Helping My Parent Quit Smoking HELP PLEASE? -

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Helping My Parent Quit Smoking HELP PLEASE? -


My mom has been smoking for quite a while now and I wanted to know ways I could encourage my mom to stop smoking... I really cant go up to her and ask her to stop smoking... its kinda hard for me so what are some ways I can do it without getting her mad
Tough one. You can-t make anyone else do anything - they-ll only quit when they are ready. As kids, we tried for years to get my parents to quit smoking and nothing worked. I hope at least that yours don-t smoke in the house or the car with you. Now, as an adult I have chronic bronchitis and asthma due to their second-hand smoke.

Print out photos of diseased lungs and hang them all over the house. If you can-t talk to them, leave brochures around on the dangers of second-hand smoke.

Leave the room every time they are about to light up. Try saying, -I-m sorry, but I love you and I won-t watch you kill yourself.-

These are some very good websites. Good luck!
I love this question, and I-ll tell you why.

There are several new medicines available through your doctor (prescription only) that have been made to help people quit smoking.

They actually remove the nicotine withdrawal effects, so quitting smoking becomes drastically easier, as once you take the medicine, the desire to have that next cigarette just goes away.

Do some research on this subject, talk to a doctor at a walk-in-clinic, or talk to your family doctor. If you-re young, ask your neighbour or use the yellow pages to find where a walk in clinic near you is.
I think the best way to assist someone in -quitting- is to NOT nag them. By telling your mother she needs to quit, she will get more stressed out and smoke more, or even -secretly smoke,- which isn-t going to help her. One of the best ways to quit smoking is to be preoccupied with something else. Is there something you and your mom can do together that will make it impossible for her to smoke, and maybe even forget about smoking for a period of time? This will help with cutting down on the physical dependence. Try maybe exerise together, or joining a book club that doesn-t allow smoking, etc. It is hard, but if she can put her mind off of smoking for short bits at a time, it will become easier for her to cut down and quit in the end.

Good luck!
Tell her you-re concerned for her, and ask her if she-s considered quitting smoking for good. If she says yes, ask her what you can do to help her. Ultimately, she has to want to quit for herself, or she won-t be successful.

My friend-s mom had a heart attack (directly related to smoking) and when she got home from the hospital her house had been cleaned top to bottom, walls scrubbed, ashtrays tossed, curtains and windows washed, carpets vacuumed and shampooed...everything you can think of to remove the smell, discoloration, and remiders of cigarettes. Maybe you and your mom could do this together and she can see a doctor to help her control her cravings for cigarettes and break her habit for good.
Really? You can-t ask her? Not that it would really get her to stop smoking, immediately, but most people would see that as a sign of real affection ... like you-re worried about her health.

I can-t think of any real subtle ways to do this. I guess the best thing I could think of is to ask someone from a non-profit health organization to drop a visit to her ... to hand in some pamphlets. She might suspect it was you who prompted them, but as long as you don-t give it away, she won-t really know. (Obviously, if you get non-smoking literature yourself, she-ll suspect you-re the one who planted it there.)

Very good luck!
Tell your mom how much you love her and want her to be around for a long time to come. Remind her of the dangers of cigarettes as I am sure you are well aware. Ask her if she would please try to stop smoking as it is not good for her health nor anyone else in the family to breathe second hand smoke. Tell her smoking makes everyone`s hair and clothes smell funny as well as your home. Keep trying and maybe mom will finally get the message.
My son asked me if I would stop smoking around him. I thought I could do that. Then he started giving me -the look- if he thought I was going out for a smoke. He told me that he didn-t like how tobacco smelled and that he smelled smoke and he wished that I would stop.

It didn-t happen over night, I cut back until I just had one a day, but he continued to tell me he loved me and didn-t want me to get cancer or lung disease. Honestly, one a day, was the hardest to let go, but I did it. Three years this July. That-s after 30 years of smoking. I replaced some of the cravings with water, some with chocolate. Some with fresh air. Some with a good book.

Good luck. Nicotine and all the other chemicals are very addictive mentally and physically.
Go up and talk to her. That-s the only way. Tell her EXACTLY how you feel and why you want her to quit/afraid of what will happen to her. Honesty is what will make her quit.

Don-t be scared about her getting angry.
Her getting angry is just being ignorant about your thoughts and having never heard them before.
My nefuw told his mom she must not love him enuff to quit to see him grow up and have children she quit a month after
She has to want to quit. Don-t nag her, that only makes it worse.
give them advice and some required love x3
Helping My Parent Quit Smoking HELP PLEASE? -