Is it really true that you gain weight if you quit smoking? -

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Is it really true that you gain weight if you quit smoking? -


I-ve been smoking for the past 5-6 years, I hate it and it-s disgusting. I want to quit. I-ve heard that if you quit smoking you gain a ton of weight, is this true or just one of those myths? If you do gain weight than why? From eating more to fight the cravings or is it some chemical in your body? I-ve heard both of those.
I-ve quit smoking twice after smoking for about a year, second time was a relapse. After I quit, I made sure I didn-t binge on unneeded junk foods or snacks and started running and lifting weights. Just maintain a healthy diet and exercise and you won-t gain weight. The weight gain is caused because nicotine suppresses your hunger, causing you to eat less and possibly lose weight. Without the nicotine, you-re just hungrier more because there-s nothing suppressing that extra hunger. Good luck!
Smoking increases metabolism, which will suppress weight. Smoking is also an appetite suppressant. If someone happens to stop smoking, their metabolism will slow down, which is likely to cause weight gain. One theory suggests that people who smoke have an -oral fixation-, and are therefore eating more to satiate the need to have something in the mouth.

Definitely look into nicotine substitutes or a -weaning- plan- many people are successful through the patch, gum, and other smoking alternatives.

Good luck!
Hey Lilly,

I-ve tried just about every method there is out there and there is only one I can recommend - NLP! It eliminates the cravings.
Gum patches and all the other just did not cut it for me, not to mention cold turkey which was the hardest, I even tried the electric cig and it is just no match to the real thing.
Eventually a friend told me about a NLP method, check out this article:
http://www.squidoo.com/Not_Smoking_Any_M…

it’s the one that got me off the cigs and smoke free for GOOD even without gaining weight! :)

Good luck kicking the habit!
J.
Cigarettes suppress your appetite, so you-ll be hungrier. Plus some people eat more to try to forget about wanting to smoke. Chewing gum is something people do to deal with that. Fear of gaining weight isn-t a reason to keep smoking. Smoking is worse for your health than the ten pounds or less you might gain quitting. Maybe exercise would help you forget your temptations. Plus you-ll see how nice it is being able to breathe when you exercise! Honestly, best of luck. Quitting smoking is so hard, but between price and everything else, it-s so worth it.
I smoked for about the same time and quit about 2 months ago and i gained 5 lbs. Its not bad, I just crave other things now like food instead of ciggarettes. I don-t think its a chemical but who knows? Either way gaining 5lbs is a whole lot better than lung, mouth or throat cancer. Plus it makes your skin age.
you don-t necessarily GAIN weight from quitting smoking, you just tend to lose some weight when you do smoke, so quitting will get you back to your normal metabolism. but that shouldnt keep you from quitting.
Is it really true that you gain weight if you quit smoking? -