I need to quit smoking...anyone have the most effective way to do this? -

Friday, October 10, 2008

I need to quit smoking...anyone have the most effective way to do this? -


i have a 3 yr old daughter and i would like to live to see her grow up. as much as my thoughts tell me that i HAVE to quit, i can-t seem to do it. Any suggestions.....HELP!
This is from Stephen King-s, Quitters Inc.

You pay these mob-type guys to moniter you secretly. If you smoke once, they hurt someone in your family. If you smoke a second time, they kill someone in your family. The third time they kill you. It-s guaranteed to work or your money back.
I have never smoked by I saw an ad on TV the other day for a free trial of one of three brands of nicotine support tablets/patches. It was part of a government effort to help people.

I would suggest you call your local health department. They may have smoking programs or medicine you can access for free. I have heard that it is easier to quit if you have a support group of friends or other smokers to help and encourage you. I would also try to exercise to prevent weight gain, which may occur when you quit.

You are taking the first step. Congratulations.

Here-s a list of stop smoking clinics in the US
http://www.stopsmokingamerica.com/locati…

The Nicatrol Inhaler is the best in my point of view. I tried the patch it helped a little but it made my skin raw as I have sensitive skin. I tried the gun (nasty) When my Dr. put me on the quit smoking pill I was allergic to it. My Dr. then prescribed the inhaler. It was great! You put these little nicotine cartridge-s into the mouth piece, You draw into your lungs and hold like you are smoking. One of the hardest parts of quiting smoking is the hand to mouth thing.I reduced slowly the amount of nicotine I put into the mouth piece.After I was free from nicotine altogether I kept an empty mouth piece to mimic smoking. One of the hardest parts of giving up smoking is the hand to mouth routine we become used to.You know like with coffee in the morning, when the phone rings, putting on your make-up.Playing cards, after meals. You can even use these in non-smoking restaurants! I smoked for 32 years and I didn-t think I could ever quit smoking. I have been smoke free sense July 9TH 2000! I still grave a cigarette every once in a while but the desire soon passes..You will always need will power. There is no 100% take away the desire way to quit smoking.Good luck I know you can do it if you have really made up your mind to quit.Welcome to the non-smokers club.
The only thing that worked for me was will power. i had tried to quit hundreds of times before but it never worked because i never really wanted to. it-s really hard to stay focussed but every time i felt like a ciggerette i tried to picture something really horrible, like being in hospital with cancer, or being told i could never have children because i smoked. it might sound extreme but i-v not had a cig now for a year, so just stay strong and you-ll get there.
U have to strengthen ur determination.
Try chewing gum.
But the thing that will help would be only ur determination.
Best of luck
I quit smoking almost 5 years ago....I just quit cold turkey. It wasn-t as hard as I thought would be once I got past the first week. You have to really want to quit, otherwise it will not work. You cannot be quitting for someone else, YOU have to do it for YOU. I ate a lot of mints...whenever I wanted a ciggy, I ate a mint...gave my mouth something else to do. A friend of mine who quit would go walk whenever he wanted a ciggy. He stayed in better shape than I did. I gained some weight, but figured that weighing a little more was better than smoking. My husband quit smoking as well...cold turkey is the only way that worked for him. He tried the nicotine patch and the nicotine gum, but those are addictive as well...works for some people, but not many.
I started smoking for a very stupid reason. when i was in college some guy was smoking next to me. Stupid me thought i would try one and that would be that. Boy was i wrong. i came home for Christmas and my dad warned me that i would get addicted. I just did not listen. I have smoked on and off for the past 9 years. My doc gave me a new drug called chantix. you keep smoking while you take the first pack of of the drug (i think its 10 days) and than you stop smoking, but keep taking the pills until you are ready to stop. My advice for those who smoke or are thinking about it. DONT even have one cig.. once you do you are hooked and for those who already do smoke. STOP. i know its easier said than done, but you will feel better, you will smell better and most of all..you will live lot longer.
Try cutting back slowly. Arrange certain times of the day you can smoke. If you have urges throughout the -non-smoking time- use your will power. Gradually cut back on the smokes you do have during your -smoking times-. Before you know it you will be smoking very little and quitting will be much easier. Good luck.
There was a best selling book in the UK and some celebrities swear by it on talk shows. I believe it-s called Stop Smoking Forever or something like that.
straight to the point........if you don-t want :
*.your daughter to grow up without a mom
*.to witness emphysema or some other type of horrible condition
*.cancer
*.or even a horrible death of her mother
then you will quit! There is no reason to continue...but there sure are many reasons why you should quit.
(my mother in law died from smoking and it was horrible! I not only seen what she went through, but what the family endured...it was nothing more than needless suffering..(I also witnessed her death and you don-t want that!) ...think about it Nikki you owe it to yourself and to your baby girl....when you do quit it-s all or nothing...cold turkey and lots of tylenol for the headaches (my husband quit after he seen his mom...it was hard but he knew the alternative)
I recently quit using Chantix and would recommend it for everyone. I will never go back to smoking. Its great your thinking about child too because she is getting lung disease the same as you are only involuntarily. I wish you alot of luck with this. I wish i would-ve have quit when my kids were little. I caused them asthma from my smoking! Please do it for her if not for yourself!! Good Luck!!!
Willpower.

What you have to do, is decide to NOT smoke another cigarette today.

If and When you slip, decide to NOT smoke another cigarette today. Continue telling yourself this until you go to sleep

The next morning do it again. Each time you slip, Tell yourself that you will not have another cigarette today.

Eventually, you will make it through an entire day without smoking. Congratulations!

Now do it again.

Then do it again.

Keep doing it; every day when you wake up, tell yourself that you will not smoke today.

You will have slip-ups, but then the cigarette will taste like crap! Just keep repeating the pattern of self control.

I have been sucessfully telling myself this since 1989. Before that, I smoked for almost 20 years.

Good Luck.
I need to quit smoking...anyone have the most effective way to do this? -