Im a heavy smoker, I quit smoking 2 month ago due to chest pain, I have a problem now, Im always hungry , why? -

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Im a heavy smoker, I quit smoking 2 month ago due to chest pain, I have a problem now, Im always hungry , why? -


If I dont stop eating too much now, ill die earlier of High blood pressure or overweight. My Dad is also a heavy smoker when he was my age (48) he stop smoking at the age of 70 years old, he-s now 79 and is healthy. Darn, I think ill smoke again to live longer.
Hmmm ... you WERE a heavy smoker till two months ago! Now you are no longer a slave ... but there are things about slavery that are very comforting and your body either needs to replace that with something equally comforting or you need to tell your body that -it-s OK - we are dealing with it-.

You quite likely are missing something to do with your mouth or hands or just the break while you go outside - and smoking also curbs hunger pangs.

Drink water (especially water with a touch of lemon) - have a bottle by you always and take sips. Bananas or apples are also good - they tend to send comforting signals to the stomach that allays its anxiety. What is happenning is that your stomach is telling you it-s hungry. It-s a false alarm - an anxiety symptom.

Also, avoid alcohol (maybe just for a while or in moderation) ... it weakens the will.

I don-t suppose you want to smoke again, much, so congratulations for making it this far! Stopping doing something makes us so aware of all the habits and comfort stories we tell ourselves to make us believe.

Well done for breaking out of slavery!
LOL. Your taste buds have come back and food just naturally tastes better. Smoking suppresses taste buds. Just be careful---it-s common to exchange one addiction for another. So many people DON-T quit smoking because they are afraid of the weight gain. I chewed gum--a LOT of gum for a while. Everytime I wanted a cigarette-I chewed. Kept me from eating a lot and craving a cigarette.
I tried to quit one time and gained 20 pounds.I was always wanting to eat.I started back smoking.That-s been about 10 years ago.I was never able to lose that extra 20 pounds.Like you say, being overweight is not healthy either.I guess I-ll just keep smoking.It-s a nasty habit.Wish I had never started
Oral fixation.
You are trying to replace the habit with something else. Take up some sort of hobby when thinking about eating.
no guaranties your going to live longer if you start , your chest hurts because your lungs are learning to work again and diffuse oxygen like they should ,your hungry because your no longer feeding you body-s needs with nicotine, keep allot of fruit around and healthy foods , try to refrain from fast food when your feeling starved and give it some time you-ll breath better and you will create better habits of eating , good luck
its not because you are hungry its that need to do something with your hands find something else to do chew gum or chew on a pencil just dont eat all the time
Because smoking is an appetite suppressant.
So when you quit your hunger levels go bananas.
It-s far easier to diet than quit smoking so don-t worry about stuffing your face too much.
Just stick with staying off the weed , your body will get use to the change eventually. When it does then you can think about loosing any weight you-ve put on.
It will take you about a year to really get through full effects of giving up just be patient with it.
first,good job for stopping the filthiest habit going.You can-t stop eating because you are probably bored without having something to do with your hands,eg lighting up and the actual action of smoking.I suggest you walk alot,get a dog and when you feel like eating go out.Or eat something like fruit if you are really hungry,don-t repalce one bad habit for another.You are doing great ,don-t start smoking again!!!
maybe it-s because you r eating alot bc you have something cordinating with your hand and mouth like a cigarette. try eating carrots or chewing on a straw. gl
imma a heavy smoker to and look how healthy I look
a side effect of your from your body maybe?
Congratulations! Quiting smoking can fixate anxiety on other things. Sometimes people develop this addiction to sweets, food or exercise or simply smoke again once in a while.

http://www.original-smoke-away.com/

me too. but i ended up with 3 coronary stents. ice chips
are good and non-fattening.
Smoking will kill your taste buds. From what I-ve heard from nonsmokers, the smell and taste of foods you like will intensify.
Also, smoking supresses your hunger. Instead of eating, you-ll smoke a cigarette or two til the hunger goes away.
Also an oral fixation - always wanting something in your hands or in your mouth. Try sugarless gum for that, and try to occupy yourself for a few months until the cravings of food and smoking calm.
If you-re having trouble quitting smoking, check out convenient stores, and look for these (quitting smoking filters) they-re like these little plastic tubes that make you feel like you-re smoking, without actually smoking a cigarette. I bought a 5 pack of them and it helped when I was somewhere I couldn-t light up.

Anyways, try endulging yourself in healthy foods, try to exercise a lot (to get your mind off smoking or food), just don-t look at the sugar foods, they-re bad and will eventually kill you.
Honestly, I just quit smoking 12 hours ago. I swear. I-m using nicorette to help me to reduce my craving. I really hope that I can quit as I had been smoking for about 35 years.

Glad to see that you had already quited for 2 months. Keep it up. If you can control yourself for 2 months without smoking , you can do it for another 20 mths. Don-t use any EXCUSES for going back to smoke. Excuses like -I-m hungry-, I-m putting lots of weight, etc. If you find
excuses to get back to smoke, very soon you-ll be puffing
again. Don-t. I-m telling myself daily too not to find excuses. Let-s do it together to quit smoking permanently. Good Luck to both of us.!
thats a side effect of smokin, its how some people try to get skinny, although it has the opposite effect on me as i wud eat more!! plus ur copin wit withdrawls, apparently exercisin is the best way to keep on track!!
I-ve just given up as well and am having the same problem. Apparently your body often mistakes thirst for hunger, so drink lots of water. Also do some exercise if you didn-t before and if you-re going to eat, eat fruit or something healthy. Chewing gum might work as well. Good luck!
The reason is Nicotine is a drug that has an effect in your brain. It soothes you and takes away hunger. If you are worried about your weight and illnesses that can come from overweight then my advice is to talk to your doc. Mine recommended that I divide my meals in six servings per day to speed up my metabolism. He referred me to a nutritionist that taught me how to make the best food choices. I started walking every day with a friend. It helped reduce stress and was a -substitution- to the social aspect I gave up with giving up smoking. Until you can overcome your cravings for high cholesterol foods, if you are at high risk for diabetes and your BMI is over 28, perhaps your doc will consider prescribing Xenical. It will help you lose weight but on the down side its usually not covered by insurance and can run pretty expensive. But use the money you used to spend on cigarretts to pay for it and believe me after a couple of months you will not only look better but smell better too ( - : and have better health.
Smoking actually make your stomach very full. I-ve heard my friends say that smoking can make a person slim in an unhealthy way. But i tink is normal to find hungry. Just drink lots of water and eat your proper meals.
I quit two years ago, and I put on 25 lbs. I was 31 and weighed 110 lbs so the weight wasn-t that bad. But by not smoking I found out what food really smells and tastes like and I actually enjoy so many new flavors and tastes now. But I still miss smoking and my small frame.
Good luck it-s a hard one to leave behind.
One of the many effects of smoking is that nicotine triggers a looping chemical pathway in the brain that causes the addiction. When smokers quit, this pathway stays relatively active because other substances and behaviors can also activate, or create chain reactions that can activate this pathway. This explains why oftentimes smokers exchange one addiction for another such as over eating, chocolate or gum dependency, coffee addiction, alcoholism, even obsessive exercising. All of these behaviors are an attempt to fill the void created by quitting smoking. They can also be beaten without reverting back to smoking. It takes a solid commitment to adjusting to a healthier lifestyle including dietary habits and good exercise regiments. Your physician and a nutritionist would have some helpful advice on how to completely kick the habits.

Congradulations on quitting, and good luck on staying off the cigs.
Im a heavy smoker, I quit smoking 2 month ago due to chest pain, I have a problem now, Im always hungry , why? -