died becauuse of passive smoking
HARDER than you think. i used to smoke, but i managed to quit. it was way harder than i thought. especially if you-re a drinker and you happen to smoke when you drink. if you are, nicotine is actually a stimulant (like coffee, cocaine, and other stuff...of course not that hardcore though) and you-ll find yourself way more buzzed or drunk quicker. the only way to quit smoking properly is cold turkey. you got to want to quit. you know what i mean?
Mark Twain Standard answer... -It-s easy to quit smoking. I-ve done it hundreds of times-.

I quit for four years and I started again... Go figure

Will do it again... The way?

1. Zyban
2. Patches
3. No tobacco products
4. No drinking (beer = increased cravings and diminished will power)
5. Attitude = 1 cigarette WILL hurt me

That-s how I did it, and I didn-t worry about weight gain, I just went for walks.
Depends, are you really going to stop or are you just going to whine you want to stop, stop for a day or two, and then go right back to your bad habits. It-s like any habit, you can break it if you have will power. Yes, there is an addictive nature to cigarettes as we all know. yes, it will suck quitting. But what is worse...being a little sick as you go through withdrawals...or getting emphysema?
it depends on the person really?
ive never smoked before but i do know that..my uncle starteds out smoking 3 packs a day for 10 yrs and just one day quit cold turkey. But my dad has been smoking 1/2 pack a day for most of his life and he finds it hard to even go a day without one.
Not hard, my Mom had to quit and she just ate peanuts whenever she felt like smoking a cigarrette. It only took her one month to quit. Try that, you don-t need to eat peanuts if you don-t want to. Try your own method whenever you feel like smoking a cigarrette.
The secret: use a combination of patch, gum and lozenge. One or the other won-t work. Mix them all, and it gives you enough nic. to do it. Also, find something for you hands to do when you-re not smoking. Like drink a lot of diet soda or something so you always have your hands busy.
well im 22 and i started smoking when i was 17 and i only seemed to smoke like a pack a week and then i just stoped..like i didnt feel like i was addicted at all, i only did itfor social purposees nand now i cant stand the smell of ciggaretes!!
Well I don-t smoke, but I heard it-s REALLY hard, and some people die, because they need cigarettes in their lives so yeah either way it-s really hard and imagine people who like been smoking for YEARS.

Yeah , it-s hard.
I have successfully stopped smoking with ease

I know some excellent web sites that

address this question try:

http://ItsSmoking.com

http://auctions.overstock.com/item/44449922

http://www.myinlife.com/1
Not so hard, just but your mouth in ice cold water for 45 minutes and then drink allot of water every day. Eat allot of brownies, carrots, and spinach and your be a non smoker in 2 weeks!
Im quitting as we speak. Im sucking on a nicotine lozenge. I know there is a cigarette over there on my counter, I want to smoke it. God help me, but im just gonna suck the $@-^|* out of this lozenge instead.
the hardest thing I-ve ever tried. I used the patch once and quit for 5 months, and here i am trying it again. I don-t know that i will ever be successful but, im going to continue to try.
statistics say 40 days w/out smoking should trigger the brain cells to forget that you ever smoked
p.s make sure you wear a nictonine patch if you have an urge to smoke

your welcome :)
Very, very hard. It is almost impossible.
and I would suggest if you are thinking about it dont man.
it may be -cool- now, but later on it will be horrible.
Its taken me 2yrs of saying that im going to quit, I had my last one this time yesterday, im now a non smoker. Email me in a weeks time to see if ive stayed off the weed!
How hard is it to quit smoking? -