Any advice on how to quit smoking? -

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Any advice on how to quit smoking? -


I want to quit smoking but so far I have failed many times. I have tried the patch, which makes me break out, the gum, which did nothing at all and cold turkey which drove me crazy.
So I could use some advice.
Thanks!
wow Kathleen..

you sound like me, but i figure your not as old.. i smoked for over 40 years.. and tried virtually evey way to quit.. cold turkey, medications, and all the nicotine replacement products.. and always ended up picking up!!

the good news is that i now have over 5 years nicotine free.. i am sure , to my involvement in a support group.. i found out that i was not alone in my experience, and folks with a worse track record had in fact kicked the habit.. the fellowship of a group of people who had already overcome the addiction, as well as folks i could -quit buddy- with other new comers, was a liberating experience..

i attend nicotine anonymous meetings both locally and on the internet.. meetings are available in many areas, as well as voice meetings available on your computer.. you are welcome meetings smoking or not!!.. good luck on your quit!!! in the end there is nor wrong way to quit...

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
I to have tried everything, but Cold turkey is best. First make sure your ready to quit, then remove all ash trays from your house. Stay out of bars, and no heavy drinking at home. lastly understand that smoking is a reward thing. You do good you smoke. Had a bad day you smoke. Feel good about yourself you smoke. You must replace your reward, and you must find a new habit that you can do all the time. Myself I used this method and it worked I used puzzles and I started jogging. At first the puzzles drove me nuts and the jogging sucked, but after a while about a month I got better at both and really started to look forward to my puzzles and jogging they became my new high and I loved it. Now for the honesty part I went 6 months doing this then my lover left me after 3 years and I fell apart and started smoking again. As soon as I-m ready I will try it again. The method works it was me that failed. Good luck let me now if it works for you as well as it did for me.
As an Ex smoker who has quit in the past year. I recommend just quit... I woke up one morning and told myself that I was not a smoker. I think the trick (if you can call it that) for me was not that I was quitting smoking but that I was a NON smoker. IE: I did not quit I just don-t smoke. The thing is YOU have to be ready to quit. You cannot quit for someone else it has to be for you. If you are not 100% committed to not smoking nothing you do will -make- you quit.
Well as an ex-smoker herewith all the advice:

You must really WANT to give up. Attune your mind to it and simply go cold turkey.

It takes a week before you stop thinking about it - and about 28 days to break the habit completely

Don-t buy any and then you won-t be tempted.

Change your habits - when do you tend to smoke - ie at night when you-re having a drink? then change this

Patches
Gum
Acupuncture
Substitute it with a ANOTHER habit - go out jogging
Visit the respiratory hospital ward - it-s scary

BE STRONG!!
If you’re trying to beat your smoking habit on your own, you may be struggling with the right method which will work for you. Smoking dried herbs can be an ingenious way to relieve nicotine withdrawal symptoms as well as wean a smoker off of cigarettes. Herbs can be smoked just like cigarettes. One must be extremely careful when dabbling in the world of smoking herbs, however, there are many herbs which are harmless and can be smoked not only to replace the tobacco cigarette habit, but also to help clear the lungs and body of the affects of cigarettes.
Yes, you shouldn-t have started in the first place.

Use a basic psychology learning technique. It involves you recieving an unpleasant stimulus whenever you pick up a cigarette. You be the person who decides what the stimulus is.

I don-t know how well this method works when the person inflicts the stimulus upon themselves, but it makes sense. Also, you need the will to inflict this kind of stimulus upon yourself.

You could try hypno-therapy; I personally don-t trust hypno-therapists.
first put the cancer stick down
Try chewing some gum everytime you have the urge to smoke. And be sure to drink water it will take some of the tempting taste out of your mouth. when ever you see someone smoking just turn away. my granpa use to smoke but he tried to chew gum and it works now he chews double mint everyday i think he-s addicted now.
I heard of a new drug you can get a perscription for. its called chantix, but i heard there are a lot of side effects. talk to your doctor about it. I know some people who have tried it and it has work wonders for them. GOOD LUCK!!!
Check out this site -
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/quit_smo…

Perhaps you can find some useful information in
http://www.quitnow.info.au
.
you shouldn-t have started is my advice. But would you have listened to me before you started. No. So why should I help you now?
Self-control, self-discipline and perseverance to quit smoking. No method, not gonna cost you a dime. Start right now.. Can you do that?.. I doubt!
Any advice on how to quit smoking? -