How can I quit smoking? -

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How can I quit smoking? -


I-ve tried quitting cold turkey countless times to no avail.
I quit a long time ago. I found that I had to change all my activities that I associated with smoking - for me - chatting on the phone was one big thing that I always smoked. So for the 1st yr., I couldn-t chat on the phone for too long or the cravings would get too strong. Also, after eating a meal, I craved a cigarette, so I had to get up and do something.

Really, when you-re trying to quit anything, you can-t just quit and be dormant, you have to replace that activity with another activity to keep busy and keep your mind off of it. Try things that are more active like going for a walk or doing something with your hands etc. For the first little while, it might be a bit frantic, but jump on a treadmill if you have to or go biking or do something that will really burn off that extra anxiety of going without. Anything you-re trying to quit has to be replaced with some other activity otherwise, that ritual is still there. We all have particular times and events that we associate with a certain activity so leaving that time period blank gives you too much time to give in to tempation. It also leaves a bit of a hole.

I also did something else - I used to carry an unopened (still in the shrink wrap) pack of cigarettes around with me all the time. And I used to say to myself that I could have one later if I wanted to. I know that most people may not be like that but for me, it was too hard to not have them -then I would crave them even more. If I had them with me (unopened) then I felt more comfortable and I could just keep postponing it until I finally had gone a whole year. If you think this might work for you, just beware of other people asking you for a smoke - if you open that pack for someone else, your will power will go out the window carrying an open pack with you.

You might even find that some of your friends may change. It-s surprising how much of an activity smoking really is. Especially just lounging around having a smoke. You might make a few new friends in an active crowd.

And you-ll be quite surprised how much more money you have in your pocket to do other things.

Good luck!!! :)
have a strong determination to quit! you know full well that smoking only gives you temporary feelings of relief and could give you a life time problem with your respiratory system...

if you have problem doing it alone, ask your friends to help you(that if they are non-smokers :P)...

don-t listen to the guy who first answered your question, he-s gonna die eventually of lung problems [j/k]^^
just decide that you dont want to do it anymore, every time you crave a cigarette remember any reason you think to smoke is just an excuse and is not valid.

dont do anything thatll make you want to smoke, like dont try chewing gum, when i did it it reminded me i smoked.

find something else to do. heres a few things you can use to -replace the habit-

if you find yourself smoking on breaks or whatever, just find something else to pass the time, buy some cards maybe.

if you need something in your mouth you can carry around flavored toothpicks maybe.

if you have the -need a cig after a meal- try -have a small glass of water after a meal followed by a mint or desert-. you know how hard it is to smoke when you have minty breath or a chocolate aftertaste.

the biggest thing is just to decide to quit and decide that you want to stick with it. ive quit before and its lasted long enough to break it as a habit, recently ive found myself um, lets just say the pack i bought last week still has cigs left in it, and i havent had a single one all day.

also tobacco use increases the risk of heart disease and stroke, this doesnt seem like a big deal, but if you know what its like to feel like youre about to die and your hearts freaking out, or if you get lung troubles and can barely breathe, it kinda turns you off. i had some bad panic attacks that made me realize if they were nothing, how serious a heart attack or lung disease must be. most of the time i want to pick up a cig i think how bad it could lead to and it really turns me off to it.
You can buy nicotine gum or the patches from the store. You can also ask your doctor for something like welbutrin or chantix. All of these methods have you start the medication and pick a date, like 3 weeks from now, and you stop smoking on that date. The medications just help to curve the craving, you still have to be determined.
just be aware that you have to stop smoking and you will do anything to do so. throw away all the cigarettes you have in your house and avoid any passing the cigarettes- store. always pray and if you desire to smoke just eat candies or bubble gum. you may want to get busy so you can also avoid smoking like going to the gym or mountain hiking. good luck!
could try this book... its worked for many. He doesnt tell you what you already know or try to scare you out of it, cuz you-ll just want another.. he puts things in a different perspective.

Allen Carr-s easy way to quit smoking...
Try setting a date - not too far in the future, and sticking to it.
And use a nicotine replacement product. I used an inhalator.
3 years now.

Good luck
If you want to quit smoking visit http://www.stopsmoking4good.org or email me at stopsmoking4good@yahoo.com
smoking is good for your health havent you heard. why on earth would you quite.
sew your mouth up that works unless you like smoking thru your nose
How can I quit smoking? -