Quit smoking after 18 or more years? -

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Quit smoking after 18 or more years? -


Has anyone one smoked a long long time and quit with out drugs? I cant afford the 245 times two it costs for the co-pay for chantrix.... tips? i have tried before, i get angry and cry and give in... I have depression in my family but have only ever feel wired when trying to quit smoking. started smoking at 13 and am not 31.... Any tips would be great tried today... i smoked two cig though gona try again in the morning...
That-s all you can do sister... think of the lines that are going to form around your mouth and the premature wrinkling in your face from smoking that starts to show in your thirties...
Just keep trying... cutting back little by little is the best way!
I have personally had great success with both the patch and with Welbutrin, but you of course want drug free ways. I would first make the conscious decision you want to quit, quit for you and no one else, and be firm in your decision. Avoid being around others who smoke for awhile until you lose your urge, get support and help from loved ones for encouragement and ways to keep you busy and distracted, chew sugar free gum *works well for me*, hold a pencil or something in your hand when you get the urge. Drink water or exercise when you feel the urge to smoke as well, replace a bad habit with a good one! Just know you can do it and if you fall of the wagon, don-t beat yourself up, just try again! Good luck, I-ll be rooting for ya-!
Well I found something that worked well for me, I had a hard time quitting cold turkey, and the patch didn-t work for me either I still smoked with it on. So my friends mom told me about this new thing, I swear by it.

You use it just like a cigarette only it contains no tobacco and no cancer causing agents whatsoever, it-s basically a nicotine water vapor you inhale and it looks, feels and tastes just like smoke. You can use it anywhere! It worked for me because it wasn-t just the nicotine addiction it was the act and feeling of smoking that was hard to do without, with this I still have that.

The best part for me is that it actually is costing me less per month than cigarettes were. And I am adding years back to my life!
My son quit smoking after several years of 2 to 4 packs per day. He did not use any fad cures or medications which just cost you money and always fail to have lasting results. He visited my step-father in the hospital before he died from lung cancer that resulted from a lifetime of smoking. My step-father told him that he had out lived all of his brothers and sisters and now he was going to die from something that he could have prevented. If you really want to quit go visit a few nursing homes for the holidays and count up how many are their from smoking. Then calculate how long it will be before you are in that same situation. Good luck and remember that only will power and a firm desire to quit works. Stay away from other that smoke until you have kicked the habit and put the cigarettes that you have left in the trash and pour something nasty on them so you won-t take a notion to dig them out and smoke them.

Merry Christmas and what a nice gift to give yourself.
I began smoking at the age of 15 and finally quit for good at the age of 57 (a year ago), when I was at a pack a day. Even tho- all the experts say you have to go cold turkey, I think that just increases the craving. This is how I did it. Every time I wanted a cigarette, I only smoked half of it. So, I immediately cut my intake in half. After a few weeks of doing that (gives your body time to adjust to less nicotine), I would only take about 4 puffs, put it out and save it for the next craving. After a few weeks of that, I went to 2 puffs, then one puff (where one cigarette could last me a day or two). My body gradually got used to doing without the nicotine and I got to a point where I said, -when this pack is done, I-m not buying anymore-. That was a year ago. Recently, I stayed with my son, who smokes, and took a drag off his cigarette. I didn-t like the taste and it hurt my throat. If I can do it, you can do it, because I loved smoking!!!
After 17 years of smoking I quit. I was in a similar predicament, could not afford Chantix or Nicorrett. I changed depression medications, and just stopped smoking. No drugs at all, but I was determined to quit, and ready to quit. You will have withdraw from nicotine, it is an addictive drug. Get involved in a support group too, you would be surprised at the amount of support they can give you, and coping actions. good luck.
You can-t quit cold turkey. You need to start weening yourself away from the cigarettes. My suggestion is limit yourself to Smoker-s Choice Little Cigars. Those things will get anyone to quit smoking. Taste like cardboard and ashes. Cost usually between $1 to $2 a pack. Most liquor stores or smoke shops carry them. Not only that, but keep some chewing gum handy for when you get a craving. Chew your favorite flavor instead of having that cigarette. Lastly, steel your will. It takes a crapload of willpower to quit smoking for most people. (BTW, your body is physically over the nicotine in 72 hours, no matter how long you-ve smoked. physically, you no longer feel the want. After that, it-s a mental game).
If you truly want to quit smoking you will just do it. Wake up one day and don-t smoke any cigarettes. Everyday that you don-t smoke a cigarette your desire to smoke will be weaker. You have to do things to keep you occupied so you won-t even think about smoking. I was a smoker and I too started at a young age. I-m 29 now and I quit by working out and staying away from people that smoke. You have to do what works for you.
Heavy smokers that what I was. Forty to fifty smokes a day. Now I am smoke free for nearly twenty years.
My way was a bit costly. I used to cut my cigarettes into half and
than a bit more shorter.Within a month I was having just a puff or two.By the second month I was tobacco free.
Get a book called the easyway to quit smoking, by Allen Carr. it will help. At worst you-ll invest and lose the price of the book. Good luck getting into the correct frame of mind.
what i did was cut down by one each week and after 2 months i didnt have an addiction
Quit smoking after 18 or more years? -