How can I tell if my dad is lying to me about him quitting smoking? -

Monday, April 25, 2011

How can I tell if my dad is lying to me about him quitting smoking? -


My dad had quit smoking for a while, but now signs of him smoking are coming back: yellow and black teeth, mints in his pockets, lighters in his car, dirty fingernails. I know he might be telling the truth, but I want to hear other opinions about this. HELP!!!
It sounds like hes smoking again. When hes not looking, I would look for cigerettes. If you find any, throw them away and say you didnt see them, if he asks. I wouldnt talk to him about it, because from what you make it sound like, if hes smoking, its a secret. And if its a secret, hes not going to come right out and tell you that hes smoking. I mean, if you were smoking, and your dad asked if you were, would you just say -Yup. You got me. I smoke.- Nope. You would try to hide it. Everyone would. If you ask him, all that will do is make him more carefull, and harder for you to find proof that hes smoking. Now, if you get any evidence, confront him. Thats what I would do. Just keep on your look out. Good luck, I hope you find out that hes not smoking.
Smell his breath, give him a little peck on the lips, or smell his hands. If your a none smoker you can smell the smoke on their hands no matter how much they wash them....Try it.
If he-s cheerful, happy, calm, relaxed, easy-going, always even-tempered then - he-s not trying to give up!
If you do find that he is smoking again, tell him to view this website:

http://www.mededu.miami.edu/Tobacco/main

and this:

http://tobacco.aadac.com/media%5Fcampaig…

Don-t let him get away with the self-satisfaction of thinking he-s somehow completely fooled you, as you probably haven-t. He has to hide these things somewhere. As for the cigarette butts he can probably flush those in the toilet. I don-t know what signs to look for really other than what you-ve already mentioned besides smell, but you-ve somewhat covered that with the mints. Find these things, and when you-re reasonably sure, confront him about it, which you probably already have. Maybe you could show him that you care about his health. Maybe you shouldn-t give a damn. I wouldn-t necessariliy make him your enemy over it. It might not help or it might in the long run. It would be nice if he was honest about it. Then again his dishonesty makes him feel guilty, and that could make things turn out better. It-s complitcated. If I were in your position, I probably wouldn-t care much unless he has some serious health issues.
Just confront him and be honest about your concerns.
He probably doesn-t want to disappointment you and may be ashamed.
Don-t be confrontational or judgemental. Understand that he has a serious addiction and its very hard to quit.
Offer support, tell him how proud you were of him during the time when he did quit and that you wish he would quit again...and for good! Tell him that you just want him to live a long healthy life.
My father passed away of cancer of the esophagus (which is directly caused by smoking). He smoked for over 50 years of his life and could never quit. I would just repremand but I wish I could-ve approached it differently.

Here are some websites for you. You could even print some useful info (like quitting tips) for him:

http://www.smokefree.gov/


http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/tobacco/co…


http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smoking/…


Best of luck to you and your dad!
Well here-s one if he is mostly out side and hiding his face then that-s a sign of him smoking. Even though he has lighters does not mean he is smoking it might but could also be that he hasn-t got rid of them yet. But if he has cigarettes than I think he-s smoking and lien to you.
Smell him!!
you could sit down with him and talk, tell him to be 100% truthful, and if he is remind him why it is bad for him if he isn-t then just keep a close watch on him for a few days and good luck.
How can I tell if my dad is lying to me about him quitting smoking? -