Anyone battling to quit smoking? -

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Anyone battling to quit smoking? -


did you win your battle, how did you do it? Do you think cold turkey is the best way, my hubby manged it 10 months ago, i am finding it really difficult. Any tips? Have you beat it, how did you do it?
have sweets instead
...if you want to get fat....
seriously....read alan carrs easyway- it worked for me


Report Abuse



Allen Carr-s book -Easy way to stop smoking- is a life saver. Myself and my hubbie have both stopped this way and neither of us ever crave now. Tried it all other ways before, but this book is fab. He even tells you not to stop while you-re reading it, so it-s not even scary to start.
Good luck
You cant stop, no one can,they are all liars,you enjoy,neah,you pay for the privilege of sucking in nicotine into your lungs and shortening your life.I started to resent every cig i had and looked at a fillet steak,or a packet of cigs,its ridiculous,i pay to kill myself but wont treat myself to a nice, juicy,thick,fillet steak.(veggies substitute fillet steak with big cream bun)
I quit on the spot 10 years ago. Admit-tingly i was frightened into it from the sight of the scars on my fathers chest from a by-pass op. You have to find something else to do with your hands, mine was guitar playing and now i cant stand the smell of smoking. Sugar free gum is good as well and I am a long distance lorry driver which gets very boring. Try your best and good luck to you both
Hi, I have been off cigs now for nearly 3 weeks and am using Nicotine patches and they are great I have tried everything else to no avail.
im trying..but losing...its really hard to quit...
Giving up smoking is easy...I-ve done it hundreds of times! Sticking to it is sooo hard, I would also be glad for any usefull tips.
I gave up smoking last new year-s eve, I read a book by Allen Carr, called the easy way to STOP SMOKING, I had given up by page 38, its not scare tactics, it makes you see what a bloody mug you are, and now nearly a year on, I see people smoking and feel sorry for the pour, stupid pillocks. And it STINKS
I should be but I-m too lazy and selfish. I quit a few years ago and what helped me then was Zyban pills. I get really moody when I quit smoking but this helped me through that. But like any other method, it-s that little brain thingy that has to be ready before you try anything. Zyban is a drug and you should discuss it with your doctor. You start taking the pills before you quit and your-e not supposed to have to think about it too much. You do this for aout 10 days and then you should be smoking less. You continue taking the drug for a couple of months after you manage to quit. It helps with the mood swings and for some people lessens cravings for food as replacement.
My mistake was that I quit taking it too early so it was rather hard but I managed to quit for a year.

Good luck to you and let me know if you find the magic solution
i tried them patches but found them hard to light
i tried once and managed 2 weeks. im desperate to quit again but severly lacking willpower which is one of the main things you need to quit the cigs. i was doing so well b4 - set a quit date - threw out everything to do with cigs and kept myself busy.sadly relapsed after a very stressful 7 hour journey with my 3 year old son!
willing to be a quit buddy if you interested..just drop me an email.
i quit 10days ago after bein a smoker for 7 years (im only 21 though!) i realised i couldnt afford to smoke so just stopped buying cigarettes.

if you-re ready enough to quit it shouldnt be too hard. i found it quite hard cos i quit cos i couldnt afford it, not cos i wanted to quit which made it harder.

wait till you-re really ready to quit before you try

good luck x
I quit six months ago but after a stressful situation a few weeks ago I started again but am determined to quit again and am going for my first session at my local hospitals Smoking cessation clinic tonight as it worked for me last time.

I used patches and had a nicotine inhaler as a back up for those really stressful situations.

Good luck with your attempt!
I gave up smoking two weeks ago and believe me I really enjoyed smoking for the first 14 years of my 20 a day habit. It is important to look at your relationship with cigs as you would any other dis-functional relationship. You need to examine the pros an cons of your affair with the weed. it is my 2nd attempt at giving up, and this time I feel very confident about ditching the habit for good. The secret is you must be ready to give up. (sounds simple, and it is,) You have to have reached the stage in your relationship with cigs where smoking is intolerable. It should feel like the natural end of a negative chapter ( you wouldn-t stay in an unhappy relationship.) I am also taking Zyban, which has taken the edge of my cravings, and now I go through days where I no longer think about smoking at all. Take it a day at a time. Just promise not to smoke each day, you-ll be amazed how effective it can be. Good Luck. U can do it.
When all else has failed, just give in to the addiction. Light up. Inhale. Enjoy. As you smoke, have your devoted husband stand above with bucketfull of water. Tell him to pour the bucket of water over your head whenever he wishes.

This will work.

You will be de lighted.

.
Be prepared for weight gain. I gained about 40 pounds about 3 tears ago and have finally lost them (I didn-t really try to lose them till this year).
I gradually cut way back on my smoking. I was smoking about 3/4 of a pack when I decided to try quitting. Try to avoid as much stress as possible when you try to quit. I had just started a 2 week vacation so I didn-t have work stress to worry me, home stress was easy to handle. When you get to your last pack, try to make it last. I smoked 1/2 of a cigarette at a time and tried to wait until I REALLY NEEDED a smoke. When the last one is gone DON-T buy more. Fight the urge because if you cut back then you shouldn-t be feeling much physical withdrawal, It is mostly psychological. I didn-t empty my last ashtray so I rooted around in it and occasionally lit a butt for one last hit. Pitiful, and nasty tasting, but after about 2 days I didn-t even want to do this. I only quit because the price was going so high and probably would still smoke if they were still cheap. Please don-t get all high and mighty with smokers when you finally do quit, there-s nothing more annoying than a former smoker who has to confront every smoker and tell them to quit. Good Luck!
I don-t know if this will help or not . Good luck though.

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/quitas…

i gave up in august,after i went for a cervical smear and showed severe abnormalities,and one of the causes is smoking,so from the day on i gave up smoking,im 31 and have a 8yr old and 10 month daughter,just the thought of not being here for my kids scared the living daylights out of me,apart from putting on weight(which i will lose)the only time i want a ciggie is when i have a drink,so now i dont drink.I feel so much better,please please keep it up,dont give in,
I gave it the cold turkey, easy. One of those will power concepts that a shrink (or a philosopher) keep ranting on about.

Maybe you can find a replacement like chocolate or sweets for whenever you get the inkling.

And stay away from those nicotine patches!!
Try not to think of it as a battle more of a triumph every day is one less nail in your coffin I found raw carrot sticks and oranges a help. Whenever a craving strikes take five deep breaths and say -I don-t smoke thank you- after each breath. Bankrupt the killers.
Put yourself in the best environment to quit smoking. Don-t be around smokers at all. Throw your ashtrays and lighters away. Buy gum. Change your routines. Don-t drink any alcohol. Nicotine patches only reinforce your addiction to nicotine. ... Actually, the addiction to nicotine fades. What-s really hard to deal with and perhaps never goes away is the psychological addiciton. I used to smoke, and whenever I get tired or have a beer, I immediately start thinking of smoking. Don-t ever give in. I always made myself very afraid of smoking, thinking about how it would make me die slowly. The longer you go without smoking -- after a week or so, that is -- the easier it gets. Take some time off work if you can, and read a lot. Preoccupy yourself with not smoking. Exercise is absolutely wonderful on the body and mind during the attempts to quit smoking. There is also a prescription medication I heard of that is supposed to work well, but you can probably do it without that if you really, truly desire to stop smoking.
No, you see I have never smoked. I wish you best of luck and hope you successfully quit! Your hubby should give you lots of support and love!
I have heard that giving up cigarettes is the singlemost difficult addiction to conquer: worse than any street or prescription drung around. I have been a smoker all my life and have managed to quit (way earlier when I was younger) before for about a year each time. The biggest factor is Desire. Be sure you really want to give them up and then the rest is sort of easy! There are lots of methods available to assist you. Good luck!
If your husband stopped while you are still smoking he must have gone through hell. At least you don-t have the problem of stopping while there are cigarettes in the house, so it must be easier for you.

Quitting smoking is a great opportunity to learn about ourselves, as you have already observed.
Congratulate yourself on having the desire to stop - then you are over the worst, but still need to maintain your resolve. It-s just so easy to start thinking that just one won-t hurt, but it does. Just one achieves nothing except feeling the need for another. Whatever you do, don-t have just one. Beware - alcohol will weaken your resolve.
Here-s a few home-brewed tips that might be useful.
It-s not just nicotine addiction - there are 50+ chemicals in cigarettes. Also the main problem is habit.
We have been used to having body sensations which we translate as -my body needs something-, which we have attempted to satisfy by having a cigarette.
When we try to stop smoking, we still get these -my body needs something- sensations, and we still feel that we want a cigarette. We have to train our body to be more selective. When we feel we need something, we have to work out what it is that we actually need.
A glass of water is an excellent substitute if nothing else comes to mind, as it helps with the clearance of the toxic substances in our body. Another good substitute is a bag of salted peanuts, used in combination with the water.
Another thing to do is to find an activity which occupies the mind or body. Go swimming - nobody wants to smoke while they are swimming. Slowly, as our body adjusts and translates the -want something- feelings into something other than cigarettes, then the feelings begin to go away. We know its not a cigarette that the body really needs, because as soon as we-ve had one we still have the feeling, and want another!
We will have a few bouts of feeling or even being short tempered. We must try to bite our lip, and control; ourselves. Recognise the short temper as being the removal of toxins which are trying to find a way out. They went in through the mouth, and they try to get out that way to. We must learn to keep our mouth closed, and force the toxins out the other way.

After we have stopped for a while we will begin to feel that just one wont to any harm.
All that leads to is a desire for just another one. We must guard very strongly against the desire to have just one.
I have not smoked for 18 months and it is the best thing I have ever done. I read Allan Carrs Easy Way to Quit Smoking and just as long as you really want to quit and keep an open it will work for you too. P.S - it is soooo worth it, good luck.
Were there is a will there is a way!!!!!!! Its not food, its not pills!!!! All it is: THE MIND! Your decision! Go and make a list way you want to quit. Do your really want to? Because if you really really want to, you will!!!!! I-ve done it without substitutes, I’ve just said I’m a lady and it makes me feel bad and it makes me stink and I don’t want to smoke anymore and just there and then I stopped smoking. In the, morning when you wakeup, just say to yourself I wont smoke today! It’s all in your head! When you fail to stop yourself, don’t give up, just try again and again and you will succeed! One thing that will make you stronger is exercise! Fitness! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU WILL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!… GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tried e.thing available and it didnt work but will power did k have put on a stone but i-ll soon loose it i-m sure. chud and boiled sweets was all i needed and the math sums pinned up e.where of how much i used to spend it aint easy mind but all the best x
tic tacs,nic gum,regular gum,sugarless gum,Put all the money you use to spend on smokes in a jar-The cravings fade and the money piles up. Worked for me.
Read this:

Allen Carr-s Easy Way for Women to stop smoking

I-m reading it right now, it-s been a success with a few of my friends so I-m giving it a try, apparantly no will power is required, he undoes the brainwashing. Give it a try, nothing to lose!

I bought my copy from amazon.
I stopped before, and I-m ready to stop again. These comments have all really helped. Am off to look for a Smoking Cessation Category...
nope,
father told me, never quit what your good at! so i aint
Anyone battling to quit smoking? -