Anyone out there tried to quit smoking? -

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Anyone out there tried to quit smoking? -


i have been smoking for sixteen years. quitting never even crossed my mind. ive been clean from drugs and alcohol for almost 3years,
and smoking seemed to be the only thing to keep me sane. a couple of weeks ago, i got bronchitis, and now i cant even think about smoking without choking, but my body is still totally addicted. not being able to breathe is the worst feeling i have ever had. i have gone almost a week now without even a drag. i am ready to quit, but the thought of quitting is like the thought of losing a very important part of my life. does anyone have any advice, and does anyone understand how i feel
Keep yourself busy so you don-t have time to think about smoking. If you-ve gone a week already than you should be over the physical withdrawal and now it becomes a mind game. Lifesavers or hard candies are good to keep around when you feel like a smoke. Good Luck.
I gave up a 5 pack a day habit after smoking 55 + years so I know it can be done

#1 step to get it in your mind that you need to quit for whatever reason

I got some anti-anxiety meds (only about $10) , that worked for me
Yes, I understand how you feel. I-ve quit before and started back. Big mistake. You-re definitely addicted to the nicotine, plus it-s a habit. When you-re bored or depressed, you want to smoke. I saw on the news about a month ago that cigarettes now have 16% more nicotine than they did five years ago. I guess that even though they help support the adds to help you quit, they really don-t want you to. That would definitely hurt their business. I think that cold turkey is the best way to quit and it sounds like you have a head start. If you need extra help, they do have prescription medication that my friends say work very well. It-s just a little on the expensive side.
I quit a 20+ year smoking habit in 1998. Don-t ever give up. When tempted, remind yourself that you don-t smoke anymore. It may take several tries but eventually it will take.
I smoked for 30 years. I quit in December 2001 but I wish I had quit sooner. I now suffer from COPD and Broncotasis( scar tissues on the lungs) and asthma. I take 3 different medicines for my lungs. I am getting better but it is a slow process. Please stop smoking now before more damage is done. I did it with the patch, determination and a lot of prayer. Just take a walk when you want a cigarette. If too cold, getting up and moving around helps the urge to smoke pass. Do not worry about weight gain from the not smoking . The extra weight is not as nearly as unhealthy as the cigarettes and you can take the weight back off after you have kicked the nicotine addiction. I gained 20 lbs but I was 10 lbs underweight anyway so didn-t hurt that bad and I will lose the 5 lbs I want to take off. Good Luck and You can do it!
ok try this......take a deep breath, as deep as you can, hold it for five seconds then try and take another breath on top of that one and another.does it hurt? that is what everysingle breath feels like for someone with emphysema. do that everytime you want a ciggarett and decide if you want to feel that for the rest of your life
CONGRATULATIONS! You are taking the first step to becoming smoke free! Deciding that you want to quit is the hardest part! I am a respiratory therapist. I know that quitting can be one of the hardest things ever to try however there are a lot of resources. The best right now is a nationwide hotline that taylors a program to your needs. The number is 1-800-QUITNOW. They talk with you and set up a plan just for you. There are also smoking cessation programs put on by your local health departments. KEEP IT UP and GOOD LUCK!
CUT BACK ON THE NUMBER OF CIGARETTES THAT YOU SMOKE , UNTIL YOUR DOWN TO ONE CIGARETTE , THAT-S WEANING YOU OFF OF THE NICOTINE!
i know how you feel i used to be a 2-3 packs a day until i found GOD i asked him to take all my cravings away in a prayer a very deep prayer and1year later i still don-t smoke he gave me strength to quit cold turkey!! thank- you JESUS
Please do not despair. My husband and I both recently quit, both after about 22 years. We both used the presecription buprobion150mg., I combined this with the patch. I used a 7mg. patch for about 1 month. My husband, who was a heavier smoker, used the prescription alone. We were moderate to heavy smokers and worried about having to give up our last -vice-. I am happy to say that I am on day 34 without a cigarette, my husband is on day 30. I have respiratory issues, my husband does not. You are not alone. Honestly when I began thinking about quitting, I worried more about what was going to happen to our marriage..., that-s how much he enjoyed his cigarettes. We both have had shaky times. I still have cravings but if you get through the five second craving and concentrate on something else the craving passes quickly. Try these aids if your thought process will not let you get pass this. You will get through it I promise and try not to concentrate on it. I have been surfing the lung cancer/disorder sites, it is so worth it to stay quit.
Anyone out there tried to quit smoking? -