How do you quit smoking cigarettes? -

Thursday, May 19, 2005

How do you quit smoking cigarettes? -


What did you do to help with the cravings of quitting smoking?
Hi Kristina R ..

well actually i am going to answer the second question first.. first of all cravings, are a natural part of quitting.. they are simply, the body-s response to detoxing.. although they are unpleasant, they can be managed.. if you smoke, you simply postpone the craving..

people involved in support groups use a technique we call the 5D-s to deal with cravings..

1 distract (do something else) for instance its hard to smoke when your washing dishes..

2 delay..(i don-t need one now maybe later).. continuing to delay is a quit!!

3 discuss.. we call each other, or post to the internet (like you just did)

4 drink water.. it flushes the body and stops cravings..

5 deep breathe.. many smokers only deep breathe when taking a deep drag.. deep breathing is a classic relaxation technique

you may have noticed i mentioned a support group.. they have been very helpful in my quitting, as well as instrumental in keeping my my quit.. after a number of attempts, on my own, both cold turkey, and with various aids, the one thing that worked was the group..

I attend Nicotine Anonymous meetings, both locally, and on line.. on line meetings are as close as your computer, and your welcome to attend before actually attempting a quit..

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
I recommend cutting down gradually until your quit date. I did this. I cut down to half a pack. I did this for three months. I smoked by the puff, not by the cigarette. I took only the amount of nicotine that was necessary to satisfy my urge to smoke and put the rest of the cigarette out.

After doing this for three months I quit cold turkey.

Now I-m eating more candy to distract me but its been 8 months. I have urges but they don-t last more than a second or two. If they-re lasting more than that then you-re concentrating on the cigarette. Don-t do it. Concentrate on something else.
Smoke marijuana and throw away all your cigs. Smoke M.J. for a couple weeks and you shouldn-t have to worry about cigs anymore. M.J. isn-t addictive so you can end that when you-d like.
Sunflower seeds helped my mom quit.
i wish i could help you, its a hard think i will be praying for you and good luck!
How do you quit smoking cigarettes? -