Ways that have helped you quit smoking. Suggestions needed please :)? -

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ways that have helped you quit smoking. Suggestions needed please :)? -


I have been smoking since about september and I really would like to quit for my mom. She has known many people with lung cousin and a close family friend has very very serious throat cancer because of smoking and I know it really upsets her to see me smoking. I frequently smoke a lot when I drink and also all my close friends smoke so being with them is like having the temptation in my face. Are there anyways that have really worked to help you quit ?
Well, all i can say is this...Just tell yourself no. It-s funny because I JUST started smoking in February of 08 and I-m 29. It-s hard for me cuz like you said, I-m around smokers all the time. Basically, I get the urger for one, especially when I-m drinking, but I also feel it-s such a disgusting habit...Just tell yourself no and let your friends know you are quitting and if you ask them for one, no matter what, they should tell you no.

I often think about cigarettes all the time, but I know if i go smoke, it will stop my progress even if its- only been 5 days and although I say, -hey, it-s just 1 or 2,- I-m stil disappointed in myself.
I smoked for 27 yrs-about 1 - 1/2 packs a day. I quit -cold turkey- a little over 6 yrs ago,I did it for ME,not because somebody else bitched or lectured about it. I bought my very first brand new car and used the money I was spending on smokes for the monthly payments and kept telling myself that if I went back to smoking I-d have to give up my car,couldn-t afford both. I loved my new car and I love me,so I stayed off of them. Good luck.
I lost my mom to lung cancer back in 96-, she died a miserable death from years of smoking; Imagine having to breathe through a small straw that-s what it felt like to her. I miss her so much and my life has never been the same since. Please do not put yourself or your family through this pain. This is the best advice I can give you.... Good luck and God Bless.
the patch
I was one of those I-ll-quit-smoking-when-they-pull-the-pac… kind of smokers. Loved everything about it. Totally in denial of what it was doing to me.

After years of badgering from spouse, doctor, strangers on the street - - I finally asked Dr. about help to quit. He prescribed Zyban.

Now, mind you, I was only half-a$$ed trying to quit. I thought I-d try the pills, then go back to smoking, swearing the drug didn-t work.

Much to my surprise and chagrin, the drugs worked -- within DAYS! I just stopped liking the taste. Well, that-s not true. The truth is they had no taste at all anymore. After 22+ years of up to 2 packs-a-day, I quit smoking in about a week.

Now, the habits are another thing . . . but once you kill the ENJOYMENT of the cigarettes, and the cravings, the habits are easy to give up.

I-m 10 years smoke free, and it was the greatest thing I-ve ever done for myself.

When you do quit - - should you ever think about going back - - just make a list of all the good things that have happened since you quit, like being able to walk up stairs without wheezing, or being able to spend a couple of extra $$s on yourself that you used to - - literally - - burn through.

I wish you the very best of luck.
Ways that have helped you quit smoking. Suggestions needed please :)? -