How to bring up the topic of quitting smoking to my boyfriend? -

Saturday, August 4, 2012

How to bring up the topic of quitting smoking to my boyfriend? -


I really want him to quit smoking, but I know that he wants to quit as well. I don-t want to feel like I-m nagging him when I bring it up, but I did get some literature about Chantrix and I would really like him to try it out. How do I bring it up in a non threatening way? He knows what he is doing is bad for him, and for my asthma, but just like any addiction he can-t just kick it so easily.
If you-re bringing it up even though you know he wants to quit, he will perceive it as nagging. Simply give him the literature, and don-t sit and talk about it for a half hour. He knows what he has to do, and he can only do it when HE is ready.
How wonderful of you to be so concerned for both his health and yours. Sit him down and tell him that you-re concerned for the health of both of you, and that you know he would be happier and healthier if he quit. Get him some literature on the benefits of quitting smoking before you throw the Chantrix info at him. Let him know that there are many options out there to help him quit, and that you will support him every step of the way. Don-t push it or argue....just let him know you-re there to support him when he-s ready to try.
Good luck - this is a toughie. Quitting smoking is one of the most difficult things in the world to do, even if he really wants to. Many times people have to -quit- several times before they succeed, and even then it-s like alcoholism - the urge never truly goes away.

It is double difficult for you having asthma - I have it as well and I know how smoke of any kind affects you. Good luck. I know that ultimatums won-t help, but you will have to get him to work with you - if he can-t quit, see if he-ll at least go outside to his own private -smoking section- away from you.

If you two love each other, you will both have to come to a compromise. Maybe he will eventually quit, but you have to go on the assumption that he won-t. Believe me, even if he loves you, quitting smoking for someone else isn-t possible. I have asthma as well and it never once made my wife skip a beat, but she did go outside at least.
tell him he stinks and you-ll dump him if he doesn-t give it up

or try, patches, filters, gum, zerosmoke.... ???
Your asthma will keep getting worse if he doesn-t quit and you should make that very clear to him. Perhaps nicotine is more important to him that your health and perhaps you should only associate with non-smoking males.

Perhaps he should join a Quit Smoking Clinic if he is lacking in will power.

Champix in Australia and Chantix in America are both exactly the same and are supposed to have a success rate of 40%.
How to bring up the topic of quitting smoking to my boyfriend? -