How do I quit smoking? -

Sunday, November 6, 2011

How do I quit smoking? -


Stop buying cigarettes.

Stop opening packs of cigarettes.

Stop lighting cigarettes while they are hanging form you lips.

Just DON-T DO IT!

Seems pretty simple to me.
Go to your doctor and tell him you want to quit smoking and ask him about Wellbutrin. I am taking it and I feel absolutely fine without a cig, but if your around it then it kind of makes you want. Don-t have one though, the craving will pass. You really do feel fine while your on it .
I-m celebrating 2 yrs smoke-free tomorrow. I got hypnotized in a group session, this guy advertises in the local paper and holds sessions at area hotels. It was the best $40 I ever spent! I never smoked again after I walked out that night and I-ve been thankful ever since. Many ppl told me it wouldn-t work, but I went w/ a positive attitude - I know that helped. I also didn-t tell ppl I was going to the session until after the fact. I just didn-t want to hear their negative comments.
Cold turkey. Throw away the cigs you have left, now.

Put the money you would have spent on cigarettes in a jar. When the jar is full, use that money to do something nice for yourself.

Exercise: It will keep your mind off the tobacco.

Also take up another hobby to keep your mind busy.

And keep a packet of chewing gum for when you MUST put something in your mouth.

Get your friends to help you: You may experience withdrawal symptoms and need support to get past them.

And start cleaning everything that smells like smoke. You may find that you like things to smell fresh and clean, once your body is finished getting the toxins out.

Good luck!
My mom has this same problem. What you-re gonna wanna do is get some nicotine patches, or some gum, or both. Whenever you feel like you need a cigarrette, chew on a piece of gum (she said it really helps) or some other kind of candy. If you don-t think you can quit on your own, there are support groups that-ll help you through it - Just check on google for it.

Good Luck.
You have to make the decision and work up will power. I will tell you how I did it and I have been a non smoker for 12 years plus. I quit January 11, 1995. Ok so here goes: I made the decision to quit smoking and for two years I messed around with the patch. When I finally made that final decision on January 11, I put a patch on in the morning, I took it off that night and by the time I got up the next day I had over 24 hours of smoke free under my belt. I didn-t put on another patch, I talked to myself and said if you can go 24+ hours without a cigarette, you can go for the rest of your life. I kept my hands busy by knitting, crocheting, doing crosswords etc, and used the deep breathing method, inhaled slowly through my nose and exhaled slowly through my mouth. I did this several times when the craving hit me and believe it or not it went away. I sucked on hard candies and chewed gum. Always remember you are a smoke away from a pack a day, don-t even think you can say oh a puff or one smoke won-t do any harm, WRONG!!! It does and breaks down your resolve. Now when my granddaughter comes to visit I can smell smoke on her body, clothes and hair and she does not smoke my daughter does though. I take full responsibility that my children are both smokers as both my ex husband and I smoked around our children. They are 35 and 33 now. We didn-t know the damage back then it can cause. I found out I was going to be a grandmother just before I quit and that was another good reason for me to quit. Your clothes will not smell like smoke, you will not taste like an ashtray when you are kissed, your food will taste better and you will live longer, your lungs will forgive you if it is not too late. You will have more money in your pocket. What is the cost now for a package of cigarettes? You might as well take that money and set it on fire. It is the same thing and it is a good way to stick it to the government when you quit because most of the cost is taxes. I was a two pack a day smoker and if I can do it you can do it. Good luck, God bless and put angels on your pillows. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
I don-t think there is one clear answer to this - it would really depend on you, your addiction and lifestyle.

I tried diminishing my consumption and weaning off cigarettes a couple times and that never worked for me. What did work was to quit cold turkey. I ended up going to the gym a lot as well- and it-s true you will feel the difference with each passing day...and in the end you don-t really feel like messing your body up with nicotine, tar etc either. Plus - imagine all the money you-ll save ;)

...and good luck :)
How do I quit smoking? -