Cant quit smoking because of friend(s). What to do? -

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Cant quit smoking because of friend(s). What to do? -


My best friend smokes(tobacco) quite a bit as do I when we are out together. We are so attached to cigarettes and I think it-s because it-s really the only way we can relate to a complete stranger that smokes. I have tried herbal teas(kava kava, yerba, etc). I can-t tell him to not smoke around me nor can I truly get the message across to him.
Hard to just tell you what to do...I quit smoking about 3 years ago...cold turkey...i was just sitting around thinking and the thought popped in my mind -this might be the last pack of cigarettes i ever buy-...the more i thought about it and my future, i said ok fine...i quit...Now my buddies were still smoking, one day my bud says, -what you done quit smoking or something-, and i was like yup...i quit...about 2 weeks later he called me and was like man this is hard to do...i was like what is...he said quitting smoking...lol...he ended up quitting too...we both survived on sunflower seed for a long time!!

Its all in your mind...if your mind is not made up to quit, you will not quit!! Nothing will make you quit (gum, patch, tea) unless you and your mind are set to quit!! I quit a 1000 times before, but this time was different...i WANTED to quit, my mind was right....Dont wait on your friend if YOU are ready to quit...Once hes sees you are committed to quit, he may follow in your foot steps. Who knows...I still have some friends that smoke, and they have come to respect the facts that i quit...most of them (including my own father) will go outside to smoke...i dont ask them to do this...they just do it outta respect.

If you are ready...Go for it...Get your life back!!
I smoked for 25 years would quit here and there for a few months Smokes were always my addiction. I got up one morning put on a 1/2 of a patch used it for a week and the second week forgot too. I quit 11 years ago and my husband smokes but not in the house. My daughter smokes. So whatever way you are going to try Wellbutrin, Chantix don-t blame your friends for you smoking. You can do this if you have it mentally inside you are going to quit and mean it. You will be able to quit. Think about cancer, your clothes smell to non-smokers, There alot of things smoking can do to your body. You need to stop now.
I weaned myself off smokes a little at a time. For example the first day, I smoked every 30 minutes, next day every 40, next day every 50. Took me a couple weeks but I got to the point where I didn-t even remember it was time to smoke. Because I did it so slowly, I didn-t miss it and my friends could smoke around me. Also, it helps if you keep in your mind that you-re just not smoking today - forever sounds like the electric chair to a smoker. lol

Now, I-m think you go out an party with your friend a lot. You may have to cut that out for a while because drinking and smoking go hand in hand for smokers. Or if you are a regular a the bar, once you have started cutting back, give your smoke to the bartender and time yourself. Go ask for one every hour or something. It can be done and smoking less may not be as good as quitting but it-s a start and something to be proud of.
Sit down together and watch this video (Australian anti-smoking ad)...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blIBXToln…

It is very hard to quit when others are smoking around you. You have to limit your relationship with the people who smoke around you. Otherwise, it makes it so hard to do this. Also I tried a medication called Chantix which helped a lot in finally giving it up. Check into it. Lots of luck.
Try to get more information regarding some ways to stop smoking at my profile.
Maybe you should get new friends. If your smoker friends can-t abstain from smoking around you, maybe you should distance yourself.
I personally smoked for over 13 years, and I had tried all the different aids out there in the market. On all of them I was able to quit for a period of time, but then I found myself smoking again when going out with my friends.
I finally kicked the habit cold turkey. It took some change in my behavior, and I had the support of my friends who went to different places where smoking wasn-t allowed. By removing myself from the common places of smoking for two months I beat the psychological aspect of smoking...which I think, is why you continue to smoke around your friend.
Simply ask to do different things for a short time and with time you can get to the point where you may go to your old stomping grounds and not even feel the craving for smoking!
i have the same problem, and the only thing i ave found that sorta works is to try and cut out a cig here and there, like not smoking while driving a short dsitance, and cutting out the afternoon grit. when partying and goin out to bars the only thing that works for me is to only bring a like 5 cigs in one of those metal tin things, then i dont have that many to smoke and have to stretch out the time in between. I dunno, it works for me, you might wanna try it, but yeah smoking begets smoking so for the time being ya just have to make a concientious descision to cut a few out of your daily routine

good luck
If you-re able to stop smoking when you aren-t around them, the problem is more psychological than an actual physical addiction. Try chewing gum and keeping your hands busy. As far as depending on that as a way to relate to strangers, why not just try to be nice?
I was put on Wellbutrin XL and ended up quitting smoking before I even thought about it.

It is perscribed as an Antidepressant under Wellbutrin but it is perscribed under another name for Smoking Cessation.
(Some insurance companies cover Wellbutrin but not the other name or the other name but not Wellbutrin... So even though it is the same damn drug your doc needs to check with your insurance company to see which one it will cover)

You just stop craveing them as much as you do now.

I didn-t -Intend- to quit or even say the words -I-m going to quit-. After a few months on the medication I just found myself not thinking about smoking as much as I used to.

It takes away the URGE, not the chemical dependency, but you don-t notice the withdrawle symptoms like you would cold turkey because the URGE is 50% of the symptoms!

Dose that make sense?

If you want to quit without thinking about it give Wellbutrin XL a try. Just give it a MINIMUM of a month to kick in... Anything that happens in that first month will prob go away and is just a side effect of getting on the medication!!!

Good luck!
Get new friends!
YES you can tell him not to smoke around you - Call the cancer society 18002279954 gt some materials about smoking - the lung association the heart association and give them to him - ask him if he wants you to be his friend he will not smoke around you anymore

YOU CAN MAKE NEW FRIENDS BUT YOU CANNOT MAKE NEW LUNGS
Cant quit smoking because of friend(s). What to do? -