I quit smoking a little over a month ago and it is harder to breathe now.? -

Thursday, December 13, 2012

I quit smoking a little over a month ago and it is harder to breathe now.? -


i quit smoking about a month ago and lately I have been finding it harder to breathe. I don-t cough up much stuff anymore, but I get out of breath and can-t breath if I over exert myself.

What-s going on and when will it stop??
Soon. It is just your body finding a new normal. The coughing while the mucous stopped actually opened airways better. Now that you aren;t coughing all of the time.....
Well it certainly depends upon how long and how much each day and your body-s response to it. Some folks can and do smoke for a lifetime with little effect but I wouldn-t bet my life on most folks having that response. We usually use 6 months to a year to see how much reserve you will get back. That being the normal functioning of the respiratory system. I am a little concerned that you are suffering shortness of breath upon exertion. My suggestion is to see your doc and/or a pulmonologist for a pulmonary function test and direction towards exercise tailored to you. This is really the only way you can know how you will fare. Ask your doc if you have a pulmonary rehab facility in your area. Best of luck to you. Congratulations on the first huge step toward a healthy future.
I quit smoking a little over a month ago and it is harder to breathe now.? -