How come every time I try to quit smoking? -

Friday, February 4, 2005

How come every time I try to quit smoking? -


I have heart palpitations? They won-t go away. The most I will make it to is about a month and then I can-t take it anymore. They disturb my sleep and I just start smoking again. Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do about it?
Make sure you either taper off slowly or try the nicotine patches. Sounds like your body is like mine and can-t take quitting cold turkey. The 1st time It happened to me I had heart palpitations 24/7 with fevers and a few other things for 3 months. But the last few times I tryed to quit the Anxiety took a greater toll. Each time adding more trauma than before. So needless to say I smoke. And it will be awhile before I attempt to quit again. I know I can NOT taper and too paranoid to stop again right now.
It-s extreme anxiety caused by the nicotine withdrawal and deprivation. I-ve had them, too. (I-ve been so upset at quitting that I-ll get suicidally depressed, and once started again after 8 months).

What I did about it was to go to my doctor and ask for a prescription for Chantix. It-s a little expensive, but so are cigarettes. How it works is that it ties up the nicotine receptors in the brain so thay you don-t undergo the chemical withdrawal. All you need to overcome is the behavioral stuff, like a cigarette first thing in the morning, or while you-re on the phone, etc. You will have very vague urges to smoke, but they are fleeting. I found that a little exercise helped shut down the urges.

You take it in the morning and at night. I took it for about 5 weeks with success of 1 1/2 years, and no depression! When I went off it, for some reason I had few cravings. Eighteen months later, I will rarely want one after a big meal, or when under stress, but the success and freedom has kept me from restarting.

Since you have to contact your doctor for this, why not ask for a prescription for Xanax? You could get 0.5 mg tablets, which are scored (and which is a small dose) and cut them in half. It-s also advisable to anyone quitting to avoid coffee, tea, and other drinks with added caffeine. (I just found out Sunkist orange has almost as much caffeine as Mountain Dew!)

I had tried about 10 times to quit. With Chantix it was a breeze, and I didn-t even get b*tchy!

I think your palpitations were caused by adrenaline being pumped out by your system due to the shock and discomfort of quitting. I would ask your doctor for Chantix, and the Xanax. It-s worth it when you consider the incredible harm cigarettes do to your body!

Good luck!
I haven-t had that but maybe it is anxiety and the stress of your day to day... Since smoking has that calming effect and you are no longer doing it this could be the case. Sorry if it wasn-t much help I just know when I quit smoking in sept I seemed more worried and stressed before I quit. I hope you find the answer you are looking for!
How come every time I try to quit smoking? -