How did you quit smoking? -

Friday, December 6, 2013

How did you quit smoking? -


As for me, it was a nine day stay in the hospital. My left lung collapsed due to fluid building up around the lining of the lung. Had to have surgery to scrape away mucous attached to the lung. Scared the heck out of me and I just went home and haven-t had a cigarette since. Just quit cold turkey. That was almost two years ago. What finally made you quit and how did you do it?
I read an article about how it affects you and your family as passive smokers. I felt very guilty and stoped smoking one morning. Cold turkey too. It-s the best way.
Before that I tried gums, patches and anti depressants, They all suck because you know you are still dependent on something.
i live in the northeast and it cold in the winter. i was just sicken trier of smoking out on the cold. so i quit and the price of the cigarette factor in it.
I gave up back in 1990 and used nicorette chewing gum. So glad I did because of the price they are today is shocking.
Cold turkey and the stimulus was a new baby (grandbaby) coming to our house. Didn-t want her subjected to second hand smoke. So quit, cleaned the house from top to bottom and no one is allowed to smoke in my house now. That was over 17 years ago. I smoked for 28 years so lucky I have minimal lung damage.
Easy, I never started it.
Lot-s of internal strength, exercise, occupying yourself, not thinking about smoking and professional help
I found it quite easy and did it lots of times.
i didn-t but congratulations to you on freeing yourself from those chains.
I used to smoke and have completely stopped. The main thing to do is whenever the urges and thoughts about smoking come to you, IGNORE THEM. When you think about a problem, you give it credibility, thus giving it power. When you ignore the problem and keep your mind off of it, you make it powerless. The key is to not acknowledge the problem and keep your mind focused on something else. Do ANYTHING you possibly can to prevent the thoughts from coming. Try substituting daily exercise in place of smoking. However, if you can-t exercise due to your breathing problem, I suggest you try something that will benefit you in other ways and focus on that. This has worked for me. Anyway goodluck, and I hope you find the answer.
I was having problems breathing, every time I lit a cigarette, so quit. I waited two weeks and started again, and in a couple days was having the same problems, so as you did ,quit cold turkey. That was 26 years ago, and so glad I did it. Congratulations, and I hope you never pick up another one.
went cold turkey , just suddenly felt like quitting and i think i was quite lucky i did not get the urge to smoke again yet well i hope not :) .. i was a a heavy smoker and smoked for almost 15 years.
Hi,
If you realy wants to quit smoking then The methods to quit smoking are

At this time the most effective methods for quitting is a combination of nicotine replacement products and the antidepressant drug bupropion bolstered by counselling.

1. Nicotine replacement

Nicotine replacement products provide low doses of nicotine that do not contain the contaminants found in smoke. They are proving to be twice as helpful as other standard quitting methods. Replacement products include nicotine patches, gums, nasal sprays, and inhalers. Side effects of any nicotine replacement product may include headaches, nausea, and other gastrointestinal problems. People often experience sleeplessness in the first few days, particularly with the patch, but the insomnia usually passes. Patients using very high doses are more likely to experience symptoms, and reducing the dose can prevent them. Certain individuals like people with heart disease, pregnant women, small children may need to avoid nicotine replacement products.

Nicotine patches: Nicotine patches, or transdermal nicotine, can be an effective way to quit smoking. The quit rate for patch users is around 20% after six months. Nicotine patches are available over the counter, but it is best to consult a doctor before using them, particularly people with any medical problems.

Nicotine gum: Nicotine gum (Nicorette), available over the counter, has also been effective for a number of people. Some prefer it to the patch because they can control the nicotine dosage and chewing satisfies the oral urge. Long-term dependence may be a problem with this method.

Nicotine inhaler: The nicotine inhaler resembles a plastic cigarette holder. It comes with a number of nicotine cartridges which are inserted into the inhaler. It has some specific advantages over other slower nicotine replacement products:

Nicotine nasal spray: The nasal spray satisfies immediate cravings by providing doses of nicotine rapidly, and thus may play a useful role in conjunction with slower acting nicotine replacement therapies.

Nicotine tablet: A nicotine tablet that is held under the tongue is also very useful.

2. Alternative and ther Methods for Quitting

Scheduled reduction: One study showed that people who used a systematic withdrawal schedule were twice as likely to quit as those who went cold turkey. The procedure involves the following steps:


Divide the number of minutes per day awake by the number of daily cigarettes; the result is the minute-long wait between smokes.

Set up a schedule with time intervals based on this result and using a timer, smoke only at those intervals; if the -cigarette appointment- is missed by more than five minutes, the smoker must skip that cigarette.

The following week, one-third fewer cigarettes are used and the smoking time is recalculated based on the lower number.

During the third week the count is again reduced by a third, and the smoker quits in the fourth week.
Change daily habits:


Change the daily schedule as much as possible. Eat at different times or eat many small meals instead of three large ones, sit in a different chair, rearrange the furniture.

Find other ways to close a meal. Play a tape or CD, eat a piece of fruit, get up and make a phone call, or take a walk (a good distraction that burns calories as well).

Substitute oral habits (eat celery, chew sugarless gum, suck on a cinnamon stick.) Go to public places and restaurants where smoking is prohibited or restricted.

Set short-term quitting goals and reward yourself when they are met, or every day put the money normally spent on cigarettes in a jar and buy something pleasurable at the end of a predetermined period of time.

Find activities that focus the hands and mind but are not taxing or fattening: computer games, solitaire, knitting, sewing, whittling, crossword puzzles.

Avoid heavy drinking of alcohol, caffeine, or other stimulants or mood altering substances.

Enjoy Life
I-ve been quit for 3 weeks now, and I could not have survived it without the patch and an arsenal of sugarfree gum. I looked into Chantix, but they bring on hallucinations and sometimes very vivid nightmares. The patch will give you vivid dreams too, but most of them are good ones and sometimes even kinky ones. It-s weird. BUT, kinky dreams or not, the patch is working for me so far, and I was smoking a pack and a half a day for 16 years.
got pregnant
your a women who quit cold turkey?

never heard such a thing. your story has inspired me to quit.

if you christian say a prayer for me, please thanx

wow i just got weepy eyed

congratulations on your accomplishment you deserve it
I have given up smoking three times.And it was the first time that was the hardest to quit.The other two times I started again due to stress. I tried many times before succeeding. I was short of money to last for smokes to last the week.And decided my son would benefit more by me spending the money on bread,milk and useful things.I was a very heavy smoker.And I quit cold turkey.But one secret for me was keeping away from smokers at first. The second time I quit and the husband(now ex-phew thank god for that,,hehe) was smoking and it didn-t bother me.It is hard,but worth it.Being able to breathe better is one great reason I especially noticed.Less wasted money is a good reason. Lots of reasons to quit of course.It is hard but worth it. It is now a few years since I smoked.A few times lately under stress I have thought about if maybe I should buy some ciggi-s,and I know all too well it would be a very unwise decision.
How did you quit smoking? -