What is the best way to quit smoking once and for all, short of death.? -

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

What is the best way to quit smoking once and for all, short of death.? -


I want to quit, but I need help and not from Phillip Morris.
Ok this is the way i quit. It kinda sounds bad but it works.

you know when you drink you smoke a lot. well one night i ended up smoking like 2 packs in 5 hours. the next morning my throut was sooo raw. and my lungs hurt sooo bad. I didnt want a cigerette the next day at all. So i didnt smoke all day. and then the next day my throut still hurt bad so i didnt smoke then either. well the next day i was like if i can go 2 days i can go 3. so i did. then everytime i craved a cig i chewed gum or ate something. i did gain like 10 pounds. but it was worth it. and easy to lose since i wasnt weezing everytime i went running. and about after 8-10 days you stop craving them for good. Im not going to lie every once and a while i want one. but i just chew some gum or try not to think about it. It works and it-s free.
you could try to get the patch, gum, and keep your hands busy.
The best way to quit is to go cold turkey. Just stop smoking. Other things, patch, gum can still give you the small amounts of nicotine but you need to STOP go through the with drawl. Tough it out. If you are serious about it and you do it for you not for ANYONE or ANYTHING else, it will happen. Good luck!
Smoking is a very hard habit to quit. I, myself, have never smoked but everyone in my family has or do. When I met my husband, he smoked 2 packs a day and smoked that for 13 years. He tried gum, it didn-t work, he tried quitting cold turkey, that REALLY didn-t work. Then he tried the patch. It took a while, but eventually it did work. It takes a lot of self control and understanding from your family, but you can do it. You have to understand that at first, you will be angry a lot. You will feel like something is missing. My husband found that chewing sugar free gum helped a lot. He also chews on straws or pens, I know that weird, but just to be doing something with his hands and his mouth kept his mind off of smoking.The patch is quite expensive, but compared to how much you spend on cigarettes in a year, it-s worth it. You have to have support from family and friends and just make sure that you do something in order to keep your mind off of smoking. It has now been over a year since my husband has stopped and he is now healthier and happier than he has ever been. I wish you luck, this is going to be one of the hardest things you-ve ever done.
Haven-t you seen those folks pulling a tank of oxygen around with them? Can you see yourself with one? How about coughing yourself into unconsciousness? Or being paralyzed with a stroke? Come on, use your imagination. There-s lots of ways to quit. How about for your family/kids? Oh, here-s one... what about the money you-ll save not having to buy cigarettes and oxygen tanks and stuff? I got DSL and a whole bunch of other things with the $150/month I-m saving by not buying smokes.
Quitting is very hard but until you have spent the day with someone with either emphysema, or lung cancer, it-s difficult to know the repercussions. I am a nurse and trust me, it-s not a pretty site. I hope if you haven-t tried the nicotine patch, or gum, give them a shot. You definitely have to want to quit. It-s a rough road but just think of the rewards. Good luck..I hope you can beat this!
Stopping smoking takes guts. It is a really hard thing to stop because even second hand smoke can send you back. Here are a few suggestions.

No smoking allowed in your house or car, not even by family.

Don-t have that cup of coffee after a meal, a smoke seems to go with it.

Don-t go into bars and bowling alleys for awhile. They smell of smoke even when no one is smoking.

Talk to you doctor and see is one of the patches work for you.

The other thing is to keep you hands busy, if something is in your hands no room for a smoke.

Good luck.
What is the best way to quit smoking once and for all, short of death.? -