How do I quit smoking? -

Friday, February 11, 2005

How do I quit smoking? -


I am only 21 years young, and yet I have been smoking for the past 3 years. I am desperate to quit, but anytime I try to, I keep going back to it. It-s an obsession I want to get rid off. Someone please help.
Mongoose, quitting smoking will be one of the best things you-ve done in life seriously.

Here-s a really good tip:

when your quitting smoking you have to realize you-re quitting a nicotine and caffeine addiction, so when you-re quitting cigs, you can definitely drink more coffee, because it helps a lot.

Some other tips from a smoke quitter:

lozenges are easier to use than the gum, in my experience, and have somewhat better results in studies. Make sure you follow the instructions, if you slack off and your nicotine levels start to drop you-ll go for a cigarette rather than a lozenge.

my uncle tried this and so should you!
1. find a jelly jar (or any little jar) and fill it half way with water
2. put some cigarettes inside the jar
3. shake it up and put the cap on
4. bring it with you everywhere a
5. smell it when you want to smoke
6. keep smelling until the urge goes away (warning: it smells AWFUL)
7. after a while, you won-t even WANT to THINK about smoking
it worked for him, and i really hope it works for you. good luck!!

Also I know a ton of people who tried this product and it told me it works.
http://susanwilder.com/quitsmokingnow

hi MunGoose..

yep its actually more than an obsession, its addiction, to one of the most addictive drugs, known to man.. otherwise you could do what the other guy says, just don-t buy any, or a lot of stuff that non smokers say..

the bad news, is that nicotine is generally a hard drug to quit.. the good news is, that it is doable.. quitting young is a solid for you, good call!!.. there are a Number of ways to quit.. and all of them work for some people.. you might want to call 1-800-quit-now.. they can provide you great info, as well as many times, can send you aids like patches, etc..

i tried many methods before finding something that worked for me.. ultimately, i ended up joining a support group.. i found it much easier to quit, with a group, than alone.. i attend Nicotine Anonymous meetings, both locally, and on line.. online voice meetings are as close as your computer.. you can attend meetings before actually quitting..


Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
How many cigarettes a day do you smoke? Do your friends smoke? When do you usually smoke? I used to smoke and those were the three biggest barriers to me quitting.

At my peak, 10 years ago, I smoked about 10 - 12 cigarettes a day. I heard that people tend to smoke at certain times (always after a meal, always with coffee, always when they had a drink, ect.) I heard a good way to quit was to gradually nix one of those habitual smoking times one by one. So first, I stopped smoking on the way to class. Then, with coffee, then after meals. After a year or so, I was only smoking about 5 cigarettes a day.

My biggest challenge, which I-m still fighting, is the urge to smoke when I drink. Up until last year, I only smoked when I drank, but sometimes that could be a whole pack of cigs! Lol. I-ve worked hard to resist, and now I-m down to maybe 1 or 2 cigs a week, tops. I want to quit all the way tho.

If you can quit cold turkey, by all means go for it. But personally I think stepping down gradually is much more effective.
How to stop smoking? You are making the right choice! At 21, now is the time to stop smoking. All the best to you! You will need to motivate yourself if you truly want to quit smoking. Nicotine is like medicine to the body and people will usually start considering it very important for them. Therefore, they are into a bad habit that is very hard to stop. Smoking is terrible, in that it damages a persons health and will eventually bring them closer to death. You need to want to quit from within yourself first. Also, if people offer you cigarettes, say no to them and let them know you are really trying to quit.
Stop buying cigarettes. If cigarettes don-t exist in your life, you can-t possibly be smoking.
How do I quit smoking? -