What should i ask for to quit smoking? -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What should i ask for to quit smoking? -


i am determined to quit smocking but know i cannot do it cold turkey what is the best drug to help me
Chantix by far worked best for me.. I laid my cigs down in less than 2 weeks and I had never done that before and I have tried pretty much everything else.. the one draw back to it is a lot of ins companies will not pay for it and it is around $120 i think for 1 month..
Wellbutrin. Its an anti depressant. It helps because almost all addictions are tied to depression. It will also help calm the anxiety associated with quitting.

I have been smoke free for a year. These are my suggestions

-Keep a smoking journal. You dont have to be activly trying to quit to do this, in fact I would suggest starting the journal before you activly try to quit. Write down the following things about everytime you smoke:
Time
How many did you smoke
Why did you smoke
What were you doing before
How did you feel before
What are you going to do after
How did you feel after
At the end of the day, write down a sentence or two about whatever you want. Did you notice any patterns? Did you notice any times when you want to smoke that you didnt? (write those down to in your journal, along with the time, and why you didnt smoke, what you were doing)

-Realize what youa re fighting here. Nicotine is completly out of your system in 72 hours and the chemical addiction is gone after 2-3 weeks. It is not the chemical nicotine addiction that most people have problems with. It is the emotional addiction and mindless habbit of smoking. Actually getting the cig out of the pack, lighting it, taking a hit, sucking in and exhaling, and the way it makes you feel. For me, I always smoked in the car. It was automatic, never thought about it, I just got in the car and lit a cig. To this day I miss smoking in the car. When you know what you are fighting, it makes it easier.

-Dont give up just because you had a cig. I tried to quit lots of times, and would give up when I failed. But, would you quit using your lights because you forgot to turn it out one day? Would you quit cooking because you accidently burnt tonight-s dinner? Would you quit flushing the toilet because you forgot to flush? Would you quit driving because you got a ticket? Would you quit using the comp because you had a typo? Then why on earth would you give up on quitting smoking just because you had a cig when you werent supposed to?

-Join a support group. Very helpful psychologically to know someone else is going through what you are.

- Make your house and car smoke free zones. Even if you keep smoking, always smoke outside, even if its 100 degrees or below zero. It will help the resale value of both, but will also help you cut back. If you cant sit and smoke while watching tv, you wont smoke that half pack during the suspense movie.

-Dont hang out with the smokers at work. This is the pitfall for so many people. You and the group of other smokers go out for breaks together and talk about work or gossip or whatever. you cant do that. Yeah, itll such to not gossip with them, but work is for work, not gossip anyways.


You really should talk to your doctor. You may react badly to some of the medications out there. If you-re cleared for taking any of the medications available, you should think about why you smoke. If it-s just an oral fixation, the gum might help you, or herbal cigarettes. Or if you-re sure that you-re going to have a hard time, something stronger, like the patch may help.

You should also talk to your doctor about the SIDE effects of quitting. I recently quit, and my heart was beating strangely and I had insomnia for four days. It drove me crazy. I didn-t check with a doctor when I quit, so when I did and I had those reactions, I had panic attacks because I thought I was having heart attacks or something. Reactions differ for men and for women, so you should ask your doctor what you should expect (or even look online). I quit cold turkey, and it-s freakin- tempting to go back, but after 21 days (which is what they say is how long it takes to break a habit), you-re going to feel a lot better. You-ll breathe better, feel better. Whichever method you choose, stick with it. It-s worth it! (And think of all the money you-ll save!)
Talk to your doctor and call 1-800-no-butts (a great resource to help smokers quit).

Also, check out this information about cancer prevention--you really should stop smoking as soon as possible. It-s really bad for your health.

Hope that helps and best of luck. Tobacco addiction is one of the most difficult addictions to overcome but you can do it! :) Seek medical help though.
i used to smoke 2 packs a day. I couldn-t even go shopping for 10 min without needing to have cig. I had tried to quit several times, only to fail. I finally decided out of the blue one day, that that was it..i didn-t plan it. I put 2 full packs on the top of fridge so i knew they were there. You never want a drink of water til the well runs dry! I went out and bought small bottles of water for the hand to mouth thing and got busy. I lost 20 lbs from the water and staying busy, and lost the want for cigerettes when I got a new sense of smell and could finally run a mile without wanting to pass out. Before I knew it, I was running 10 miles a day. I never turned back, and did it all on my own with no patches or meds, just the want to. It is all in your head. It wasn-t hard as long as I kept busy and had my bottle of water at ALL times. Good Luck to you. You can do it, just don-t plan it.
chantix is the namew of the newest med.
What should i ask for to quit smoking? -