How did you quit smoking? -

Saturday, January 8, 2011

How did you quit smoking? -


Please include how long and how much you smoked prior to quitting. Also, how many times did you try to quit before you were successful?
I was a die-hard smoker for 20+ years.... I quit smoking almost a year ago (last October) and here is what I did. When I decided to quit- I just plain old quit. No having a puff or one on a bad day.... I started out using the patch and it was too heavy for me. So after that I did it on my own. I tell ya- I bitched and moaned.... I talked about it and complained.... I whined and whined.... but I just didn-t smoke. I allowed myself to openly complain. In fact i talked about it for days and days... I just DIDN-T smoke. Since i allowed myself to complain, I let that be the outlet for my desire. It is also a proven fact that someone who has tried to quit in the past has a higher chance of quitting every time they try to quit. So, if this is your first time trying to quit, chances are you will start up again. If this is your 50th time trying to quit, you may be successful this time....
Just be easy on yourself. It-s hard to quit. Just be strong and make it happen for yourself. Quitting smoking is one of the best things i ever did for myself. Honestly, I NEVER think about it anymore. No more- GOD I NEED A CIGARETTE! The thought never ever crosses my mind anymore. It is hard but SOOOOOOOOO worth it. You-ll feel so proud of yourself. Just know that once you actually quit smoking and put it behind you - you can then accomplish anything you set your mind to.
the only way to quit smoking is to tell ur that u are not gonna smoke and belive in ur self
I smoked from the time I was 12 until I was 24. My heaviest was in college and right after, when I was up to 1-1/2 packs a day.

To quit, I enrolled in a cessation program offered by my employer. It involved -aversion therapy-. This was a program wherein I was placed in a closet papered with photos of the adverse effects of smoking (pictures of cancerous lungs, etc), and told to smoke as many cigarettes as I could in a 5 minute period. Each puff of the cigarette delivered a small but unpleasant shock to my finger tip. This process continued for 5 days straight.

I don-t know if it was the therapy that succeeded, or the pressure from my coworkers. This was back in the early 80s, when it was perfectly acceptable to light up at your desk. My coworkers were very happy when I quit!!
I smoked for 50 years. I tried to quit about 4 times. I smoked 2 packs a day and sometimes more.
I was told of a new drug that helps with quitting.
I asked my Dr for a prescription and The drug is called Chantix. You take one pill each morning for the first week and you also keep smoking during that week. The second week you take two pills and no smoking. You continue this for 3 months, and during that time you renew the prescription two more times. It cost me $120.00 3 times. and saved me 2,064 since I stopped 26 weeks a go. If you have any questions, email me.
Nort
Pot: It took about 5 years. Use to spend about $50 a week, and that was enough to roll 12 nice doobies. I still miss it sometimes. My buddies always want to come over and -burn one-, but I-ve got a job and responsibilities that keep me sober. Cigarettes have been an on and off struggle that I-ve won. It took me 6 attempts to finally quit. Use to smoke about 1/2 a pack to 3/4 of a pack daily. I had to gradually cut down, allowing myself one fewer each day. After that it-s a matter of not buying them anymore, staying away from the -smokers- crowd, and keeping myself busy.
The easy way - - I never started.
I smoked for over 30 years, and I quit in one hour by being hypmotized. It was $500 well spent
I smoked from 16-23. I-m 24 now. The easiest way for me was to mentally associate the smoking -habit- it self as really negative. At the time I couldn-t afford the patch or orther expensive modes of therapy so I just chewed a lot of gum and let myself have thoughts of smoking. When you supress them that is when they are the worst, because then it becomes taboo. Allow urself to morn the loss mentally and physically and think about smoking, but don-t acutally do it! Good luck! Its all a mental thing!
I am quitting tomorrow. I-ll use the new pill that-s out, but it-s like $100, or the patch. I quite before 10 years ago and started back up 7 years ago. Drat! It-s not easy, but just know that the cravings only last for a few minutes. We can get through a few minutes. Then the cravings become further and further apart until they are pretty much gone. The longer you have smoked the harder it is to give it up because it becomes a part of you. We have to learn to let it go and not stress about it. Just relax and deal with one craving at a time and keep thinking into the future.
My mom was a smoker, she started when she was 15 so about 22 years ago and she hasn-t smoked for about 10 years now. She used the patch and that was it for her. She tried a few other times cold turkey but of course that didn-t work for her. Now days there are more things then my mom had like the gum or there is a pill too. Good Luck and hang it there, if you start again try to quit again!!
Try a Yahoo search for -how to quit smoking-.
How did you quit smoking? -