Has anyone quit smoking for a new years resolution and how long has it been? -

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Has anyone quit smoking for a new years resolution and how long has it been? -


I-m a smoker myself and would like to quit
Ive heard this works, but never seen it done:

If you are a smoker and you want to quit:

1. Go to the store and buy 2 packs of the cheapest cigs available

2. Go to your usual smoking spot and lock yourself in there.

3. Smoke the 2 packs you just purchased as fast as possible one after another until you either:

a. Throw up
b. Never want to smoke again.

And I have heard it works wonders!
I quit cold turkey in 1993 after smoking for twelve years and have not smoked since. So hard--but so very, very worth it.
Yes and I have not smoked in 5 years ,,,,,,,

Although it was not my first time to try quitting,,, this time I SUCCEEDED

Let me tell you a secret about quitting smoking

You will not magically never want to smoke again ,,,, you will still have urges to smoke and you must NEVER EVER SMOKE AGAIN

or you will go right back to smoking

Not when you drink, eat, have sex whatever way you try to rationalize that you can smoke ,,,, YOU JUST CAN-T or you will be a full time smoker in no time

You can-t avoid it, substitute something for it ie patches, gum or whatever - JUST QUIT

You-ll be saving money and your life - start exercising and you-ll feel better than ever in two weeks

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO QUIT ---- YOU WILL

IF YOU DON-T or YOU-RE DOING IT FOR SOMEONE ELSE
You will probably fail

Just remember the urge doesn-t ever just go away but it comes less frequently with time - Be strong and just tell your subconscious mind that I AM A NON-SMOKER and I DON-T NEED TO SMOKE

Good Luck and GOD BLESS

Happy New Year without coughing or colds
After smoking fairly heavily for many (20+ yrs) I managed to quit and have not smoked (or wanted to) for over six years now. How did I do it ? The most important step for me was I needed to WANT TO quit. I had tried many times before without success because I was trying to quit for the wrong reason. I was trying to quit because I thought I ought not to smoke. It may sound too simple but, in my case, it was this difference that helped me to make it through those first critical months. I sincerely wanted to finish with the smelly, coughing, - sneak out onto the balcony for smoke-, social pariah etc... etc... side of being a smoker. I also resented the -control- that cigarettes had over me, it made me feel like a loser. There is help. Nicotine gum, Zyban tablets (which I used), and other substitutes which suit different people. I found the Zyban tablets effective as they do not substitute the nicotine, they just make smoking unpleasant. After a while, you just light up a cigarette one day and think - this tastes awful, why am I smoking it?- and put it out. Only down side to the treatment is cost, but a lot of insurance companies will help, as it is cheaper for them in the long run if you quit. Anyway, its never easy, if you decide to go ahead and quit, all the best of luck. It is worth it in the end.
Went cold turkey about 15 years ago. Difficult for the first few days but when I look back, worth the pain.
(palliatives just prolong the agony)
30 years and counting.
I-m a smoker and my New Year-s resolution is to quit. I-m going to try Chantix. My doctor recommends it. I know someone who took it and quit. Doesn-t bother him at all. It-s worth the try. Good luck!
Me too, will try this time again. I woke up wanting to crush my cigs and throw them away. Just got carried away with yahoo answers. I think I am going the aggressive way with a hatred toward cigs. I am saying this because I can feel my health turning for the worst. Instead of being atheltic I let the cigs turn me in too a 20 pound weakling. I definitely let my self esteem go down the tubes. Hey good luck and quit cigs for your health. 2008 NOCIGS
I quit 2 years ago, how did i do it? cold turkey. although that method is not for everyone.
I quit on New Years 14 yrs. ago and never picked up a cigarette and it wasnt as hard as everyone makes out to be. I dont ever crave them. To smell them makes me sick. Good Luck.
Has anyone quit smoking for a new years resolution and how long has it been? -