I want to quit smoking but I have joined weight watchers? -

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I want to quit smoking but I have joined weight watchers? -


smoking thing.....Now I not making up excuses NOT to give up, because I WANT to give up. But where I was starting this weight Watchers, Im worried about putting on weight if I give up, I mean when I tried earlier this year, I put on 7 pounds, and haven-t been able to shake it off since, Thats half a stone, and I have to loose 4 stones to get to my target weight. So should I loose the weight first then quit smoking? or do it all together?
Do it all together! Throw all your strength and willpower into the pot, go on long walks or whatever suits you as exercise to take your mind off smoking and lose weight, spend your evenings distracting yourself by learning how to cook delicious healthy food - just go for it. Big lifestyle changes are always difficult, so you may as well throw yourself into it and become the person you want to be in one big go - it-ll be worth it. Good luck Hxx
Girl I know the Feeling!
I tried quiting also and piled on stone over 2weeks! So yes you will pile on the weight and 4 stone is gonna take time especially when you will start only dropping 2-3ibs a week after the first 2 weeks of your diet. So be smart one problem at a time..get the weight off first then tackle the smoking!

I recommend you buy Alan carrs book on stopping smoking which is amazing but wait until you have lost the 4 stone you wanna shift...
Good luck, be strong - happy dieting!
Why don-t you ask the counsellors at Weight Watchers?
Getting rid of two addictions in one bang is a big ask .prioritise which holds the most importance in your life(you went to weightwatcers first so that is self evident)and take it from there.Alternativley just eat the fags,they are very low on calories and are a good source of fibre.good luck.
Well done for trying to give up I know how hard it is to do!! I quit using the tablet Zyban off the doctor but theres a similar on called Champix out now and they both stop the cravings so you don-t start snacking when you want a cigarette because you don-t notice you want one, but also try chewing sugar free chewing gum as well. Rather than Weight Watchers try Slimming World. Its a slimming club like Weight Watchers but you don-t need to worry about point counting and there are certain foods you can eat as much of as you like and still loose weight plus you don-t feel hungry. The diet isn-t as straight forward to follow but it-s easy to do and much easier to stick to!! So don-t give up I know you can do it Best of luck!!
Stopping smoking is seriously tough. I used to smoke and the addiction is very strong and difficult to get over. Dieting, especially with weightwatchers - which is quite a strict regime - at the same time would probably send you mad.

I-d say the best thing to do is take some regular excercise - even if it-s just walking - try and eat less sweet stuff and quit smoking first.

The benefits of not smoking will outweigh (no pun intended) the benefits of dieting. Once you have got used to not smoking you could try a diet, but you might be better off joining a gym when you quit the cigs cause you-ll have loads of nervous energy to use up and you-ll naturally tone up there.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide on.
You-re trying to change habits - both eating habit - eating the wrong foods, and the smoking habit.

Habits are created by behavior. Most people think that they can change habits via will power, etc. But the only way to change a habit is to change behavior. Weight watchers does it by telling you what to eat. By eating what they say to eat, you are changing your behavior. The problem with weight watchers is 1) they charge too much 2) they do portion control. A better solution is to eat a proper low fat, low cholesterol diet.
As for smoking, it doesn-t work to cut back, or to use patches or anything like that. A habit is stored in one-s subconscious, and can only be change by behavioral changes. It takes a long time to create or change a habit - some studies say 100 days.

When you stop smoking, it will affect your body chemestry for awhile. That is why it is so important that you also change your eating habits too to ensure that you are getting the proper nutrition without excess calories.

Low fat - 35 grams per day (read the labels)
Low cholesterol - no fowl, or red meats, just one small helping of fish per week.
High amount of complex carbohydrates - not simple carbohydrates (e.g. sugars). Complex carbohydrates fill you up - keeping you from feeling hungry, and you can eat lots of them. They-re also great for your digestive system.

Excess weight is a symptom of poor eating habits. Concentrate on changing the habit, not on losing weight.
My advice would be to do one at a time, quit smoking first, yes you will put weight on but once youve conquered that vice, join weightwatchers, there will be a club where you live, then lose the weight. If you do boh together you will probably find yourself yoyo dieting, which we all know is not good for you. If you want to do both, change small things in your diet, like cut out bread, replace sweet things with lovely sweet fruit. Which will help you with the calorie intake at least.
Prioritise.

I planned to give up smoking this year and wanted to lose weight. I lost weight first, I don-t weigh myself but went down a size in clothes.
I gave up smoking over a month ago, I have eaten more and put a bit of weight on, but not as much as I had to start with.
When push comes to shove I prioritise the smoking, its easier to have a day of the diet than a day off giving up smoking.
I think I-ve probably stabilised a bit now, I-m not trying to lose weight exactly, just not put it on whilst going through the non smoking trials!
It also helps that I-m spending my cigarette money on clothes so that-s another incentive to stay in the size smaller clothes. I will try and lose weight again when I feel the smoking issue is more under control.

Good luck, both these things are bloody hard work on their own, never mind together! Don-t be too hard on yourself either. I was smoking for 16 years, and if I keep in mind I also gained my excess weight over 16 years then its not like I could possibly do all that in one day, week, month or even year.
Both these things are long term lifestyle changes not a goal you can suddenly achieve.
Commit lozenges. 0 calories, nicotine bliss.


http://www.commitlozenge.com/

You don-t put on weight just by giving up smoking, you put on weight because you replace the cigarettes with food. This would probably be the best time to give up smoking because hopefully you should be very aware of what you are eating.
I want to quit smoking but I have joined weight watchers? -