How long do I suffer side affects from quitting smoking? -

Saturday, October 27, 2007

How long do I suffer side affects from quitting smoking? -


I quit smoking cold turkey on November 13th. I still cough each day. Although, the last 2 days my coughing has lessened quite a bit. However, I find myself unable to deal with emotions. In the past 28 years, I smoked cigarettes when I became angry or sad. Now, I find it difficult to cope with these emotions. Somebody stole my camera and I was a complete emotional wreck the entire day. I am not proud of how I handled myself. The next day I ate until I threw up. I cry often because I-m sad over certain issues in my life and I find it hard to overcome this sadness. The lack of smoking seems to increase the intensity of my emotions. I feel like there is something wrong with me because I don-t think I should be having such strong emotional problems 4 weeks after quitting smoking. I don-t know how to be happy within myself right now. I-m very hard on myself right now and I-m not sure how to get through these days. Anyone experience this after quitting an addiction?
The body goes through a myriad of emotional/physical withdrawals during the course of quitting smoking...congratulations btw for the steps you-ve been taking and for being successful to overcome pressures that are being thrown at you...hang in there!!

The nicotine is expelled from the body by the 3rd day of stopping however the cravings/habits that have been formed, particularly after 28 years, are still extremely strong and much of what you are currently experiencing are based on psychosymatic reactions that are engraved within your brain. It expects you to do a certain thing under certain conditions and in the past 28 years it has led you to deal with stress etc., by taking in cigarettes, now that outlet isn-t there and the brain is telling the emotions that this is not correct.

It will always be with you to do or react in certain ways...especially when -new- or -first- experiences handled without cigarettes being there, come along. You are hitting some of those -first- experiences and it-s early in the game so your emotions are being thrown around the map trying to get you physically to deal with it all.

Try to change your routine...how you do things during the course of a day...don-t do things the way you used to when you smoked...these are -triggers- when certain routines are dealt with the same way as when you were a smoker. First and foremost, DO NOT become dependent on food to help you through this...you-d be far more able to deal with things were you to throw yourself into some form of physical activity when you are faced with a -crisis- that brings on the emotional impact.

The camera being stolen, yes, a very upsetting thing...however, if you have insurance coverage...upsetting thing melts into an -okay, inconvenient annoyance but recoverable- (hopefully)...after 4 weeks you are still a -baby- at this non smoking experience and you certainly don-t deserve to beat yourself or your body up about things you cannot control. Instead, deep breaths, tell yourself you are doing great...look how far you-ve come with quitting, no going back now...keep going! And, you-ll be able to get better at self talk as you go along.

Give yourself AT LEAST 2 months to be on a more even keel with everything...there are still going to be those times when you-ll find yourself grabbing for a cigarette...wanting a cigarette, etc., but they will grow to be fewer and farther between as you progress.

If you didn-t have the emotional highs and lows at first...you are getting them now....that-s to be expected and you have absolutely no reason to feel badly about them...deal with them with the rational knowledge that they are expected as a course of passage to a smoke free life...they won-t last long and they won-t always be a part of the new you...honestly.

Learn to get into some relaxation techniques if you can see yourself going that route....find things that will quiet your mind and your emotional self...and now...go out and buy yourself something great!!! You deserve it.

Keep it up...you-re doing great, really!
You-re more than welcome! Celebrate your 4th week anniversary with pride...you-re going to make it all the way -quit!- Thanks for the very generous rating, greatly appreciate...best of luck!


Report Abuse



You are over the worse part,the toxins are still in your system.It took me about3mths.If you took up some form of exercise,regularly and change your diet to include,vegetables,fruit,also get some multivitamins to help your body,you find it will become easier.Stick in there,it all well worth it.Eventually you look and feel 10yrs younger.
Yes it-s not easy, but you have put you busy in some other things, like exercise, reading, listening music, watching the nature..the benefit is going to be greater than the small sacrifices..
The real thing in question is: how long will you suffer from the side effects of smoking.
-The cough is good, getting rid of terrible stuff in there!
-Emotions are floating to the top. Cigarettes didn-t make them go away (maybe the were lost in the fog and couldn-t reach your heart), you just weren-t dealing with them.
Believe me, face them for what they are and you will learn from them and grow stronger.
I quit a year and a half ago. Since then I have been through a traumatic experience, but haven-t used it as an excuse to hurt myself by going back to the old bad habit.
Keep up with the good work... you are on your way to a healthier body.

Remember we only have one body, it isn-t perfect and the world isn-t either. But that can-t stop us from trying to bring out the best of both worlds, can it?

If I could choose I would let only good things reach my feelings and life. But, we all constantly absorb negativity from the world outside. I let it battle within and come out as something good.


If you need some one to talk to... erynvoss@yahoo.com
Everything you are experiencing is normal to the affects of being addicted to tobacco--just because it is sold over the counter doest mean that once we are addicted we can just walk away without a hitch--the longer you are without the better you will feel--the reason you are coughing is because your lungs are clearing out --once that is done you will feel even better--Your emotional ups and downs are also very normal you are fighting this tooth and nail your body tells your brain it needs the drug and your mind tells you no way I am not going there so you have a civil war going on inside
Good for you that you are on the road to a non-smoker its one of the hardest thing to do
God Bless you on this rocky road you travel but remember that if by chance you slip that you are not a looser you will just do it again and quit--
I have been discussing various methods of quitting smoking with my doctor. I have told her of my past failures with trying to quit, and they all came down to the same thing...emotional highs and lows. She has informed me that Wellbutrin has been very effective in helping cope...it-s mild anti-depressant. So far-So good.
Good luck...you can do it!!!
How long do I suffer side affects from quitting smoking? -