How long after trying to quit smoking does it get easier It has been 5 days? -

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

How long after trying to quit smoking does it get easier It has been 5 days? -


I found the patches and gum makes it harder in the longrun any other suggestions.
nicotine is trying to control you to take away that which you love, LIFE , I use to picture cigarettes like a prison ball and chain b/c that what I was, chained to them; chained to making someone else rich, the cigarette company, the government for taxes, the doctors, hospitals and xray techs; think of it as a pardon for freedom , freedom to spend your money as you choose, freedom to not have to smoke butts out of an ashtray if you are low; freedom not to have to make a detour to buy them; freedom not to have to leave a function or party to stand outside and smoke them; they are controlling you and your life and your actions; freedom feels much better; I quit 21 years ago - YOU CAN DO THIS : DON-T GIVE IN ; the people who manufacture them aren-t smoking them ; they have your money, your life, your time etc; Stay strong and then treat yourself to a gift with all the money that you are saving!!!! not to mention your life, someday you may need those extra minutes , save for a rainy day; you can kick this ! you have too!!!
It does get easier the longer you go.
You don-t NEED a smoke now you just want one.
Good luck.
Since quitting is such an individual experience, it will be hard for any of us to give you the right answer, but we can share our experiences.

I made a promise to my young daughter on Valentines Day in 1997 that I would quit smoking that year. She was thrilled and waited patiently. On August 4, that year, I woke up and had one cigarette left in my pack. I looked at it and decided, -today-!

I waited to smoke that cigarette until I had time in my day to really basque in it. I started a mission that morning to de-smoke my house. All ashtrays were gone, linens washed, carpets cleaned... total spring cleaning to the nth degree. I didn-t want to smell another cigarette. I bought plug in airfresheners, sometimes two in a room. I started a project to wash or have dry cleaned every piece of clothes in the house. The only thing I couldn-t desmoke was my ex-husband, who to this day, is still a smoker. I took a break around 3 that afternoon and savored my last cigarette, but I really didn-t enjoy it. I created such a distaste for it in my mind, that it was nearly impossible. After that, I showered and put on fresh clothes.

Every day for two weeks, around mid afternoon, 3:00, which ironically enough was when my ex would come home, I would crave a cigarette. Instead of fighting it, I would succumb to smoke one of my ex-s cigarettes, which I had always hated the taste of. As the days went by, I would smoke less and less of that cigarette, finally just lighting it and handing it to him, after about two weeks. During that two weeks, I continued my mission to desmoke my house and car and asked my ex to honor his daughter and I by not smoking in the house. Of course, we both would have preferred that he quit, but it wasn-t in the cards.

I had smoked for 16 years. Everyone is different and your experience will be tough... but honor yourself, and hang in there! It is soooo worth it!
be a lot longer than 5 days but its worth it, good luck
when u start to feel healthier u will not crave the cigs anymore, u done great so far, keep it goin
It don-t get easier. The longest I ever made it was 6 weeks.
I used suckers, and hard candy.
5 days is a good start. You should be pretty well over the hump now. I think doctors are prescribing an anti-depressant, Wellbutrin for smokers, as well. Check with your physician. Good luck.
I found that it took about 10/14 days before the cravings ceased. You have to will yourself to want to give them up. Those patches are a waste of money. Use your will power.
How long after trying to quit smoking does it get easier It has been 5 days? -