What are some good ways to help quit smoking? -

Friday, August 5, 2005

What are some good ways to help quit smoking? -


ive been smoking for 10 yrs now, and have alot of stress in my life. ive always used cigarettes to deal with it... what can i do???
Credentials: I used to be a heavy smoker (3 packs/day, menthol). Quit previously 3 times. The last time took. Non-smoker for over 15 years.

For me, the hardest part about quitting was removing all of the associations around smoking. Example, whenever I had a beer, I had a cigarette. Whenever I finished eating, had a cigarette. You get the idea. I purposely and deliberately -weeded out- all the associations I had with smoking until I only had a few. In other words, I consciously did not smoke after each of these other co-occurring activities, until the urge was diminished. Once this was done, I had already reduced my smoking to a few cigarettes a day. To completely quit, it was a combination of negative imagery and getting the flu. I imagined coating my lungs with a thick goo of tar and nicotine while I smoked. I was never able to smoke when I had a cold or the flu, so after 5 days of various orifice purging, I realized I could probably go another few days without. Bottom line for me: discipline of living how you want.
As for the stress, good time to involve yourself in a very detailed kind of hobby, like model rocketry or exercise like biking. If you can weather through the first few days, you-ll start to feel the benefit of being able to breathe without getting winded, and smell wonderful scents of nature and/or aromas of baking and cooking seemingly for the first time! Good Luck!
One good way to taper the nicotine level down slowly over time is to smoke one less cigarette daily each week until you get to one cigarette per day for the last week. After that carry one cigarette with you (so you don-t borrow one) for the next several weeks but don-t smoke it. Then throw it away. Good luck.
I-m in the same boat. I-d say your BEST bet is to talk to your doctor about the new prescription quiting aids on the market. The gum, patch and lozenge did-t help me. Good luck.
you have to replace your habit with something like excersize for example. any time you want a smoke, go for a walk. pretty soon youll be too tired to want to smoke, and viola! you quit!
ok, well its not that easy but it is true and i wish you all the luck in the world...
Welbutrin is an anti-depressant that helps you quit smoking.

Normally I would not suggest an anti-depressant to someone, but quitting smoking is VERY hard emotionally and the withdrawals can cause severe depression or feeling like your losing your mind... to some people.

With Welbutrin you have a small window of oppertunity to quit... When you get to that window of time, the cigarettes smell and taste SO nasty that they make you gag... (Trust me).... Using the welbutrin combined with a patch will help you...

As for the habit of putting hand to mouth, which is very hard to lose... Try sucking on a straw, or sugar free lillipops....

Just my suggestion on how I did it...

According to 20/20.... Cold Turkey RARELY works for the long haul....

Tawny
Go cold turkey
go out side fpr a smok and time your self and go for a work
TRY ROLLING YOUR OWN YOU WILL SOON GET SICK OF THE TASTE !
IF YOU SMOKE 10 TODAY SMOKE 9 TOMORROW AND SO ON DAILY
WHEN YOU BUY THEM NEVER HAVE THEM IN THE SAME ROOM AS YOU

http://www.anythingbutcigarettes.com/qui…


http://health.yahoo.com/topic/smoking/


http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/


http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvL…
What are some good ways to help quit smoking? -