Have you ever tried to quit smoking? What works? -

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Have you ever tried to quit smoking? What works? -


Are you a success story or have you failed miserably?
Don-t smoke. Successful people use a variety of methods, but just refuse to ever light up again. Good luck.
it-s true, just stopping cold and finding the willpower to not do it is the most effective way. NEJM published a study a few months back on smoking cessation, while it had many more frequent relapses during the time they were trying to quit, people who stopped cold turkey were FAR more successful over a 10 year period than people who used gums, patches, other little tricks
Yes. Quitting cold turkey is best. Plus the support of a loving wife.
Getting admitted to the hospital with a diagnosis of terminal lung cancer seems to do the trick.
Failed miserably, several times. Hope you have more success.
I can-t remember who said it, but one of my favorite quotes is about smoking. -Quitting-s easy - I-ve done it a thousand times-.

Quitting permenantly is another story. I am a smoker. I don-t want to quit, but wish I wanted to quit. This is what I am doing in the mean time...
I don-t have the ultimate desire to quit, but want to be healthier so I-ve done a few things to help a bit.

1. I excercise more. Some studies say that those who smoke and excercise regularly are healthier than those who don-t smoke or excercise at all.
2. I take breaks from smoking. I know smoking is effecting my health when I become really tired for 3 or more days for no reason, my sinuses/allergies are acting up more than usual or I have a lot of trouble sleeping. I then take about three days off from smoking and feel better.
3. I drink a lot of water. This curves appetite as well as cigarrette cravings.
4. Keep busy as much as possible. When the mind is off of cigarrettes, the desire is gone. I don-t know about you, but the no smoking adds on television and on billboards everywhere are the worst things for me. They just remind me of the fact that I smoke and trigger the need.

Not sure if this is anywhere near Dr. recommended, but it may help a bit until you are completely ready and determined to quit - if that-s where you are at this time
Yes I did quit successfully.
What did it for me was when I was hiking in a beautiful area up a hill and I was coughing out every cigarette I had smoked the day before. It was awful. I could barely breath although I was pretty young and otherwise in a good shape. But my lungs were really in a bad condition and were fighting with every breath while I continued to hike up the hill.
I realized how damaging smoking was in this moment. And it was this moment which I will never forget where I gave myself an oath to never ever smoke a cigarette again.

This worked.

Quit to zero. And due to this experience after this just the thought of smoking a cigarette was like a nightmare.

Kinda strange and a way of self hypnosis or so. Not sure what happened to my mind up this hill that day.

Good luck!
I fell pregnant and went cold turkey... Before that I had tried EVERYTHING! Really from experience cold turkey is the way to go! Good luck and be strong!
well dude...!!! i am a living proof of success...here-s what i did. me a heavy smoker..it aint easy tryin- to quit as need moral support and also a lot of will power too and also i had done some counsellin- which came in handy..i know at first that this wood be a tough time to adjust and try to stop smokin- but this couldnt be done in a day, besides its impossible to stop all at once and needs to be done slowly and gradually step by step. try reducin- the number of cigars per month, then per 2 weeks, then per week, then finally per day, nicotine patch shouldn-t hurt and try doin- other useful and interestin- things whenever the urge to smoke comes. give yerself a pat or treat in a good and useful manner for not smokin-..i certainly know that its very difficult at first and second times, but eventually it takes a lotta time, practise and most important patience...believe me it eventually will succeed and take it from someone who had gone thru the experience and came out finally for quit smokin-...just dont give up hope and find ways to help out as its better to be safe than sorry...thats my story and suggestion/advice...and it worked for me, why not for you....lots of luck, dude!!!
Anything other than cold turkey is a myth.
Have you ever tried to quit smoking? What works? -