How much weight did you put on after quitting smoking? -

Friday, November 14, 2014

How much weight did you put on after quitting smoking? -


I really want to quit smoking but I have recently lost 17 pounds and am now down to my target weight, i am worried if i give up smoking i will put weight back on. I wondered if you could tell me the reason that you put on weight...ie - was it because you ate more or because you think your metabolism changed?
I didn-t gain any weight when I quit smoking, in fact I lost a couple pounds. I attribute this mostly to the fact that I was concerned I would gain weight so I made a conscious decision to not substitute food for the smokes and also made sure I worked out a little more. I used exercise as a way to curb my nicotine cravings. Whenever I wanted a cigarette I-d go for a run, do 100 crunches, pushups, jumping jacks - whatever. It-s amazing how well this works at curbing the cravings, plus it gives you some extra physical activity. I-ve heard scientific studies that say your metabolism will slow, but I-m guessing it is pretty minimal since I was a fairly heavy smoker (pack a day) and it didn-t seem to affect me at all. The bottom line is if you have to make a choice between being a little overweight or quitting smoking - kicking the cigarettes will be far better for you. If you do gain some weight you can always lose it again. Your lungs cannot be replaced. I wish you the absolute best of luck!
Your metabolism will change and appetite increase. The average increase is 5-7 pounds. But keep in mind that you would have to gain 100 pounds to equal the risk of smoking! Worry about the smoking first -- for most of us it-s a lot harder to stop smoking than it is to lose weight. Once you-ve conquered that, you can take off any extra weight with diet and exercise.
Let-s face it, food tastes better when you quit. It-s normal. I used Chantix last summer and actually lost a few lbs. when I quit. Stress with losing my job made me start again, but I-ve lost 15 lbs. and I-m getting my Chantix prescription filled today and starting again. It really does help. Everything tastes horrible at the start so you aren-t tempted to eat while you are quitting.
i gave up smoking with my fourth child and eat constantly and i didn;t worry about the weight issue because i thought oh well i-m pregnant and i lost the weight after the other kids, but that didn-t happen.
my baby is now 16 months old and i have only lost 4 kilos since having her, i was 57kilos, and by the end of my pregnancy i was 82kilos, but have recently dropped four kilos from being sick but now i-m going to try to watch what i eat, but yes i got addicted to all the wrong foods and always needed something there,try gum{sugar free}, or suck on lollipops. best of luck
Some people, after quitting smoking need a subsitute for a cigarette. So they pick eating food. If you quit smoking and focus on doing something healthier than you wont get fat and you wont be unhealthy. Hope this Helps! Good Luck!
I quit smoking in March 07, and I am now 35 pounds overweight. It creeps up on you. I think its because my habit changed from smoking to snacking. Youve got to find other ways to keep yourself busy!
How much weight did you put on after quitting smoking? -