How do you quit smoking without any drugs? -

Friday, February 3, 2006

How do you quit smoking without any drugs? -


im trying to quit smoking but it doesnt seem to be working. ive tried cutting down but that dosnt seem to work.ive also tried quitting cold turkey but that didnt work either. how did you quit smoking?
It-s all about willpower. You have to want to quit. I have not had a smoke in 6 years because deep down I wanted to quit.
Pretty easy actually, just do not buy them, throw out the ones you have and stop yourself from buying new ones or asking people for ones.

as a person who has been around smokers a long time, and never really go hooked myself, because I tried smoking when I was 11 coughed a lot and had a foul taste in my mouth for the rest fo the day was enough for me to realize it wasn-t worth anything.
I did it! I quit smoking!

First of all, I was READY to quit, so nothing was going to stop me from reaching my goal. I think you have to be in this mental ready place FIRST. Then, you have to KNOW that you will be challenged again and again for years, so you have to have a strategy: Here was my strategy:

#1 - I put a rubber band on my wrist and when I had an urge I popped the rubber band to distract the desire to smoke.

.#2 I knew that my -habit- was REAL, so, I -materialized- my habit, gave it a name, and stood it in front of me. Whenever I had the urge to smoke, I-d pop and talk to the habit telling it, I KNOW you, I SEE YOU, and the answer is NO, I WILL NOT SMOKE.

#3 I got up went outside, or played my guitar, or went for a walk, or brushed my teeth or did SOMETHING ELSE to distract myself.

It only takes 3 seconds of distraction to defeat the -habit- each time the habit tempts you. BE READY. SEE IT. TELL IT NO every time!

Even years later the smoker habit still tries to tempt me. I always recognize it, stand it before me and tell it NO. It-s the devil. He can-t win if we expose him, pop him, and tell him NO. lol
Go onto the NHS -go smoke free- website register - you will be sent a DVD plus other info on ways to stop - its free!
Im using patches but many other possible ways to quit - im on three weeks four days - counting.
Or go - see your GP - there is lots of people willing to help in this day and age.
Also try - keep busy during the first few weeks doing different things to normal
I used a support group and have been clean for 5 years now..

Nicotine Anonymous is a Non-Profit 12 Step Fellowship of men and women helping each other live nicotine-free lives. Nicotine Anonymous welcomes all those seeking freedom from nicotine addiction, including those using cessation programs and nicotine withdrawal aids. The primary purpose of Nicotine Anonymous is to help all those who would like to cease using tobacco and nicotine products in any form. The Fellowship offers group support and recovery using the 12 Steps as adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous to achieve abstinence from nicotine.
Throw away all your cigarettes, and don-t allow yourself to buy new ones.

Any time you are tempted to buy a pack of cigarettes, get yourself something else. A pack of gum, liquorice, jerky... anything that will keep your mouth busy.
lol My mom is 53 yrs ols and smoked when she was 15. After she told me her lungs started hurting she decided to stop cold turkey. She lost a few pounds in a week. Maybe you should think of the benefits to help you quit.
just stop. people make it out to be so hard. if you really want to quit you will. thats what i did. cold turkey.
Okay, here is the irony:

* You say quit smoking with out drugs

* You say -cold turkey- is not an option
cold turkey, it was horrible but I-m glad I did it. Laid them down and never looked back.
im working on quitting too
i chew gum and eat tons of sun flower seeds
seems to be working
Try chewing gum instead or eat some sunflower seeds or something.Hope that works
How do you quit smoking without any drugs? -