Anyone have tips to quit smoking? -

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Anyone have tips to quit smoking? -


i tried cold turkey and i get headaches from it. i have horrible acid reflux and have been trying to quit for about 2 months. any tips?
Yeah, the best advice is that you really have to -WANT TO GIVE UP-.

If you stick to your guns, there will be no noticeable side effects after about three days.

Good Luck.
The headaches are from nicotine withdrawal so you can substitute patches (mild ones.)

The acid reflux is flesh eating digestive enzymes and the burning feeling is actually the acid burning the esophagus.

The esophageal tissue is different then that which is in the stomach.

The acid eventually leaves enough scar tissue in the esophagus that it actually narrows the opening and makes swallowing difficult (schatski-s ring) and may require surgery.

Try laying on your right side at night so the acid can drain into the small bowel. Peanut butter sticks to the roof of the mouth and, in a pinch, swallow some (if you are not allegic to peanuts) and let it slide down the esophagus. Don-t drink anything for a while because you want the peanut butter to coat the esophagus for instant relief.

Or ask your druggest which product he recommends for heart burn.

Use the -X- technique to rid yourself of smoking. Visualize a cigarette and mentally superimpose a big X over the cigarette. Visualize a pack of cigarettes and use the X on it. Visualize a lighter and use the X technique. Do that every time you think about having a cigarette. When you see someone else with a cigarette, use the X technique.

The X is extremely effective is dismissing people and objects from your mind.

Repeat these to yourself constantly

I am happy and content
I like myself
I feel relaxed and peaceful
I am a nonsmoker
No is my favorite word
No works for me
I appreciate the No word.
I say NO to cigarettes
My sense of taste is better
I have a better sense of smell
I feel better
I am likable
I am in the NOW moment
My power if in the NOW moment
I reject cigarettes NOW

Use the thoughts that you feel will be most needed each day. Create you own thoughts, keep them short, in the present tense and avoid the word, -NOT-

It takes 21 days to form a new habit. Start now.

Good luck.

remember to vote
1 Think of reasons you want to quit smoking. For me they were the fact they are $6.50 a pack and I was pushing a pack a day. You can use mine or use your own.

#2 Set a day way but not like tommorrow or a couple of days. For me it was a week so I could reflect and prepare for it. Unexpected cold turkey is not a good idea so, don-t believe those anti-smoking people who never touched a cigarette a day in thier lives.

#3 Just remember, -Mind Over Matter-. The first days will be hard but, you-ll build a better resistance as times go on. You-ll be groggy at first but get your mind off of it and keep on keeping on! You-ll be in situations like socail enviorments where you used to. Refrain for awhile until you build up resistance.
It is said that giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world because you can always start again. I gave up smoking years back for one reason only. I got scared of the consequences of smoking ie loss of stamina - fear of lung cancer. I used to climb 4 floors by staircase in office avoiding lift. Over a time, I found myself becoming breathless. I gave up smoking for 4-5 days - I found that I could run up the stairs. Also, I found food was tasting better, I was eating more - I was feeling full of energy. I gave up smoking for good - have never touched it again. Just give up - stop worrying about side effects for a short time.
I recently quit smoking. I had been smoking for 18 years. I decided that was that I had to quit. I quit... cold turkey. I know you say you can-t but really that is the best way. I have read research that said 90% of long term ex smokers quit cold turkey. It is the most painful, physically, mentally, and emotionally, but it does produce the best long term results! I was SO addicted. I didn-t think I was going to make it. The physical was so hard for me. I didn-t realize you could withdraw that way from cigarettes! After 4 days the pain wore off and it was then up to your strong will to fight. I can say however, day 3 and 4 was the hardest ever! Then it got better. I would try again, you just have to make up your mind and do it!
Limit yourself, say you-ll only smoke once a day at a specific time, like say for after dinner, then change that to smoking only once every other day, and so on and so forth.

You could try the gum or patches, but I do not know if any of them work.

Good luck.
Anyone have tips to quit smoking? -