If you have quit drinking alcohol and/or quit smoking cigarettes, How did you do it? -

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If you have quit drinking alcohol and/or quit smoking cigarettes, How did you do it? -


It just doesn-t seem that I can quit either, no matter how hard that I try. What do you think is MY problem? I just want to be free of both of these vices. Thank You !!!!!
Well I-ve never smoked so I can-t help you there. However I used to drink. Quite heavily. I-ve been sober now for 6 years 5 months and 7 days. I did it the hard way. Cold turkey. I would suggest that you check into A.A. I never went myself but they-ve helped a lot of people. You could also talk to a doctor. There are many things you can do, however you must really want to quit. Otherwise nothing will help. I hope you are able to find something that works for you. Good luck.
I can help you with the quitting smoking. If you have alcoholism, you need to see a doctor for more info ASAP- alcholism is a disease, but smoking is an addiction. I quit smoking by weening myself for a few months until I was no longer smoking. The urge subsides every week until its so little of a craving that you can ignore it. Its a choice- you have to want to stop smoking and hate what its doing to you. Then you have to realize that your brain has learned to function with this drug and has to relearn how to function without it. So, smoke 1 less cig a day until you are smoking like, 1 cig every 3 days...then half a cig...then quit. The after a month or two when you are going crazy- its ok to have a few puffs to calm your body, but after that- you must stop completely. ALSO you must replace smoking with jogging. I used to run then come home and shower and have a cig and some lemonade. LOL. BUT, you have to start jogging to you feel your lungs burn - get that rush from natural adrenaline. I have jogged twice a day since I quit in December 05 and after my mercy puffs in March 06- I have not smoked cigs since. Hookah - Pot are ok, but not until you are really free from the nicotine addiction.
Well for me it came with age that I stopped drinking (in excess) and smoking. I just got jadded partying all the time and spending$$$. Smoking was the challenging one, but the way I quit was to just ween myself off. I made myself a plan and stuck with it. I only allowed myself 3 cigarettes per day at first(i was smoking at least 10 cigs-1 pack per day)1 when i woke up, 1 after lunch, one and then my last cig an hour before bed time. After a week my body got used to the lower doses of nicotene and I eventually dropped down to 1 cig a day after 2 weeks of 3 cigs a day. Yesterday I dropped the one cig a day! I have not smoked today and do not feel the urge even seeing this question does not make me want to smoke. The drinking will be the same too. I used to drink every night and party hard. I slowly limited my drinking, instead of drinking 8 hrs straight, now I just enjoy a glass or two of wine or beer, hell maybe even a cocktail once every 3 days. Hope this helps cuz I know it-s hard, but if I can do it You can DO it!! I smoked and drinked for over 13 yrs and I-m only 27 yrs old. Trust me..my friends all party and they tempt me, I just choose to not hang out with them and they know why cuz I was upfront with all of them. I am now making new friends who are either sobber or in the process of becoming. I dont do AA meetings cuz I believe that I have the strength to quuit anything..Testing myself is to me a spiritual cleansing of sorts..GOOD LUCK !!!
u must have the strong will to reject these two bad habits.stay at home everyday even after work,eat sour plum n hack sweet with strong mint if u feel ur tongue is itchy.u w-d be ok if u can stand it more than 2 weeks.take care.
I was one of the lucky ones i was able to just put the cigarettes down ! good luck!
was smoking for 22 years threw cigarette simply , broke off the remaining 8 packs and quit for ever. now 17 years passed by grace of God never liked it again. drink i never exceeded one or max two a day
As far as smoking, you can-t quit unless you want to, I switched to the small cigars (ERIC ) I still smoke but a heck of a lot less. I know too many people that quit and ended up getting lung cancer. Alcohol: I will never recommend an AA program. Iv-e been 4 AA programs we were drinking as a in-patient status let alone out-patient. I quit when it was almost to late. Went to the hospital with a bad back, it ended up being Cirosis of the liver. The doctors gave me 3 mo. if I didn-t stop 6mo. to 3 years with a transplant if all went well. I quit cold turkey. I had a veraces bleed 9 mo later where I was legally dead for almost 9 min. that happened twice. I still have scar tissue on my liver, no tumors have developed, which usually happens. June 11th will be 9 years clean. just keep it in your mind : think of what you might miss and not what you missed. If I can do it anybody can.
First, know that you can never successfully quit more than one vice at a time--proven fact.

Pick one (alcohol is usually easier, unless you have been drinking morning, noon and night for many years--or if you-ve only been smoking for a very short time). If you can-t quit cold turkey, reduce the amount you drink daily, until you can stop without withdrawal. If your problem is severe, a doctor can help you with a prescription...

Be off the alcohol for at least a month before you start weaning yourself off the smokes. This is much more difficult for most people (unless they smoke very little, and have only been doing so for a short time). The American Heart Association and the Cancer sites have useful aids - check them out.

Good luck, I don-t do one of the above at all, and haven-t for years. The other keeps coming back to haunt me.
My friend used the patches to quit smoking, he said they really worked well. My boyfriend-s doctor gave him some kind of prescription pill to help him stop drinking, he said it did help to get rid of the craving.
For the drinking - try AA - you will have support from other people and it really helps!

For the Smoking:
I know this may sound weird, but Bananas can help people trying to give up smoking. The B-6 and B-12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Potassium is a vital mineral which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body-s water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be re-balanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

So try eating some bananas :)

Some of the addiction is oral and normalacy... when you normally have cigarettes, that-s when you crave them... one of my friends would always have a ballpoint pen with her ... she would hold it in her hand like she would when she was a smoker... and if she had the oral craving, she would chew on the pen... sounds weird, but worked for her :)
quit cold turkey... its hard but its the best. the first few days are critical. also keep yourself active when youre quitting it helps.
Smoking and alcohol are both very addicting and legal which makes it harder to quit.

If you can-t do it alone get help there are many programs and groups for both, but; maybe you should do one at a time, trying to kick both together may be your problem, try to stop drinking first, and when you succeed you can tackle smoking.

I-m sorry the way I quit smoking won-t help you. I quit a long time ago, I was very lucky, I just stopped, maybe it-s because I was never a heavy smoker, I feel blessed in that way. I truly wish you could do the same. I don-t drink.

I admire you for wanting to do this, I wish you luck.
You will have to be positive to leave these vices. As for drinking, there is Alcoholic Annonymous (an association found by the drinkers, who wanted to quite drinking).
I quit smoking using the pill -chantix- it worked realy good I-ve been quit for almost 2 mo.s now I still have urges but they are slowly going away.I smoked for 15 yrs.and couldnt believe I did it.it-s the smartest thing I have ever done:)
You probably don-t really want to quit them, even though you think you do and know you should.

I quit smoking about 36 years ago, and did it cold turkey. I still like to drink a little beer, but don-t drink to excess. If I quit alcohol I would quit the same way I quit smoking. Cold turkey. I know I can if I want to.

You might want to try a support group. There are also some aids, such as gums and patches, that can help you quit. See your physician before using these. Don-t try quitting when you are under a lot of stress--the quitting will increase the stress and add to your problems.
Well, let-s start with the cliche answers first-
Go to AA(one of my personal favourites[*yawn*])
Go to rehab(not a bad option really)
Find something to live for(That one is a joke)
Go to a dr(yeah, good luck finding one that knows anything about the disease)

Ok, Now for a little reality. For me, I had lost my family, friends, money, prestige, self-respect... you name it- if I ever had it, it was gone. Then through an interesting turn of events(that I won-t get into for now), I ended up in a homeless shelter for two nights. Sleeping on the floor of a home-less shelter.... ME!!! I couldn-t believe where my alcoholism had landed ME. Well, sleeping there for two nights, eating whatever garbage the area business were kind enuff to donate, wondering if -those people- would steal my socks off my feet while I was sleeping. I found a bottom that I hope I will never have to see again. I was well informed on the AA plan of recovery by then(I had about 4 yrs in the halls), but that-s when I knew it was the end of the line for me. I HAD TO apply the principles and the plan of action I had learned in those meetings. For me, those two nights forged a bond between me and my maker that pray will never be broken. I thank God everyday for keeping me safe and for giving me that experience. I haven-t really thanked the girl that landed me there yet, but deep in my heart I know why she came into my life.

Ok, so now I-m about to start rambling, but thanks for posting this question. I needed to share that with someone. Hope it helps. Good luck friend.
Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dieing-
cold turkey. I am so proud of my self.
IGNORE The Cold Tukey IF You Are Addicted To The Alcohol And NEED It Daily ..

Cold Turkey Can Cause Alcoholic Fits Which Can And Has Ended In Death If You Are Regular Drinker And Stop Suddenly.

Seek Proffessional Help , As NOBODY Should Ever Tell You To Just STOP

Feel Free To Contact me If You Wish To Chat Or Ask Any Questions Please

I was given 6 months to live almost 3 years ago, and had to be taken off the booze safely with alcohol detox and with support, and now here to help others and also setting up my own project to assist with support and awareness on the TRUTH about alcohol and how to get PROPER help ..

Thank you - look Forward To Hearing From You

Take Care

Brian xxx
Well I never was a drinker but I smoked untill I had Larynx Cancer and had to have a Laryngectomee Operation I lost my voice and have to breath through a hole in my neck Guess I-m lucky I don-t have lung cancer Think about what your doing to yourself and put them down before its too late...Believe me it can happen to you too...
I quit smoking 7 years ago. They still smell really good, on days when things are tough, but I manage to stay quit. What I did was a combination of the things others have told you. I weaned myself down to what I thought a reasonable number of cigarettes per day would be: for me, it was five. I did that for a month or so, then got the nicotine patch and chewed gum like I was crazy for it (sugarless, of course). I chewed so much gum that my jaws were tired, but it worked.
The thing is, if you-re giving up one habit, then you should replace it with another. Smoking reflects an oral fixation, and there are psychological reasons why certain people smoke and why others have absolutely no interest. You and I are among the group of people who have an oral fixation. So you-ll want to be sure to satiate that desire for something in your mouth with something less toxic - that-s why I chose gum.
i quit both last year in feb. my solution was i stopped going to places where i would drink and or smoke . i excluded myself from tempting situations. it helped me i haven-t drank or smoke since then. the main thing is that i asked jesus to help me.
If you have quit drinking alcohol and/or quit smoking cigarettes, How did you do it? -