What is cold turkey and any tips to quit SMOKING? -

Monday, February 25, 2019

What is cold turkey and any tips to quit SMOKING? -


I have heard this -cold turkey- wen I was looking for ideas on how to quit smoking.
What is cold turkey? And any suggestions for me to quit smoking please? I prefer suggestions that do not involve nicotine gums or patches or any such tertiary stuff.

I have been smoking for 8yrs now. I smoke 8-10 cigarettes a day. It used to be 10-15 wen I worked night shifts.

I even tried to quit totally once and I went into depression. But then, I had no job either and that was nagging me. But now I have a good job and still can not quit smoking. Everytime I try to reduce, I miraculously meet smoker frnz and start smoking.

But 1 thing is for sure-

I WANT TO QUIT SMOKING.

HELP!!
I did not start smoking until my mid 30-s. Stupid, right? I had all the reasons to smoke, if you call extreme stress among those. I also had so many wonderful reasons NOT to smoke. 4 of those were my children who were looking at me like I was dropped from an foreign planet. Those 8 piercing eyes resulted just a few years later into 6 eyes belonged to young developing bodies and young adults that decided they were going to also pick up this nasty habit. In other words, 3 of my 4 children became smokers.
I decided that New Years Day I was going to smoke what cigarettes I had and not buy anymore for myself. So far so good--a little over 8 months have gone by. My reasons to stop:
1. Money--I have saved an estimated $623 in purchasing to these cancer by-products alone. I could count more if you count that when stopping at the local fast food store, I usually spent more than just money for cigarettes.
2. My health and concerns for a better life to breathe deeply and walk at the same time without being out of breath.
3. My children. Now out of those 3 children of mine that chose to pick up the habit, I am on them constantly to stop NOW and 2 are in their first week of trying to eliminate the habit as well.
4. Who has the brains to stop, you? Or do you allow the cigarette to rule your mind and you end up giving in to a stupid piece of rolled up paper with chemicals that have been proven over and over again to cause health problems.
5. Additional costs, insurance premiums are higher for a smoker-this includes health and life insurance.
6. Smokers smell. I know, hubby is still a smoker and I end up ticking him off by asking him to move to other side of room, not smoke in bedroom while I-m there, etc. all to avoid smelling the fumes. If you think you can just spray air neurtralizer, you are wrong. That smell is deep within your furniture, your clothes in your closest--everywhere. I read on a website one time, that it would be best if you were a smoker and had a job interview to put your dry-cleaned interview attire in a large zip-lock bag and put them on right before your interview and to at least refrain from smoking while driving to your interview. There is this aura of doom that is invisible to you that you can not see that others smell as being weak.
7. I quit to be around longer so I could be a grandmother to more than just the 1 grandchild that I currently have.
I hope these reasons sink in and do not appear to be preaching. You need to quit for yourself. Besides friends who you used to hang around with and know you are trying to quit, are not really your friends if they light up in front of you. Respect is what they should give you. Respect is what you should give yourself as well.
Good Luck.
perleo
Cold turkey is when you decide to quit smoking, unassisted and with no replacement vises. This usually can only happen when you truly desire to quit smoking. The fact of the matter is most smokers must cut down first in order to quit, and taper off smoking until they no longer desire to smoke. I reccommend that you start cutting down(which is what im doing myself) and notice that you don-t want a ciggerette as much as you think you do, alot of it is habitual, and alot of it is physical addiction, mentally you may be very ready to quit, but don-t underestimate the sway your body can have over your mind. I recommend you cut down, and start chewing gum, that helps with the oral fixation, and is a better vice than many others. Bottom line is if you want to quit smoking, you will.
Quitting cold turkey basically means that you quit smoking. Period. No half measures, no cutting down your daily no. of smokes. You just stop.

It is the hardest yet most effective way. If you feel that you can-t hang around ur smoker freinds without lighting up yourself then you ought to stop meeting them till you-ve been smoke-free for a couple of weeks.

The most effective tool in quitting is will-power. Just put your mind to it and think of all the positives of quitting smoking and all the negatives of continuing to smoke.

Good luck
There are so many sources and helpful books on how to quit smoking and different methods out there that it can get quite confusing. I was a smoker for over 5 years, at my peak I was smoking 10 cigarettes a day. I took it slowly, reducing my intake finally to one a day over the next 2 years. Then I got the flu one week and pretty much felt horrible so i didnt smoke, and I haven-t touched it since.

In brief taking gradually reducing my intake worked for me. Cold turkey would be cutting it off completely and relying on your will power to help you through the cravings.
Cold Turkey is when you just throw away all your cigarettes and stop smoking. This is the most difficult way as you are stopping without any physical help.

My family member, who smoked for 50 years, decided to stop and had the same problems you describe for yourself. He decided he wanted a new car and the money he paid for cigarettes would go towards that dream. He stopped smoking -cold turkey- and used the money he paid for cigarettes to achieve that dream.

Today, he is healthier and happier. Every time you reach for a cigarette, think of your dream. It could be a vacation, car a new wardrobe or something else.

Good luck!
Cold turkey is the Opposite of reducing or cutting back gradually. Cold turkey mean you give them up in one shot...

And by the way, it is the ONLY way to quit.

If you want to seriously quit, Pick a thursday evening. Day 1 you will be working...withdrawal wont be too bad..day two might be a day off..withdrawals will be tough...day 3 you will be in friggin agony..and will want to die...YOU NEED TO TOUGH it out and SUFFER!!! but at least its a Sunday and you might not be stressed at work...Day 4...monday..you-re starting to feel like HEY, I can do this..

Don-t worry, its just a few more days.after that...then you will be freeeeeee!!!!

After about the 7-8 day you are pretty much past the real addiction...Now its all breaking the habit.....

forget about this miraculously you start smoking again...you mean stupidly you start smoking again!!!!!

You will be constantly eating, so make sure you-re taking healthy snacks to work...do not start eating a lot of junk food and gain 50 pounds!!! Because you will, guaranteed.


You wont be able to have even a puff after this, EVER. If you do, you will be instantly addicted again!!! That much I Promise.

Do Not use the gum or anything else!!!! Tough it out, you will make it!!!!

Forget this garbage about making a deal with your friends that if you ask they will say no..as another person suggested..They will gladly give you cigarrettes!!! There is no way any smoker is truely happy to see someone quit...they happily will sabotage your efforts..
YOU QUIT...you don;t ask people for cigarettes!!!!

You are going to have to do better than TRY to quit. You have to QUIT!!!!! If you TRY to quit, you won-t make it. I TRIED to quit about 100 times!!!

Quitting is NOT about willpower. Quitting is about enduring pure hell for 2-3 days in return for a lifetime of freedom from this deadly addiction. The willpower comes later, when you don-t need a cigarette, but foolishly have 1 when you are out drinking!!!!! That-s when willpower comes into play..to say no so you dont get sucked back into it!!!!
Cold turkey means just stopping all at once. I used nicotine gum - losenges and it worked for me when I felt the craving. The only problem was it was hard to stop chewing the gum and also it-s kind of expensive.
Cold turkey means just stopping with no aid like the gum or patches.
Try weaning yourself off it slowly (cutting back gradually) until you start going whole days without even one.

As for the depression, ask you doctor for a perscription to help with that. It is common to have emotional up and downs when trying to get rid of your addition (it is an addiction) and many people find it helps to take medication for it while they are going through the rough times.

Good luck!
I haven-t done it yet, but I want to quit too!!!!
cold turkey is stopping all at once, not stopping gradually
Cold Turkey is quitting smoking all at once. A great tip would be to not have any cigarettes or lighters available to you. You can-t be tempted to have one if you don-t have any. Also tell your smoker friends that you are trying to quit and if you ask them for a cigarette, that they do not give you one.

People usually smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes less each day until they reach none. Writing yourself a little note on why you want to quit, and having it with you is a good idea. It may help reinforce the idea. I hope this helps!
cold turkey is stopping smoking immediately and completely without any - weaning - yourself off.

your doctor can supply certain antidepressant medications that will help stop the cravings.
OK cold turkey is when you just quite with out any help form med-s and as for quiting smoking take it slow and you will get threw it ok take up a hobby when you quiting it will help

ps: quiting smoking is nuthing compared to quiting coke
Try a ahoo search for -how to quit smoking-.
Like everyone else here has said, Cold Turkey is just stopping....

And... The best way to quit smoking is... not to light up another one!
What is cold turkey and any tips to quit SMOKING? -