How many are quitting smoking because taxes? -

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How many are quitting smoking because taxes? -


My husband and I are having to quit smoking because we simply can-t afford the -cheap- cigarettes anymore. I was wondering who else out there are having to quit because of this and what are your thoughts and how are you going to quit?
We-re in the same situation. We just can-t afford even the cheapest ones. We have enough to get through maybe today, and then we-re done.
How? cold turkey. I was thinking this morning how can we do this? then I realized the word quit means stop, just flat out stop. It-s the only option we have. We do not have medical insurance to go to a doctor to get smoking cessation products, can-t afford the over the counter ones either. so cold turkey it is. I imagine the first week or two will be rough, but it will be better for us in the long run. We plan to chew a lot of gum in the meantime.
good luck to you, and all of us that are now forced to quit.

-edit-
to the person below who suggested rolling our own - that-s what we-ve been doing the past couple years. BUT with the price increase, a can used to cost 17 bucks, enough to last us about 3 days, is now over FORTY bucks. We just can-t do that anymore.
I did and found that SEX was a much better vice, especially with someone who is not a smoker and it keeps me in check. i like the new direction. Why don-t you try sex and let me know your thoughts. Just buy tobacco and smoke it in a pipe if you can-t shake it and need the fix. its a little cheaper but more sophisticated.

Also, if you are going to pay that much for cigs, might as well buy marijuana and enjoy it. If everyone quits smoking tobacco, then pot can be legalized.
I have been smoking for about 37 years and until about a month and a half ago I have been kicking myself in the ***. This quit was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life! Its not over yet but I came to the conclusion to quit primarily due to the fact the cost is getting way out of hand. Also considering I could NOT find a single benefit that justified the habit, I quit. I surely recommend quiting and for that, don-t start if you don-t now. I have lost family members from the direct infection of the toxins. This is not life, just a miserable death in my opinion. I wonder how bad I have SCREWED up my life and now that I am older, I fear I don-t have much time to enjoy what is left. What a God awful feeling. If anyone is interest I will provide you a link to the help that has got me over the hump. I-ve tried other but this worked for me. I plan on using it it for at least a couple of months yet or more. For me it,it has actually sharpened my senses and this is a good feeling. One more thing, I calculated my savings and I can actually have enough to help pay off my car. Just some food for thought.
I quit when they were $2 pack, but more for my health than the money. I used gradual nicotine reduction along with behavior modification. It worked for me but still wasn-t easy. I just accepted that it would be worth some temporary suffering to improve my long term quality of life. Motivation and desire are the main things you need to quit. You have the motivation, so if you have the desire, you should be able to do it.
Good luck.
Smoked for 27 years and quit 8 days ago due to both the cigarette tax and my constant bronchitis. Tried nicotine patches/gums in the past and they never worked for me because they kept me craving cigarettes and eventually the cravings wore me down till I started smoking again. This time, I used a hypnosis CD (purchased online from www.hypnotistdawn.com for $16.00). Listened to it twice in the past week, and my cravings are very minimal now and very easy to ignore. Kind of rough the first 3 days while the nicotine was getting out of my system, but I then listened to the CD again, and it kept the cravings under control. I feel soooo much better! Breathing better than I have in years! Spending my money on fun stuff now instead of on a nasty controlling habit! Good luck with whichever method you choose!!! ;-)
My husband and I both smoke Camels, which now cost $6.20 a pack here in Georgia. Even the generics cost over $5 a pack now. Should we quit- Yes. Will we quit- Nope. It-s the only vice I have, so I think I-ll stick with it until they reach $8. We have started smoking less though.
Don-t feel bad because tones of people in the world are quiting because of how tight the money is and because of taxes.
cigarettes just went up a dollar and six cents.
It-s crazy because of the economy and the prices of everything are going up, but p.s. your making yourself healthier!
Why don-t you buy loose tobacco and papers to make them yourself? It is much cheaper. I realise it doesn-t exactly look good though.

I am a non smoker. I think people should stop smoking but I don-t think people should be unfairly forced into something. We ought to have freedom and quitting should be your choice. Good luck anyway if you do.
Goverment has u people moving like puppets lol! No im not quiting the only reason i would ever quit is for my health. What im going to do is protest against the ******* taxes going up. Its not my fault that USA bullies want to go to Iraq and take their oil... So stupid and instead of gaining money we lost billions of dollars at war. So i and whoever has the same belief will try to lower the prices to an affordable cost!
boo hoo, govt. finally did something good, by saving your life. (although they wants you to smoke).

I am a former smoker, I did it you can do it. Believe me they want you to think it is hard so you don-t try and waste money on drugs. Who profits BIG from this? again the govt.
No i do not intend to quit because it-s one of the few things i enjoy,

Where is the Gvernment going to get all this tax money they become so dependent on after all the tobacoo users are gone....Bread?......it-s some thing to think about.
I am moving from Marlboro 27-s to sonomas and still paying out the wazoo, i need to quit because i cant afford this bullsh!t
many of our friends have and my bf is going to after this last bag he bought before the taxes went up.. its like 55 bucks for a bag that cost 9 bucks last month... RIDICULES!
We don-t have to quit, all we have to do is incite a rebellion.
im not quiting but it still sucks really bad
How many are quitting smoking because taxes? -