I want to quit smoking and am interested in Zyban... does it work? -

Thursday, July 17, 2008

I want to quit smoking and am interested in Zyban... does it work? -


I am wondering if Zyban will be successful in aiding my attempt to quit. I have heard about side effects of the drug, including weight loss-- is this true? I know that quitting smoking can promote weight gain, and if Zyban helps with weight loss it is more motivating to me.

Please let me know what you might know about this drug personally. I-ve read a lot about it, but I want some first-hand information. Thanks!
Zyban may work for you but many people report unwelcome side effects. Your brain is a chemical factory so it-s not surprising if you fiddle with it by adding foreign chemicals you may have some unwanted side effects. Why not try a natural way of quitting by trying to understand why you smoke?

There are three reasons why people tend to put on weight when they quit smoking:
1.Generally, for most people their appetite improves because the toxins in tobacco have the effect of suppressing appetite. It’s tragic that this is one reason why young women start to smoke, because they believe it will help them keep weight off. When your appetite improves you may find you want to eat more. ADVICE: Eat healthily and get active. That means nutritious foods in satisfactory portions – don’t pig out on rubbish foods with high sugar, fat and salt content and do some exercise.
2.The minor physical withdrawal symptoms from nicotine feel exactly like being a bit hungry. So don’t make the mistake of trying to satisfy the withdrawal from nicotine with food. ADVICE: Recognise that during the first 5-7 days the empty hungry feeling isn’t real hunger. Have a drink of water or do a quick relaxation exercise instead of eating.
3.Many smokers make the mistake of searching for a substitute to replace the cigarette. Often this will be lollies or high calorific snacks like chocolates, biscuits, cream cakes or sausage rolls! ADVICE: Do not use any substitutes – you don’t need them.

If you follow this advice you won’t put on weight, in fact you’ll lose it, because once you quit you’ll feel much more motivated to get out there and be active.

Good luck!

Allen Carr’s Easyway To Stop Smoking http://www.allencarr.com.au/states/qld
I smoked since i was 17 yrs old quit one time for 8 years started back was smoking again for 8 yrs and i decided to quit but not on my own this time so i used the new drug out called chantix and it does work i have had about ten people i know used it and they quit so try it if you can. Good Luck


Report Abuse



Zyban is EXACTLY the same chemical as Wellbutrin.

Take that into consideration before you use it. Everyone I-ve ever talked to said it did work well, but they did have to deal with the side effects of a medication that was designed for depression. If you don-t need an SSRI, it can give you anxiety (worse than a nicotene fit), make you depressed and possibly even suicidal and withdrawl off of that chemical can make you really sick.

Be careful. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
i ordered SMOKE AWAY and believe it or not it worked. I mean i still smoke when i drink but thats it, i go for days w/ out one and its been almost 2 months now. Try it!
Depends on your make up. It did not work for me but it did help with mood swings. I stopped with cigarest,vitamin ,gum and tablets. It really curbed the urge. I have also tried patches which gave me nightmares and even when I was awake thought I was still in the dream. Didn-t like that at ALL! Cigarest you control your cravings with the gum and tablet. The vitamin is an herb that makes cigarettes taste bad and weird If you smoke lets say in your coat it will make you sick by the smell of it. Cost 100 bucks or you can try the net and get first set of everything for I think it was 16 dollars. Well worth it. Do it for a month and see cancel order or send back your money is your again to try something different. Good Luck!!
I used Chantix to quit this time. I did gain weight, but at the same time, I ate everything in sight! I have since lost the weight because I realized that I substituted the smoking addiction for a food addiction! This is what usually happens when people quit smoking. I have used Zyban/Wellbutrin before and it didn-t help me quit smoking and it gave me terrible headaches. I recommended learning more about Chantix. I know of 15 people who have used it and quit successfully! I also know of 3 who have used it and didn-t quit, so it-s really about the individual. Just remember to keep taking it for the 3-6 months recommended even if you think you don-t need it (that is if you decide to try this instead)!! I have tried several quit smoking products over the years and am very thankful for CHANTIX!! It is the best!!!
I want to quit smoking and am interested in Zyban... does it work? -