Can anyone help me im trying to quit smoking but cant any suggestions? -

Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Can anyone help me im trying to quit smoking but cant any suggestions? -


need some help been tryin to quit for 2 years
Quitting smoking is a great opportunity to learn about ourselves.
Congratulate yourself on having the desire to stop - then you are over the worst, but still need to maintain your resolve. It-s just so easy to start thinking that just one won-t hurt, but it does. Just one achieves nothing except feeling the need for another. Whatever you do, don-t have just one. Beware - alcohol will weaken your resolve.
Here-s a few home-brewed tips that might be useful.
It-s not just nicotine addiction - there are 50+ chemicals in cigarettes. Also the main problem is habit.
We have been used to having body sensations which we translate as -my body needs something-, which we have attempted to satisfy by having a cigarette.
When we try to stop smoking, we still get these -my body needs something- sensations, and we still feel that we want a cigarette. We have to train our body to be more selective. When we feel we need something, we have to work out what it is that we actually need.
A glass of water is an excellent substitute if nothing else comes to mind, as it helps with the clearance of the toxic substances in our body. Another good substitute is a bag of salted peanuts, used in combination with the water.
Another thing to do is to find an activity which occupies the mind or body. Go swimming - nobody wants to smoke while they are swimming. Slowly, as our body adjusts and translates the -want something- feelings into something other than cigarettes, then the feelings begin to go away. We know its not a cigarette that the body really needs, because as soon as we-ve had one we still have the feeling, and want another!
We will have a few bouts of feeling or even being short tempered. We must try to bite our lip, and control; ourselves. Recognise the short temper as being the removal of toxins which are trying to find a way out. They went in through the mouth, and they try to get out that way to. We must learn to keep our mouth closed, and force the toxins out the other way.

After we have stopped for a while we will begin to feel that just one wont to any harm.
All that leads to is a desire for just another one. We must guard very strongly against the desire to have just one.
Two years? In your case, I would suggest the patch even though I-m strongly skeptical about using the killer to stop the killer. That just sounds absurd... sooo... if you really gave a crap about your health, go cold turkey. NOW! I suggest you isolate yourself for two weeks somewhere (forget about your job..) and get through withdrawal. First, though, read up and study sites to find out how you can cope with withdrawal and all the things you can do to curb your cravings.

Think about it... two weeks is all it takes to save your life, and maybe not even the whole two weeks! Stop with the deathsticks! Go take a vacation in the woods. Stock up on food, and breathe in FRESH air for once. I-m willing to bet that extracting your wisdom teeth hurts more, so suck it up and quit.
normally i-d ask my parents if i were you but...if you want to quit smoking...just try not to go near chain smokers and try to put something in your mouth like a pencil instead of a cigar...but the best way is not to go outsie so much and if you-re being tempted to smoke just lock yourself inside your room and try to think of something else or play video games just try to concentrate in doing one thing( not smoking)
Well, I quit smoking one Xmas when I ran out of cigs, and all the stores were closed..so i said -I will teach them all a lesson! I just won-t buy their stupid cigarettes ever AGAIN!- and...so I didnt! That was like..10 years ago.
keep telling yourself that you dont need them.. and eventually, you will lose the desire to smoke..
addiction is a mental thing..
and if your mind is strong, you can quit in a matter of weeks..

good luck mate,
-kay
Do like I did Go cold turkey!
Start by smoking less.
Go to your doctor and tell him you want to quit. Ask him to prescribe Wellbutrin (bupropion). It is the exact same medication as Zyban but it costs a lot less and is available in generic form. Zyban is a quite smoking aid. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant, but again they are the exact same medication in the exact same dose. It worked well for me. Stop all withdrawal symptoms and really softened the cravings.

The really cool thing is that you don-t have to quit when you start the Wellbutrin, you can taper down if you like. This is because Welbutrin has no nicotine in it. So you can taper down OR use one of the nicotine replacement therapies . Might be good for you since you have been trying to quit for so long.

Check the link below.
Good luck!

Terry

PS: What got me to quit was the fact that I had 5 cardiac bypasses put in on Oct. 4, 2006. So i guess I had some extra motivation. One other thing is that I have to exercise a little each day for my heart. I discovered while taking the Welbutrin, when I did get a craving if I got up and walked down the block and back the craving was gone. Just a suggestion!
started smoking for a very stupid reason. when i was in college some guy was smoking next to me. Stupid me thought i would try one and that would be that. Boy was i wrong. i came home for Christmas and my dad warned me that i would get addicted. I just did not listen. I have smoked on and off for the past 9 years. My doc gave me a new drug called chantix. you keep smoking while you take the first pack of of the drug (i think its 10 days) and than you stop smoking, but keep taking the pills until you are ready to stop. My advice for those who smoke or are thinking about it. DONT even have one cig.. once you do you are hooked and for those who already do smoke. STOP. i know its easier said than done, but you will feel better, you will smell better and most of all..you will live lot longer.
you can minimise the smoking habits by using chewing gums when you feel the sensation for smoking.moreover thing of hating about smoking help you to be free from smoking because as you think as you will .
I used nicotine patch therapy and i quit now 4 years have passed no need of smoking
well, i-ve stopped for 3 months and, yeah, it-s been hell for me...but you just gotta hold on to it, eat sweets, snacks, go and buy lots of them, it helps...and drink a lot of water to wash out all the toxic, make yourself busy all the time, now go! you can do it! go! go! go!
If you currently smoke menthols, try sucking on Hall Eucalyptus Cough Drops. They-ll give you that -menthol- kick that you miss from the smokes. Worked for me very well. (eventually I had to wean myself off the Halls, but it was a lot easier than weaning off the smokes!)
Can anyone help me im trying to quit smoking but cant any suggestions? -