Why do smokers go back to smoking after they had successfully quit? -

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Why do smokers go back to smoking after they had successfully quit? -


In order to better understand the psyche of the smoker, I would like to hear from people who had successfully quit smoking and then started back. There is a lot that can be learned from your input.

In my experience, there are two main reasons that people go back to smoking

1) They do not appreciate that this is a true addiction and think that they can have -just one- cigarette (this emboldened revelation usually comes after a few drinks).

2) They are -stress smokers- and still believe that their cigarettes calm them down.



What is your experience? Do you agree? Disagree? What can others learn from your mistakes?

Dr Voelker
You can be 20 years without smoking, but you have desire for one and your addiction never went away. Its not stress, it doesn-t come with drinks. maybe our will power disappeared for the moment. Once you start again, the majority of latent smokers cant stop.
Happened to me, that I-m not a great smoker.
Smoking is not just a habit but an addiction. Some say that the addiction to nicotine is stronger than an addiction to some of the -illicit- drugs such as cocaine and heroin. A smoker needs a strong motivation in order to quit smoking. I smoked until I was 35 years old and quit because I caught my son smoking -- he said I was not a good example and if his mother could smoke why couldn-t he -- so I quit and I have never again had a real cigarrette BUT I often have a cigarrette in my dreams -- sometimes I wake up and can feel myself taking that first puff -- the action of smoking is one that the body does not forget and it is an enjoyable thing, even if it is not healthy. I know that if I ever did really have a cigarrette again, I would be hooked. I will even stand and talk with a group of smokers every once in a while because I still like the smell of smoke -- but not stale smoke. I don-t really think there are different types of smokers, once addicted you smoke because you are addicted and part of the addiction is that nicotine is a relaxant and part of it is the habit of lighting the cigarrette and pulling out that first puff. It is a complicated addiction but it can be beat. Once the body has rid itself of the toxins (which takes about a month) the only reason to go back to smoking is the memory of how it made you feel, and we are humans, so some of us are successful and some are not. Everyone has their own reasons for quitting the habit, and ultimately it is the individual choice.

I often feel guilty about the years that I would smoke, because the choice to buy a package of cigarrettes was stronger than buying a quart of milk for my kids! That is what a true addiction is, even though you know what the right and proper choice is, the addiction is so strong that you do things that can cause others to suffer.
It has a lot to do with the human psyche too...I went back to smoking because I-m just a creature of habit, and old habits die hard with me, if at all. It-s just been in your routine for so long...
Dr. Voelker,

I finally quit smoking 5 months ago after many years of trying. In the past I have quit and gone back to it several times. I think the reasons are probably sort of unique for each smoker. For me, I went back for a variety of reasons. Your #1 - #2 are right on track, but really the crux of why I went back every time is because I felt it was a comfort to me. I do not believe I was severely physically addicted as I only smoked about 10 cigarettes a day at most. I just became severely psychologically addicted. It-s so strange to know something is bad for you and know that it makes you feel terrible but to continue to be drawn to it. Addiction is a very strange thing.

I think it-s true what they say that -you really have to be ready- to quit. This was true in my case. I knew I wanted to try getting pregnant and that was the motivation for me because I wanted it out of my system before I conceived. (Sidenote - I-m due 7/5/07!)

I know you didn-t ask this question, but I also wanted to add that I personally do not believe in the stop smoking tools like the gum, lozenge, patch, pill, etc. I find them to only prolong the addiction and to make it seem ok to go back to smoking because of the excuse, well, I-m still addicted... At least I found this to be the case for me. I believe that it is mind over matter. Once a person gets through the first two weeks they start to become broken of the behavior. Perhaps this is only true for those of us with psychological addiction.

Anyway, hope this helps you with your research. Best of luck!
Well, My uncle quit smoking...and then one day my cousin was outside a looked at her dad smoking...well people go back to smoking when they officialy quit it beacuse thay cant take it anymore, they think stress and alchohol can relive everything...but there wrong!, resulting a doc..or physican can help too, by giving them tips to stop.

TIPS:

Top 12 Tips to Help You Quit Smoking Successfully

Be a Sponge

We all know that smoking is bad for us, but if you-re like most smokers, you avoid looking at the destruction smoking causes whenever possible. Take the blinders off and read everything you can get your hands on about smoking. It will help you start to make the mental shift necessary to quit smoking.

Use a Quit Journal

Journaling is a useful tool for anyone trying to quit smoking. Start yours with your list of reasons for quitting. Include everything from big to small, and leave room to add to it. Think about the pros and consof smoking and make your list as detailed as possible.

We have a way of believing what we tell ourselves over and over. Your journal will help you cement your goals. Prompt yourself with present-tense messages like: -I am a nonsmoker- or -I am strong and healthy-, and commit them to paper. Daily affirmations will plant the seeds of change in your mind, and it won-t be long before your actions are following your thoughts.
Find a Shoulder to Lean On

Having others who are interested in your success is very important. The Smoking Cessation Forum here at About.com is a thriving, active group of people who can give you the help and encouragement you need. Sign in as a guest to browse and read posts from other quitters, or register(free) to post messages of your own.

Eat Smart

Smoking cessation throws our bodies into shock initially. If you take care to give your body the fuel it needs to run properly, you-ll find that you-re better able to cope with the discomforts of nicotine withdrawal. Have the right foods within easy reach and you-ll minimize weight gain due to quitting.

Get Your Beauty Sleep

When you-re tired, cravings to smoke will seem stronger while you feel less able to manage them. Fit a full 8 hours of sleep in every night, and a nap here and there if you need it. If you have trouble sleeping when you first quit smoking, try taking a long walk a couple of hours before bed.

Drink Water

Water will help to flush residual toxins out of your system, and beat back cravings to smoke. When you-re well-hydrated, you-ll feel better in general, which is a plus when you-re going through nicotine withdrawal.

Get Moving

If you already have a daily exercise regimen, good for you! If not, start now. Choose something you enjoy doing, and you-ll be more likely to stick with it. Aim for a half hour of exercise every day. Walking is a great way to move and it-s a quick fix for the urge to smoke. Get out for a 15 minute walk around the block and you-ll come back refreshed and relaxed.
Renew Resolve Daily

Your determination to quit smoking is built one day at a time. Every smoke free day makes you stronger, and when you consciously take time to reflect and rejoice in the value of what you-re doing, you-re working to fortify your will to make this the quit that lasts you a lifetime.

Adopt an Attitude of Gratitude!

Think about the blessings in your life. We all have them. Be thankful for the freedom you-re creating for yourself today. Remember that you-ve wanted to quit smoking for a long time and you-re finally doing something about it. List out the benefits you see in your health and overall being due to quitting tobacco. It has been said that gratitude unlocks the fullness of life, and I believe that! Make gratitude a daily conscious part of your life.

Accept and Let It Go

Relax into your quit and embrace cravings to smoke as they come. Don-t fight - lean into urges and ride them out. Most cravings last 3-5 minutes. Think of them as signs that your body is healing - that is just what they are.

Don-t Fall forJunkie Thinking

Quitting tobacco is a gift, not a sacrifice. Don-t sabatoge yourself by feeling sorry that you can-t smoke. You are choosing not to smoke because you want to be free of this killer of an addiction. Keep your perspective!

Be Patient

Just as Rome wasn-t built in a day, people don-t quit smoking in a day either. Most of us had 20 years or more of smoking under our belts before we quit. Give yourself the gift of time and patience. Work to undo old patterns and replace them with newer, healthier choices. Each day you complete smoke free brings you closer to lasting freedom.

HOPE IT WORKED! :-)
I don-t know how many of these people who answered are smokers, I feel sure one wasn-t because she doesn-t know what she-s talking about. As a 40-year smoker who quit for health reasons, a nicotine addiction is harder to stop than hard drugs. There are no reasons to smoke, there are all kinds of excuses, the same excuses alcoholics have. It is a physical and psychological addition, and unless you admit you have an addiction, you aren-t going to be able to quit.

I have quit before, but this time I-ll make it because I now have emphysema and don-t intend to ever smoke again, nor will I allow smoking in my house. Second-hand smoke is as bad for me as smoking a cigarette. I knew all the risks and I smoked anyway. Why? I didn-t think it would happen to me.

I quit once for 5 years. Why did I smoke that first cigarette after being off them so long? Because I thought I could -smoke just one.- I could go on and on, but I think you can get it from here.

I am now taking the drug Chantix. It has some unpleasant side-effects, but not as bad as smoking. Once I-m through the 30-day course, I won-t get any more and I won-t smoke.
A few years ago I had hip surgery done and while in the hospital I contacted a virus and all toll I was in the hospital for 30 days. I had no cigs during that time and didn-t even miss them.
When on the way home in the Patient transportation van, a piece of equipment was not tied down and when he turned fast, it came loose and hit my leg that had been operated on and I got scared and reached for my cigs which were home. I am now trying again to quit. It-s really hard to do.
Why do smokers go back to smoking after they had successfully quit? -