How do I quit smoking? -

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

How do I quit smoking? -


I have to quit smoking now. Right now. My throat has been killing me and I just want all of this to stop. It-s causing more stress than it actually relieves at this point. I don-t really know what to do though... does anyone have any advice or anything?
Of all the methods out there, the best one is still cold turkey.

You just stop, feel like you-re in the Twilight Zone for a few days, and then it-s over. Of course, you have a mental battle after that: you start to think it wasn-t so bad after all, etc. This can go on for years.

The American Cancer Society has some helpful ideas, too.

Millions have done it, and so can you.
It is really hard to quit. Depending on your age and how long you-ve been smoking. I didn-t use medication or go to therapy or anything. When I felt like having a cig, I said to myself NO. And I would wait until I couldn-t wait anymore, then I-d have a cig. Before I knew it I was going two or three hours without one. I-d find myself in a situation where I knew I wouldn-t be able to smoke for at least a couple of hours, and I-d purposely not have that -last- smoke. Just so I could go those few hours. Just keep putting that cig off. I-ve smoked for twenty years and when I decided to quit, I was up to 3 packs a day. It-s not easy. Good Luck!
start with the patch.........
1 hour without smoking makes your heart beat normal, what else if you stop smoking?
I belive you need to get your mind focased onto something else, discover what you like doing, write letters, go for a long walk, leave the cigs at home of course. get rid of all things to do with smoking, ash trays - the like. when the erge to smoke grips you have a drink of water breath in deep - tell yourself -I am no longer a smoker- remind your self of the long term health benifits you will have from being a non smoker, put the money that you would normally spend on cigs into a jar, at the end of the week -wow- what a bonus. As for your sore throat garggling with cooled boiled salted water a few times a day may help, if you feel you have strep throat or infection you may need to get some antibiotics from the doc.

congrats on becoming a non smoker from this point on.
yes buddy, i have some piece of advice for you on how you can quit smoking forever, but this demands for a lot of efforts from your side. if you are enough determined then nothing can stop you from reaching your target of a smoke-free life :
Avoid places with lots of smokers and try to keep away from your smoking friends when you have bad cravings. They-ll make it the hardest to quit. Tea and coffee are supposed to make you crave cigarettes more. Another thing is, try to change up your routine to where you can-t go out and smoke. That-s another thing that-s hard, your body is used to getting it-s nicotine dose at certain times a day.

Working out helps really well when you-re stressed and it can help your lungs get back to normal too.

You can also take Wellbutrin, it-s an antidepressant and one of it-s side effects is smoking cessation.
Get a hobby. Chew some nicotine gum.
How do I quit smoking? -