How can I help my dad quit smoking for ever? -

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

How can I help my dad quit smoking for ever? -


He is getting to the point where he smokes on pack per day. There are 20 cigarettes inn the pack.. Please help!! It-s affecting his health!!
You tell him that he-ll die if he doesn-t quit.
He may blow that off like my parents.
Then you say -If it doesn-t kill you, it-s gonna kill me!-
Because of second hand smoke.
Then you lay all sorts of guilt on him at random times.
Like if he-s coughing you pass by and say -That wouldn-t happen if you quit.-
Or if he-s sick and has to cancel on some big game or something you tell him: -People who smoke get sick a lot more then people who don-t.-
Also mention about it wastes tons and tona of money, that could buy him something awesome or help with college tution or something important.
Also, you have to remember that tobacco is THE MOST hardest addictive substance to quit.
So be patient and suggest using a pill or patch or gum or something.
Anyways, good luck!
I want to encourage you that you can do it. It will be one of the toughest things you have ever done. You first have to have the positive outlook and the determination to want to quit.
Second thing is getting all the right information on what is going to happen to your body and your mind once you give up smoking. Your brain will have cravings which will send down the nerve ending to tell your body that you have just got to have another cigarette. Well fight that urge. Those urges and craving will continue for 7 to 90 days and in some smokers it may last up to 6 months. Take you mind elsewhere. Chew on some gum. Get the cigarette gum or patch for slow nicotine to flow into the bloodstream. At least you are not taking that smoke into your lungs.
Third thing is you will have to exercise daily. This is a requirement to not only help you take your mind of of smoking, but you will want to put something into your mouth and eat. It is true you will put on a little weight at first because you not only have to learn not to smoke, but to beat that habit of having something in your hand. You will want to go to the refrigerator and munch. Resist that as much as smoking. It is an addiction and it is very hard to stop. But I encourage you to do it for yourselves and your children and grandchildren. They generally model behavior of those they love. I know that you love your children and your family, but learned behavior , like drinking, cussing, lying, and the list goes on and on, is another reason to quit.
Well first question is does he want to quit? If he doesn-t then it will be harder for him too quit. It took me 32 years before I quit and now I am on oxygen and in the end stage of the disease and I am only 53.
I hope you can help him. If he fails he can try again and again till it works.Just give him lots of support. As a reform smoker I know you need so much support to stick to it.
I hope this will help you. You can email me for more questions or to talk.

Good Luck
Gail G.
Well i think only way you can help him is to tell him how much it worries you. He has to decide to stop can′t make him, so you need to try to give him a good reason to stop. Don′t tell him what he already knows like smoking is bad for you, he knows that i think. And if he wants to stop you could find some great web page online that you can look at together. I think support is very good, i used to smoke so im just telling you what i experience. Don′t attack him, support him, he is not a criminal more like sick. sorry about my english Good luck.
My father use to smoke 3 packs a day. Now 50 years later, he is down to a pack a day, and he-s never had a smoking related illness.
My grandparents are 87 and 83 and have been smoking for over 60 years, with no signs of quitting. They are healthier than most non smokers in their 50-s.
Stop listening to lab rats. They only make people paranoid.
take him to hospital and show him all cancer patients and on oxygen and let him talk to them all. My aunt and friend passed of cancer. Life is not worth the lame *** ciggerette. Tell him he can show you how strong he is and to get a hobbie to REPLACE THE OLD HABBIT.
Well, you can-t force someone to quit. They have to want to and even if they want to, many can-t find it within themselves to quit.
But there are mediciations, chewing gum and the patch to help if he wants to.
Maybe nicotine patches
How can I help my dad quit smoking for ever? -