Is it normal to feel this sick after quitting smoking? -

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Is it normal to feel this sick after quitting smoking? -


Hi, I just quit smoking cold-turkey about 8 days ago. About 5 days into it I started to get an itchy throat and by the 7th day I was hacking up both my lungs along with a lot of phlegm. I have cold like symptoms such as a stuffed up nose. I-ve quit twice before but I-ve never gotten this sick before. I-m just wondering if it-s normal.
Yes. Your body is creating more mucous as it heals itself (the lungs) from the tar created by smoking. After a couple weeks it will go away. You may still have more mucous, but it will continue to get better.
Coughing up phlegm is normal, as is a sore throat. Both your lungs and throat are relining themselves with cilia, which you have removed by smoking. In the meantime, as a backup, your lungs have been overproducing macrophages to remove dust and other particles. This overreaction and inflammatory response is what causes COPD, i.e. progressive lung disease and failure. Hopefully, your overproduction of phlegm is not a sign that this process is already well underway.
yepp, its normal, all that coughing is you lungs loosening, and kiccking back the crap that gets put in there from the smoke. disgusting as it is, carry around like a soda bottle or something to spit it into, you cant just swallow it. dont worry, it doenst last long, and afterwards, you-ll feel much better.
good luck with your new life-style =]
Getting sick after quitting smoking is totally normal. Your lungs are just not used to it. It should stop after a month or two.
I don-t know, put a nicotine patch on, it you still have the same symptoms, then I guess you have a cold!
completely normal. You-re cleaning out all that crud that-s been trapped in there for so long. best of luck, stay strong. It-s unbelievably hard but possible! I quit 16 days ago.
Oh yeah I was sick for 2 weeks when I first quit.
You have a cold try drinking cold medicines
Yes! its the bodys way of self cleansing i guess, ironic how a good thing can feel so horrible!

I felt like I was dying for the first couple of weeks as well..
your answer is in my sources
Is it normal to feel this sick after quitting smoking? -