Help! I quit smoking and have been gaining .5 to 1 lb a day. How do I lose it? -

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Help! I quit smoking and have been gaining .5 to 1 lb a day. How do I lose it? -


I-m a woman, so my weight fluctuates throughout the month. Recently, I have been gaining a half pound to a pound almost every other day. I weighed 142 two months ago and now I weigh 152. I have been quit for about 49 days, but this is really depressing me. I-m starting to feel like starving myself, because I just don-t know how to get rid of this weight. I workout 2- 4 days a week and my weight has been pretty stable the past few years. But now I am starting to feel panicky and confused - I lost weight 4 years ago and I just don-t want to be fat again.
Go for a Run, Walk or Bike Ride.

Breathe deep and enjoy the rush.
It sounds like you are replacing cigarettes for more food. When you feel the urge to smoke grab a fruit or go jogging.
You should go and see a doctor.
Are you substituting food for the cigarettes? Often that-s what happens when someone quit smoking is they start eating more. And it-s often just because they need something to do with their hands. If you are eating more, try eating pieces of fruit or vegetables rather than chips or candy.

The easiest answer though is to either reduce your caloric intake or exercise more.
well first that is great that its been that long keep it up..... i would try having alot of health things around so if you feel like eating anything. good luck and keep it up...
Thank god, someone else in my position. I just said the other day I would rather start smoking again and lose all the weight I put on and keep it off. I don-t want to live life fat and depressed. I am working out same as you but I can-t see a difference, uhhhhh, I guess we just have to keep at it. I am going to try the 5 meals a day, apparently it is the way to go, you should try that, good luck. Seriously, congrats on quitting.
The whole smoking /weight thing is normal, key is to increase physical activity, don-t worry too much about diet other than healthy and moderation so forth, low fat, low salt etc. That said, you need to move more than you take in, and continue to do so.

Exercising for say... 1 hour 2 days a week will not boost metabolism. however working out 20-30 minutes a day 4-5 times a week will raise metabolism. this weight did not appear overnight, nor will it leave and stay gone over night.

I know this sucks, i was slowed down by an injury, and i saw my own weight go up. again not overnight but still. so what I-m doing to achieve my goal is same as i had said i try to be as active as I can, and watch what i eat,

ALSO don-t beat yourself up cause you had a double cheeseburger and fries, just move more. That means if i want this candy bar that = 20 minutes on the bike, pedal too, don-t just sit like some of us ;-)
chew gum.. when ever you feel like eating.. cuz your not that hungry you just an urge for a the cig..
Just so you know, it isnt that you get hungier after quitting smoking, it-s the HAND TO MOUTH CONTACT that you-re missing sooo.....
chew on a straw, toothpick, drink water, sugar free looly pops. etc. Good luck and way to go on the Quitting!!!!
Hello =)

Perhaps you should rethink the -quitting smoking- thing.......

I am a fat man who smokes.... Doctor is afraid to suggest I quit smoking, for fear I will gain more weight, which might kill me.....

Pathetic, but true....

Namaste,

--Tom
when most people quit smoking they have an involuntary need to keep things in there mouth. try chewing gum,, so you don-t have that propblem. if that doesnt help you might want to try to pat attention to what you-re eating, and how often you-re eating. and also...you shouldn-t judge yourself by the numbers on the scale!
don-t even think about starving yourself becuz im sure there are people that care about you out there !!!
best of luck to you with your problem, and props on quitting!
diet eat all ur mels as salads sandwichs or soup but brekfast should be either a healthy cereal (like special K) slimfast or carnation instant breafast for your vitamans and eat fruits and vegies.
ps keep up the excercise
stop filling your face.
Help! I quit smoking and have been gaining .5 to 1 lb a day. How do I lose it? -