People who have quit smoking.....what worked for you? -

Saturday, June 15, 2019

People who have quit smoking.....what worked for you? -


I have only been smoking for 4 years or so (am currently age 35). My dad-s recent health issues have really given me even more incentive to quit. I tried quitting cold turkey and failed miserably! Would love to hear from anyone who has been successful in quitting smoking and find out what worked for you. (I have also tried the nicorette gum and it gives me the hiccups everytime I chew a piece, lol) Thanks in advance!
hi Sasha-s mommy..

there really is no wrong way to quit!!.. some work for some folks and not others, there are complications, etc..so if it at first you don-t succeed don-t give up... it took me several attempts before i was able to quit, using a number of different methods..

the thing that worked for me was participation in a support group.. i found the strength in numbers worked for what i couldn-t do alone.. i attend nicotine anonymous meetings, both locally and online.. you can find meetings locally in many areas, if none are available, there are a number of voice meetings daily online..

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
Please read the book by Allen Carr called the Easyweigh to quit smoking. You can check on Amazon at the reviews to make your decision. It has helped me so much and no cigs and no nicotine withdrawals. I-m free-thanks to going this way!


Report Abuse



Please do what this person says... I went this way for quitting and I never looked back. It-s very well explained, and it works to re-wire the brain-s association to nicotine so you don-t get cravings. Once that connection is made it-s THERE, so you won-t lose it... Like learning to walk.


Report Abuse



All you need is your will, plus a point marker. Point marker could be anything that makes it good to remember and brings you pleasure. For instance; buy yourself a new car as a gift for quitting. I was moving to California and decided to quit at the same time - I was chewing and smoking and I was smoking since I was 10 (I-m 40 y.o. now).
It though for the first week, second week is better but also tough up to a month. A whole next year will be reminding you of a cigarettes. It will be like you lost a good friend. So, good luck to you.
I have smoked since my freshman year in high school.. I-m currently a junior in college. The only thing I found effective is Cold Turkey. It-s really hard. But whenever I find myself wanting a cigarette really bad I do something else.. I-ve found myself wanting to eat when I want a cigarette but that-s not a good thing.. lol I don-t wanna get fat. You might try keeping mints or something like that in your purse and when you get that urge -pop a mint- =) Also another thing I did was I kept one cigarette.. For some reason I didn-t -freak out- about being out of smokes.. and I told myself if I started back I had to smoke that cigarette first, I-m sure it-ll be nasty!

Best of Luck!!
my husband tried acupuncture
there-s also hypnosis
you can-t just wean yourself off them, you have to totally quit.

My father got cancer of the jaw due to smoking, had his jaw cut away and replaced with bone from his lower arm - ugly then he died after 4 more years - he never quit smoking
HEROIN
Coconut oil has been helpful for some people trying to manage cravings. Don-t listen to the hype... yes coconut oil is a saturated fat but fat from natural sources really isn-t an enemy. That-s a whole different topic.

Coconut oil is one of the few sources of these short-chain fatty acids: lauric, capric and caprylic acid. The body uses these small molecules as energy, instead of storing them as fat. This actually encourages weight loss (longer chain fatty acids, like those in vegetable oils, go straight into fat stores). Also, lauric acid kills pathogenic bacterias and viruses. Rockin, right?

Among other things, coconut oil has also been used to help ease cravings. When you have a severe craving for a ciggie, try chugging some unrefined, virgin coconut oil, which will melt easily in a small amount of hot water.

You-ll want to start slow, especially if you-re not used to eating a lot of fat. Start with 1 teaspoon - work up to 1 tablespoon per craving. You probably want to max out at 3-4 tablespoons/day.

If you don-t want to chug the oil, coconut milk also works- buy the organic, original stuff (not -lite-), add some water and a tad of maple syrup/honey if you need to. With the following recipe from Bruce Fife-s book, you-d need to drink 1/2 cup to get the equivalent of 1 tablespoon of coconut oil:
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
7 oz water (1/2 the can)
2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
Pinch of salt

Good luck! :)
People who have quit smoking.....what worked for you? -