I quit smoking and look and feel worse? -

Tuesday, March 7, 2006

I quit smoking and look and feel worse? -


i stopped smoking 8 days ago with the aid of patches but i feel and look worse than ever. I know my body is detoxing but i have gone a strange colour. Kind of ill looking and my skin looks even duller. Ive also got a mysterious white patch of my cheek and the skin is even duller on the white patch.

Ive also got sore eyes, dizziness, itching, joints and muscle aching. apart from that im ok.

Can anyone shed light and advise. TY
Hi Sarah UK

yes.. been there done that.. early recovery is full of surprises, most of them not pleasant...you didn-t mention sleep symptoms, some of us sleep all the time, others have insomnia.. i want to say relax, but know you cant..

congratulation on those 8 days that-s a real big deal, means your on the other side of -hell week-.. and that for any smoker is a miracle regardless of how you did it!!!.

all those symptoms and more are a result of your early quit.. about the only light i can shed is my experience.. and that is, that i owe my over 5 year quit, to participation in a support group.. they answered questions, such as yours, and have given me comfort in time of problems, as well as advise..

I am a member of Nicotine Anonymous, and attend meetings both locally, and on line.. on line meetings are as close as your computer.. (on line meetings are listed in eastern us time, 5 hours difference from gmt.. however our afternoon meetings become your evening meetings)..

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
Most of those symptoms seem about right for withdrawal. It totally sucks but is completely worth it in the end. I have attached a link to a site that lists normal symptoms, as well as some things you can do to avoid cravings.

Good luck and good job!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!! The first two weeks are a killer. I definitely hope you make it. In time you will feel much better and believe it or not you will look better. You will lose that dried skin look and you will be much happier and healthier. Hang in there and I wish you success..
Well I hear that when people first quit they can suffer physically from withdrawal and feel ill for a while as the craving leaves. Props to you for quitting though! Best of luck with it.
It will take months before your body stabilizes. HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!
maybe you should wait a while
I quit smoking and look and feel worse? -